Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner February 2016

Dressing a staircase diy

2016bride88, 21 of May of 2014 at 08:30 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi ladies,

my venue isn't the most spectacular but once it's dresses it's lovely, but I need to dress the staircase and the lady who's is dressing my room is quoting £25, which seems a lot for organza lol. Any ideas or tips on how I would do it? Smiley smile

This is is it dressed by her -

I just don't know how much organza I would need and also anything else I can add rather than just organza.

thanks ladies Smiley smile x

12 replies

Latest activity by 2016bride88, 23 of May of 2014 at 14:22
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I would pay the £25 - not because of the cost of the organza but because I know that my swags along the bannisters would be lopsided, and I would get so stressed trying to get them right that I would end up spending more than the £25 on nerve-mending gin after the event.......!!!

It would take 2 of us to do such decorating, one to try and drape the stuff over the side, and one to stand at the other end of the room shouting "up a bit" or "a bit more to the left, no, to the left, no to MY left" type thing.

So, for me, I'd take the no-stress option and find the £25 in my budget somewhere!!

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Just re read my messages and she charges £75 Smiley sad bit steep I think x

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I'd see if I could meet in the middle somewhere pricewise. But for me I would still tend to pay in order to reduce my own stress.....it will depend on things like how much time you have yourself to do things like this - it won't just be a 5 minute, whizz around the tables, type job - it could take a novice a good hour or two, which might impact on your day too much. Of course, if you have someone to help you it would be better, but take into account whether anyone else will be at the venue at the time setting up tables etc that you might get in the way of (or they might get in your way etc).

I know it is easy to say "spend the money" and it sounds like it is money no object from my post, but it's not - I just tend to try and price things up in terms of the stress and time it would take me, and whether I can recoup that money/stress/time easily elsewhere to make up for it!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever seen the flower garland lights you can buy on ebay? I suggested them to a bride and they looked great as hotel decor.

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm very much I'd rather someone take the stress and pressure off me so might see if I can afford it. Thank you Smiley smile

oh no I haven't, I'll have a look,unless you have a link you could share please? Smiley smile I've bought garlands from china to dress mu chalkboard sign but I'd need a fair few for a staircase x

• *RMD*
    Beginner April 2015
    *RMD* ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest some sort of lighting aswell as think it would look lovely in the evening

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you just wrap fairy lights around it yourself? It would look really lovely although it will probably still cost £25 or more! x

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Oh this £75 is with lights too but now I'm wondering I think I could attempt myself with some organza and get fairy lights that are battery operated, my mum and mil to be are pretty creative Smiley smile ill rope some others into helping. Thanks ladies xx

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I would try & find the £75. By the time you've bought everything you want i.e. organza, garland, lights. Then spent the time stressing & dressing it, event hough £75 is, in my opinion not cheap, i do think it would be worth every penny for it to be done for you.

BUT....only you know if you can find that kind of money on top of everything else.

• GMC Weddings
    Beginner July 2014
    GMC Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi. I would also find the £75 if I could - takes the stress away from you!

Alternatively how about wrapping flower garlands round the banisters? Look on ebay for either second hand or from china if you have time to wait.

Are you going to put disposable camera's on the table - perfect for venues set like that! Smiley smile (I am being abit cheeky cause I do sell them on my website -see my signature) , but regardless of where you get them from, if you choose to disposable cameras are great fun! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Are you having chair covers and bows? If so I'd continue the theme and have some similar bows around the bannisters/along the balustrade, rather than the stretched swag. It doesn't look great for £75 on the photo you've provided, and you can buy sashes for £1 each incl postage on ebay to do it yourself very inexpensively.

If you do your own lights I suspect that the venue will require PAT testing if you want them plugged in, so battery operated will be your best bet. Will there be any reason for people to go up there or is it just the impact from floor level you are interested in: I ask because even without spindles on the balustrade you could attach something to weighted strings and hang them over the top at intervals.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I would save the money & not bother decorating the staircase, from the picture it doesn't seem that noticeable (sorry) . Although if you do want to decorate the staircase may be wrap ribbon round the Bannister with fairy lights might be easier to do & a bit cheaper. X

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. Yeah to be perfectly honest with you I'm not sure many of my guests would even notice. My wedding is going to be pretty laid back so may aswell save the money. The room with be dresses in chair covers and sashes so I'll just do odometer diy myself to the banister as someone has suggested Smiley smile xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics