Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emmy1102
Beginner September 2016

Dress too white for guest

Emmy1102, 2 of April of 2016 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 32

Do you think that this dress is too white to wear as a guest to a wedding?

32 replies

Latest activity by Karen84, 4 of April of 2016 at 13:48
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Well my rule is white dresses must have a heavy print and it is printed but if in doubt its always better to pick something else

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LauraLtobe ·
    • Hide content

In a perfectly rational frame of mind I'd say yes. But in a bride frame of mine I'd say why not just get another dress? It's not worth the potential upset and if you've thought it might be too white then you might be conscious of that on the day (I know I would be).

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

It wouldn't bother me as its nothing like a wedding dress.

However because you have had to ask suggests you might end up feeling uncomfortable if you was to wear it, which could spoil the day for you.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a beautiful dress and fine to wear as a guest to a wedding.

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

Go for it, it's beautiful. You could wear accessories that pick up some of the colours in the print so the white isn't as obvious, if you're worried.

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

It's not for me to wear, my mother likes it for my wedding and I'm not sure how I would feel about her wearing it.

Part of me thinks that it's my mother and I don't care what she wears, it's a lovely dress and it does have a colourful print, but another part of me thinks that there is a lot of white space on it.

Also, her dress is true white whilst mine is ivory, and I've gone for a 50s length dress so hers would be longer than mine too... I think I'm just being silly and I don't want to upset my mum, especially if she's struggling to find a dress that she likes, but I just wanted the opinions of some other brides!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    LauraLtobe ·
    • Hide content

My Mum also picked up a white dress covered in flowers for our wedding - I told her we should go and choose a tiara fornher too Smiley winking

She has since found a green dress to wear which is lovely. Like others have said, if she picks out the colour and matches this to her jewellery/shoes/bag/hat (if she is wearing one) then it would be okay. I didn't want my mum to wear predominantly white as she would be in a lot of the photographs, my only real bridezilla moment so far I think.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

My mum has picked this dress for my wedding too... I did remark how white it was and she got worried about it. Honestly I would rather she didn't wear it but she has struggled to find something she likes and at least all of her accessories are going to be fuchsia or green to pick out the colourful element of the dress. Her go to colour is usually black, which I had asked her to steer clear of so I can't complain too much even if she did end up on the opposite side of the spectrum!

Also, my dress is full length lace so I think it'll be different enough so I decided to let it go. If you're truly unhappy then you should speak to your mum. They actually have the exact same dress in navy blue if that helps?

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

My mam is wearing a white shift dress with pale pink embroidery (so far!). I don't mind at all, I don't think I'd even be bothered if anyone turned up wearing white. Although I do think it's just tempting fate too much, what with one of my main meals having lots of gravy on it and one of the starters being tomato soup!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

If I were you I would consider how you would feel on the day and then after if you're looking back at your photos and seeing your mum standing next to you in that dress. If she hasn't been to try it on yet maybe go to the shop with her so she can try it on and pair it with brighter coloured accessories and see how you feel. Above all be honest with her, she most likely wont want to make your day less special, if she has to look for alternatives you could help her, make a nice day/ afternoon of it.

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

She's out trying them on with my sister as we speak but every other dress she tries on no matter how lovely they look (many of them suit her much better even) she says that they aren't special enough!

I might ask that they try it on again with colourful accessories and send me a picture to see whether that makes me feel any better.

I feel like I'm being so silly because this is my mum, I'm sure that on the day I won't even notice what she's wearing! But right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that she'll find another dress, but it's already looking like she's got her heart set on it! Smiley sad

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and her second favourite is the bridesmaids dresses but in a different colour... Part of me wonders if she's doing this deliberately! ?

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the same problem, as my mom has only seen light colours/white dresses that she likes (what is it with Mom's and choosing these?!) I've also dropped the 'it's a bit white comment' in the hope it goes through.

I think that dress is lovely, with a colourful cardy and accessories I don't think it would look as white Smiley smile

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all of the advice! My sister mentioned that it was too long (my mum is tiny) and would need to be taken up which would get rid of quite a bit of white from the bottom, add a colourful cardigan and it's going to be great... But now my mum is worried that's it's too white and wouldn't wear it even if I bought it for her!

This is what happens when I open my big, stupid mouth!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Thats definitely not too white it has a pattern on it and nothing like a wedding dress!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

to be fair it really all depeds on the wedding... there is no such thing as a 'wedding dress' - ive seen black wedding dress, red wedding dresses, patterned wedding dresses and short wedding dresses and thats just from my friends weddings... Im also not wearing a 'wedding' dress to mine but I spent a lot of time designing an on line infomation sheet about the style of our wedding (casual) and including examples of appropriate and non appropriate clothing (as I always hate this guessing game and mine field with weddings of whats appropriate as its changed over the years and by indervidual people) so id be damn well pissed if someone ignored our dress sugestions and wore something similar to my dress just because its not what they deem a 'wedding' dress

I do agree in general I dont think most people would wear this for their 'bridal' look but it could very well be someone somewheres wedding dress

• S
    Beginner March 2017
    SparkleyBean ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a perfect dress for a guest or mother of the bride to wear.

Unless she's going to be carrying a bouquet of flowers & wearing a veil I'm sure no one will think she's the bride!

• S
    Beginner March 2017
    SparkleyBean ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've told your guests what they can & can't wear? That's a bit OTT isn't it?

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely MOB dress

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

' You've told your guests what they can & can't wear? That's a bit OTT isn't it?'

nope... common sense actually, if people wear 'normal' wedding attire to our wedding they will look stupid because we are not having a 'normal' wedding, instead of leaving them to bumble around blindly we creat a suggestion page with photos of guest outfits from similar style weddings including 'normal' ettiquette 'no-nos' such as all black dress or jeans are allowed, to be honest they can wear a suit or tux or ballgown if they want but they will look like an absolout pillock next to everyone else and be self concous all day (I doubt we will have a problem as no one in our family like suits anyway)

the one rule is 'dont wear white' - if they dont have the common curtousy to follow that one simple requested and common ettiquette note then frankly I dont want them at my wedding... not bridezilla just a lack of respect from their side and something someone close to us wouldn't do

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine. Just wear it with a coloured jacket/cardi/wrap and maybe add a coloured hat or fascinator.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh that dress is lovely. I don't think it matters much that it's white (I think it matters less if it's your mum, than if it's a guest!)... Although the navy version might be a good compromise.

My only concern would be the photos - if your dress is Ivory. Could you drop your photographer a line with pics of both dresses, just to check that your dress won't look look off-coloured in the family photos? That way if you decide the white dress does bother you, you can blame the photographer and not be been as brideZilla-ish in the slightest!

Just my two cents' worth... Otherwise I think the dress is lovely and it's a beautiful choice from your mum Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had the same thought. My mom wasn't aware that it's very common for brides to wear ivory nowadays and she had some concerns when we were purchasing it. The bridal consultant told her it wouldn't look yellow as long as we didn't let anything white near it. So tablecloths, groomsmen shirts, everything that would otherwise be white should be ivory so the colors look consistent.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's good that you provided guidance to your guests as going for a more casual style but examples sounds a bit OTT! If I'm honest I couldn't tell you a single item of clothing any of my guests wore on our wedding day! Unless I look a photos it's a complete blank - not because I didn't talk to them or spend time with them but because I was enjoying myself and loving every minute with my new husband. Apparently some of our guests got changed in the evening into jeans (we had camping onsite and a barn on a farm reception (it's not a wedding venue barn) - didn't notice at all and it wouldn't have bothered me anyway whatever they felt comfortable in.

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my goodness I'd not even considered this! So this means that the men should have ivory shirts?!

This all seems like so much more hassle than I expected it to be, now I finally understand why brides say wedding planning is stressful!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

I'm not actually sure - I've not got to that stage yet... Only bought the Ivory dress! But yes... I think so(?). Maybe someone else who knows more can be of better help? When I was looking up Ivory dresses (as really I wanted a white one bit for this at such a bargain I couldn't not buy it!), the Internet said Ivory looks white until it's next to *actually* white stuff, then it looks a bit 'off'. Your best best would be to give your photographer a call - I'm sure he would be able to advise! I wouldn't worry about just general mingling as you'll be all over the place anyway ... But I'd check that the photos will turn out just the way you want them!

Sorry if I've worried you more... :/

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha that's ok, it's just another thing that I'd not thought of so I'm glad you mentioned it!

I wanted a white dress too but the shop I went to didn't stock a single one for me to try on, the shop owner said she hadn't sold one in over 10 years because of how unflattering and unpopular they were, so I didn't want to take the risk! But in the end I fell in love with my ivory dress anyway!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Reeeeally? I'd never even heard of Ivory dresses until I got engaged - I just assumed that a white dress is a white dress! It never even occurred to me that there are different shades!

Anyway I felt guilty about adding another concern to your list (plus I need to know anyway!) so I did a quick google... There is lots of debate about matching Ivory dresses with shorts or not... Some women are going to far as to ensure matching Ivory chair covers and table clothes (!!!). But most seem to say that as long as your shoes go with your dress, it doesn't matter what else is white if you are wearing ivory. So I wouldn't worry - your photographer or dress shop can probably give you better advice though! (and on your mum's dress too!)

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I tried a white dress and it was just too white on my very pale skin. I'd never really noticed the shade difference until I started to try them on and compare them next to each other. As for matching shirts...hadn't even crossed my mind!

• o0o_Charlie_o0o
    Beginner August 2016
    o0o_Charlie_o0o ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would prefer my mum didn't wear a dress where the main colour was white, my dress is ivory but I would still be a little gutted if my mum decided to wear white but Iv a feeling she will wear white... She wore a white dress to my brothers wedding, no pattern on it just white! We are having our make up and hair trials this month and Iv decided to have my hair pinned up with bits of curls falling down like around my face, and makeup I want the old 50s Audrey Hepburn style make up, I told my mum all this and what happens the other day?.. She said she wants to book in with us to have hair and make up trials and she wants her hair pinned up with curls falling around her face and Audrey Hepburn style makeup..... My step dad laughed and said she is going to upstage the bride, although inside I was gutted that she is going to do her hair and makeup this way I know my mum and know it would cause an argument if I say no, so I just said no she won't upstage me she's a different person and yea go for it have ur hair and make up that way, I think she can do what she likes she will anyway lol plus I'm 30 years old she is 55 we will look completely different, easier to let her do it than have an argument over it, I swear she knlws she shouldn't 'copy' hair and makeup or wear white dresses but she just can't help herself

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

Well I'm glad it's not just me, but I think I'm going to just accept the fact that mums do these things! There's still 5 months for her to change her mind!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I love the dress OP and I think it's great for a wedding.

Personally though, I just want my mum to feel happy and comfortable so it doesn't bother me what she wears. I know she is fond of white/ivory outfits so I said she should go for it if that's what she wants. No one is going to mistake her for the bride!

My MIL also likes an outfit that is a similar shade to the BM dresses but I think that is fine too as long as she's happy with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics