Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SaraPoppy
Dedicated July 2020

Dress wobble

SaraPoppy, 11 of December of 2014 at 12:21 Posted on Planning 0 20

I found my dress 3 months ago and I loved it. I paid half the balance and have been putting aside the rest of the money. However I know having a bit f a wobble. It's completely different to what I thought I wanted and now wedding dresses keep popping up on Facebook and Instagram and I'm starting to think I've made the wrong decision. When I was trying on the dresses I kept saying I wanted more drama after initially thinking I wanted a fishtail dress. I said it's the only day I can wear a big dress and feel like a princess. The problem now is I want to feel like a woman not a little girl in fancy dress. I'll be 30 when we get married so I'm a bit worried I'm too old for a princess dress. Also I bought an underskirt and when my mum saw it she said it looked like something from 'My big fat gypsy wedding' I can't get that out of head my now. Is anyone else going through this? I can't afford to get another dress. I don't know what to do! Here is my dress...

20 replies

Latest activity by Fairytales19, 16 of December of 2014 at 09:54
  • J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Yep, this is me!

i always said if I got married before I was 30 I'd have a big dress and over 30, something more appropriate! Well I'll be 34 and this is my dress. I tried lots of mermaid style dresses on and I never felt 100% in them. I'm not a very sophisticated person and it felt like I was trying to be something I'm not. I'm girly and like pink and princesses and have been waiting to get married since I was a little girl designing my own (big!) dresses!

I too see gorgeous fitted dresses all the time though and think 'oops, what have I done?' But then I remember how beautiful I felt in my dress - like a 'real' bride and exactly how I imagined I would feel. Your dress is stunning and I guarantee on the day you won't regret it xx

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I think it a stunning dress and you mums comment was silly it's nothing like MBFGW! When I went shopping I was stuck between a big dress and a mermaid style. I went for the mermaid in the end but still have wobbles over whether I should have gone for the big dress! (And I'll be 30 when we marry as well). There's just so many georgous dresses out there that it's so hard picking just one! As long as you love the dress and feel great in it then that's all that matters.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Its beautiful. ?

I think we have all had dress wobbles. I dont think you are too old at all for a dress like that. Ring the shop, as them if you can try the dress on again, i'm sure you will feel the way you did when you choose it if you try it on again.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

It's a beautiful dress!

I'm 44 and had a big "age related" debate with myself, then thought what the heck....I am a bride, and I will wear whatever I want to wear!

I am going for the mermaid style, but only because I went for the big skirted look at my first wedding, and simply wanted to be different from that. I did, however, try some big dresses on in the store, and loved them - had I not had the "first wedding/second wedding" issue, I would have been finding myself with a very difficult decision to make.

So, if you love it, then stick with it - age is merely a number. And if anyone makes negative comments, its only because they're jealous that they're not going to look as stunning!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I can totally understand the wobbles, I've had a few, especially after the first fitting didn't really go to plan at all, and second one made me feel fat.... but that was bad seamstresses not a bad dress.

I think it's the fact that you've gone for something that wasn't what you originally imagined (mine either) so it throws you when you see things closer to your original ideal online. Stick to your guns and remember how you felt when you tried it on and knew it was right.

It's an absolutely stunning gown, you're going to look totally, utterly fantastic!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I think that the dresses you ladies have picked are stunning! They are really elegant, and there's no age limit on that!

Maybe ask to try it on again, I'm sure the feeling will come rushing back and you'll feel reassured Smiley smile

x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Well done, mum... Smiley winking

Don't listen to her. It's a lovely dress. And wobbles are totally and completely normal. I consider myself to be a relatively level headed person and I had a near breakdown about mine. On the day I absolutely loved it and looking back I can't believe I ever doubted it.

Stick with it - I promise on the day you'll fall in love with it all over again.

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    EssexBride89 ·
    • Hide content

SaraPoppy your dress is beautiful! In fact I very nearly went for it myself. Have you bought it in the moscatto blush colour? The fabric is so lovely and soft! It is definately not MBFGW! The skirt part is very plain and other than the beautiful belt I actually think it is quite understated!

I am the same in that I didn't ever think I would have a big dress but when I tried on the fishtail and mermaid style dresses they just did nothing for me so in the end the style picked me.

I see so many dresses and think what have I done! For instance recently looking at the Elizabeth Stuart 2 piece bridal gowns, I wondered if I should have been a "cooler" bride than I will be in the traditional dress that I have gone for...but what you have to remember is that there must be a reason that of all the dresses you tried, you went for this one. Why don't you try to go back to the store and try it again to remind yourself how good you feel in it?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry. It's perfectly normal to have wobbles about the dress. I have them on a weekly basis. Especially as my dress is nothing like I imagined myself in. I wanted a lace fishtail dress but mine is more fit and flare style and very blingy. All the ones that I imagined would be perfect looked awful on me. I have to keep remembering that rather than how gorgeous they look on the models in the ads.

If in doubt phone the bridal shop and ask to try the sample on again. It will reaffirm what it was about the dress that made you buy it in the first place. Having a wobble doesn't mean you made the wrong decision. When else in our lives do we buy a dress that we aren't going to wear for months (or years) and can't even try it on again as it is kept elsewhere!! Madness!!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Stunning dresses! No wobbles allowed! You chose them for a reason, you'll look amazing, don't worry!

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for reassuring me everyone! I think I should call the shop and try on the sample again. I really wanted to wait until my dress was in but I have no idea when that will be. I'm glad I can get away with this style at 30! I've shown a couple of people and they really like the dress but they had said they would never have put me in it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not?

EssexBride- I've ordered the dress in ivory. I tried on the blush colour and fell in love with it. It was actually the colour that attracted me to the dress in the first place. But my mum said no! She said it looked dirty :-( I think that's what half the problem is. I haven't seen it in ivory and although I've seen a lot of other ivory dresses I can't quite picture my dress.

My nickname is 'Princess' (Sara means Princess) so I thought this style was quite fitting!xx

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

It's a lovely dress! You'll look stunning in it.

I wouldn't worry about what your mum thinks. It's a very classy princess dress so there's nothing to be worried about.

Hope you enjoy trying it on again!

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE your dress (and the other one that someone flashed too!) and I think it will look gorgeous. 30 really isn't old to get married these days and these dresses are designed for women, not girls, after all!

I too have dress wobbles, I think it is natural. My dress (less formal than most as it's a teeny wedding) is not what I intended at all but I fell in love with it. I am worried about it but realistically, I think I would worry about any dress! I am 34 but my OH is ten years younger (I've heard every joke!) so this is on my mind a bit too, as although most people assume I am actually younger than him, I have a pathological fear of looking like an old woman next to him lol.

Relax; who knows why your mum said that but perhaps that's her character? My mum is similar. You have to try and zone it out x

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is lovely, i was having 2nd thoughts about mine too.

did it make you feel amazing when you tried it on, if so thats all that matters Smiley smile

if you really have changed your mind, have a word with the shop to see if they would let you move the deposit onto another dress.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Flippin 'eck. 30 isn't old! (I say as a 30 year old desperately clinging on to my youthSmiley winking) I'm actively looking for dresses that aren't frumpy and make me feel the age I feel not the age I am.

Your dress is gorgeous. Elegant and classy and in no way 'gypsy'. If you can't wear something like that when you get married when can you?

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Ignore your mum! My mum did a similar thing to me but I think she was lashing out a bit because I went rogue when buying my dress. Although I big dress, I think its still quite dramatic & striking.

As others are saying, you chose your dress you a reason....now it's time to take my own advice. Xx

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! I feel better today about it. I'm glad you all don't think it's a gypsy dress! I did love it when I tried on, I even cried! That's got to mean something! I just wish I could see it in ivory but they only have the sample in the blush.xx

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is beautiful!!! I saw it in the store I bought my dress and it's gorgeous! Such a timeless elegant dress.

• L
    Beginner November 2014
    LoveWeddiings ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

SaraPoppy your dress is gorgeous!

I love this one http://www.pinterest.com/pin/390616967653822137/ , and i like the photography style http://www.pinterest.com/peterlane/hollywood-dreams-2015-collection-by-london-wedding/ Smiley smile

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is stunning! It's natural to have a bit of a wobble about it but when you try it on hopefully you will get 'that' feeling again and know you've made the right decision.

Maybe you can go and try it on again? Or maybe have a chat with the shop to see if you could exchange it or something? It will probably cost but they might be able to sort something out which isn't the full price of a new dress.

Keep smiling

x

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful dress! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics