Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner November 2017

Dress worries

Willows2B, 27 of July of 2017 at 10:03 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi lovely brides!

I'm having some worries about my dress Smiley sad I'm getting married on November 19th, and bought my dress last October at a sample sale. It was actually brand new and I got it for a brilliant price. I got my alterations done in February which was really the first time I'd tried it on since the wedding. I was a bit worried at the time that it was a little tight but I was bigger then than usual due to some health stuff. I had it let our a little at the hips and also had the sleeves (cap sleeves) and neckline taken in as they were too big.

I tried it on again last night when one of my BMs was over and I'm still worried about the size. I'm smaller now, and pretty slight so I can't really lose anymore weight. The problem is that for my size I have quite big hips, compared to my (non-existent!) chest and waist area by hips are wider than would be expected. The dress has boning and I think the difference in size between my top and hips is causing it to be uncomfortable.

At the same time I've never worn anything with boning before and maybe that's just how it SHOULD feel, but I'm really worried about being in the dress for so long and being uncomfortable Smiley sad When I sit down, as my hips spread out the boning is pushed up and it ends up raising the chest boning of the dress really high which looks stupid.

I really don't know what to do. The seamstress I used before lives really far away and isn't an option (she came with the deal when I bought the dress so that's why I used her before), plus I don't know if anything can actually be done. It has a zip back so not like I can just do it up less tight.

I love my dress on the hanger but right now I don't know if I love it on me Smiley sad

Also doesn't help that I just realised I can't lift my arms all the way up either!!

I don't know what advice I'm after really.. but feel better having written this out. Really just want to talk to H2B about it but I can't without revealing details about the dress!

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticYellowFlowers868, 22 of August of 2017 at 00:53
  • H
    Beginner July 2018
    HappyIvoryFlowers732 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! That's a tricky situation so I completely understand why you're worried. Did you totally love the dress when you first bought it and tried it on? I personally think it's really important to dress for your shape, so if you're worried about looking 'unbalanced' in a wedding dress you need to find a dress that really flatters you.

You've still got time so I'm going be radical and suggest that you go back to a dress shop to try on a slightly different shape to see how you feel? It might be that you realise you've made the right choice and the dress just needs adjustments, or it might be that you decide the dress you've bought it's 'the one', so you can then sell it.

I think comfort is really important because it's a long day, so maybe check with a skilled seamstress to see if there's anything she/he can do to adjust the dress/boning to make it more comfortable?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Long line boning can push clothing up and if too long in comparison to your torso make your dress uncomfortable, I'm not sure how you would alter it if you don't go to a seamstress which could work out as expensive as a new off the peg dress dependant upon what needs doing.

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both.

I definitely did love my dress when I first tried it on, although it was a rushed situation with it being a sample sale. I do love how it looks but it's the comfort part that's worrying. I also have nightmares of the zip busting or something.

Trying on some more dresses is a good idea, although slightly scared if I decided I loved another (which I could well do as I'm sure I would love most of them, they're so beautiful!) because of the money side of things and my dress now has been quite specifically altered to my shape I don't know if I could sell it easily.

MetalBride - I think you've hit it spot on there, the boning does seem too long in comparison to my torso, I'm annoyed now that the previous seamstress didn't pick up on this. I'm in a different area now so will need to find a seamstress I can trust which is scary!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I wear corsets with metal bones, when they're badly fitted boy do they hurt! If you Google local seamstresses or look on fb try and find reviews, see if anyone's got really positive ones. If your dress was expensive make sure that the seamstress has appropriate insurance just in case x

If you try shops like wed2b and try on lots of styles that might help x

Good luck x

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks MetalBride. I'm going to look for a reputable seamstress closer to home to ask for a second opinion! I looked up some information on boning and it's worrying because understand the dress needs it for structure and shortening the boning would be a huge job! It was originally quite expensive but I got it for a third of the price - would definitely want them to have insurance just in case!

• R
    RomanticYellowFlowers868 ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with happyivoryflowers. Being comfortable on the day and feeling absolutely beautiful is important. Check out some dresses on www.brideshopper.com. The range under BDD and Dakkasinda are made within 4-6 weeks and are returnable within 14 days. It's worth shopping round anyway... you could a beautiful dress elsewhere that fits perfectly.

All the best

R

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics