Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018

Dress shopping - going it alone!?

SoontobeMrsS, 7 of November of 2016 at 14:12 Posted on Planning 0 13

I want to go and try on a very particular (floral!) dress I've found online which is in London (so, with tubes, probably only 35 mins from me but still a little bit of a trek). I'll probably try more on when I'm there as I don't know what will suit me, but I'm wondering if it'll be weird to go alone?
I'd feel like I was inconveniencing people if I asked them to come with me to figure out "roughly" what I want, and what if it takes several visits? On the other hand, will it be a sad experience if it's just me. I reckon I'm likely to get flustered if there's a pushy sales person.
I was thinking of asking either my MIL or one of my best friends to come with me, but at the same time feel awful at the thought of inconveniencing them and nothing coming of it (I'm awful for this - won't even ask people to do stuff on my birthday as it feels too self-indulgent!)
Can someone please tell me they went alone and it was fine, or give me a virtual slap?
Also, what do I wear? Can I wear makeup? Do I need a strapless bra?

13 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 8 of November of 2016 at 16:03
  • L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

I am certain you will inconvience no one!! who wouldnt loved to be invited to go wedding dress shopping with someone else!

Does you MIL have any daughters? Bet she would be honoured for you to ask her to go with you anyway

However i also think it perfectly acceptable to go it alone if thats what you want but i would certainly ask first bet you will be surprised

i wore my usual make up with maybe a bit extra eyeliner and bit of lippy so i felt good when trying on, i took a clip as well as tried my hair in a few different styles just to get an idea

i didnt worry about strapless bra as i hate wearing them as arulwe but if you have one and its comfy for a day of shopping then go for it xx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I love a floral dress - I'll come with you! ?

I agree with Lou - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you ask your MIL or your friends to go with you, you can make a day of it with some lunch etc & it'll be fun! However, also nothing wrong with going on your own.

I went out for the day to three shops with my two BMs initially, then on a whim popped into another two shops in the week on my own & actually I found more that I liked on that day than I did when my friends were with me - I don't know if it felt like less pressure maybe to find 'the one' & therefore I felt a bit more relaxed? I then went a few weeks later to an appointment with my sister & that's where I found my dress.

I didn't wear a strapless bra, I just slipped the straps down when trying on dresses - I think I just did the usual amount of make up too - I was asked to wash my hands in one of the shops before picking out dresses but everyone else seemed relaxed - however I don't tend to wear too much & would have been mortified if I'd messed up any of their dresses!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lou,

Yes MIL has a daughter, who will be a BM and still lives at home but is a bit of a party girl so isn't usually around on weekends (and if she is she's usually recovering from a night out!). I'd probably extend the invitation to her too, but let her know there's no pressure to come if it's not a v. exciting way to spend a Saturday.

We have talked about going, and MIL is really really keen on being involved with hen stuff (if I do anything!) but I feel like she might find it weird me asking in 2016 when we're marrying in 2018.

I overthink absolutely everything haha!

The clip is a good idea...wouldn't have thought of that!

xx

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Which floral dress do you have Chapples? I've fallen in love with a Wendy Makin one which looks horrid online but amazing on a real bride I've seen. It might look awful on me but I don't think I'll be able to look at anything else until I've tried it on! I feel all uncharacteristically girly and excited.

Just text MIL and she said "of course. how exciting!!! lunch too? xxx". Appears I was worrying for nothing.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

That's great news SoontobeMrsS Smiley smile Hope you have a lovely day

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

Yay fab stuff

i always overthink stuff too but i would bet on your SIL wanting to come as well xx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay! Great news!

I haven't gone for a floral one in the end but my two faves before I tried any on were both floral - a Charlotte Balbier one & a Lillian West one from a few seasons ago - I ended up trying neither on (the CB one because it was out of budget & the LW one because I couldn't find anywhere nearby that had a sample), but I have gone for a slightly different dress to the norm - I just googled the Wendy Makin one - it's AMAZING! Oh I hope you love it!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh just googled those and they look amazing. I've got obsessed with the Wendy Makin one after seeing This wedding video a lady posted on a FB group I'm on (will remove link in a day or two...it's such an amazing wedding in general and I'm obsessed with it)

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I love it with the net overlay - serious dress envy now!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SunnyGreenConfetti675 ·
    • Hide content

I went with my MOH last week and didn't find anything I liked and really felt like I needed to pick something because I had wasted her time. My friend is going by herself, I think sometimes it's nicer as you can take your time. I didn't take a strapless Bra but did my hair just to see what it would look like down. Wedding dress shopping part 2 next week! Hope you find something you love.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's what I'm worried about! Anyway, now we're going with the in laws to a show in London in a couple of weeks, so me, SIL and MIL will sneak off to the shop for a couple of hours in the day whilst OH and FIL go to the pub or something, then we will meet for lunch and go to the show. Hopefully means it's more of a casual trip to a shop rather than a day All About Me.

• S
    Beginner March 2019
    SunnyBlueCakes703 ·
    • Hide content

I've just got engaged and I'm planning on taking my bridesmaids, mother-in-law and mum along to a few shops with me Smiley smile They've all said they wouldn't miss it for the world so I figured it's guilt free fun!? Think I'm going to ply myself with make up to make sure I get a good image of how I'll look on the day in my dream dress ? Does anyone know where the best place to try veils on is? Is there a specific veil shop or do you just try in the dress shops? Thanks! XO

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm definitely the same when it comes to worrying that I'll inconvenience people! I went with my mum the first time, worked out what I liked etc but then went on a whim to a sample sale by myself and bought one! It was a bit weird being on my own but everyone in the shop was so nice.

It sounds like your MIL and SIL are well up for it so hopefully you'll have a lovely time! x

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Great news - pleased you've got it sorted!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics