Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pook82
Beginner August 2012

Drink quantities

Pook82, 6 March, 2012 at 13:16 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all

We've got the option to supply our own drinks at our venue but I'm having trouble working out exactly how much we will need and what. Here is what I'm thinking so far....

For post ceremony drinks (40 people):

Processo - 20 bottles
Pimms - 1 bottle
Beer - 10 (there will probably only be 5 people drinking beer at this stage)

For the wedding breakfast (40 people)

Wine - 20 bottles - what split of white/red/rose?
Beer - 10 (again 5 people drinking beer at this stage)
Soft drinks - say a jug of orange juice per table?

Evening drinks reception (150 people for 2 hours)

Processo - 75 bottles
Pimms - 3 bottles
Beer - 100 bottles

Toasts (150 people)

Processo - 25 bottles (allowing for 1 glass per person)

Party - 7pm to 1am (we realise not everyone will stay until 1am!)

We think we need to supply:

Wine
Beer
Vodka
Gin
Rum
Whiskey
Tequila (or another shot)
Mixers and soft drinks

This is where we're really stuck as I just don't know how much to allow? My worst nightmare would be to run out of drink! Also, we're thinking processo as it's cheaper than champers and we actually perfer it - but also quite like the idea of bucks fizz

Any comments/suggestions much appreciated!!

7 replies

Latest activity by Pook82, 9 March, 2012 at 10:24
  • D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a lot of prosecco to me! My venue manager advised that they only serve half a glass for toasts as a lot of people (particularly blokes) don't like that kind of drink. She said this ay you can serve about 12 people with one bottle!

I think generally servings of prosecco are smaller anyway so you wouldn't need as much as you've listed for the drinks receptions (2!) and bear in mind if they prefer beer they won't be drinking the prosecco as well.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Are your friends & family big drinkers?

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say around 70% of the guests will be big drinkers

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice so far!

We're providing free drinks all day/night and don't want to limit to to just beer and wine (though I understand that would be a lot easier!)

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I think you might have too much prosecco.

By your numbers an all day guest would have half a bottle after the ceremony, half a bottle of wine with dinner and another half bottle of prosecco at the evening reception then a glass of prosecco for the toasts. I know it's a long day but that's a lot for an average person and some people might be pretty smashed by the time of the evening party.

I would agree with the suggestion to look into shops that offer a buy back scheme for the wine and beer, I know Oddbins used to do this but there aren't many of them left.

As for the spirits, there are 28 shots in a standard 70cl bottle of spirits, that's assuming 25ml measures. I think if you feel you really need to buy spirits I'd just get one of each bottle unless you know 90% of your guests drink vodka. I'd also check what measures the bar person is using and if possible get them to use 25ml rather than 35ml so it goes further.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Ok, i think you have too much for drinks reception...if everyone has 2 glasses of prosecco thats 80 glasses, you get 6 in a bottle so you need around 13/14 bottles tops! then your bottle of pimms i would imagine will do around 6 jugs (depending how strong you want it...this should give most people a glass of pimms too with the beer drinkers having the beer) i think that 2 glasses of prosecco and a glass of pimms or beer is more than enough for a drinks reception...without food your guests will be v.tipsy!!

i think for the WB the wine in right...i would get more white than red (i have worked on a few weddings and red ALWAYS gets left) but i think the 20 bottles is fine!! and a jug of juice per table
    Smiley smile

for the evening reception i think the 75 bottles of prosecco may be too much again (450 glasses! for 150 people?!?!)

Toast is fine 1 glass each!

For the evening disco...

Wine ... i'd go for 70 bottles (ish)
    Beer ... i'd go for about 300 (at least, most guys i know will drink 6-10 beers at a wedding)

Vodka ... most of this, maybe 5-8 litre bottles (i drink vodka and on a night out i would drink 1/4 of a litre ish, although guests will already have had a lot of other drinks!!)
    Gin ... 3-5 litre bottles
    Rum ... 3-5 litre bottles
    Whiskey ... 2-3 litre bottles
    Tequila (or another shot) ... personally wouldn't bother with this
    Mixers and soft drinks ... LOTS!! juice is easy for 'soft drinks' but then i would get loads of lemonade and coke and some tonic!

At the end of the day personally i would rather buy WAY more than needed and take it home with me...if you drink anyway then all it will mean is that you have stocked up and won't need to purchase any alcohol for a while after the wedding...Like you i would be scared of running out, i think your reception and toast drinks sound more than enough...the evening is a difficult one but you can carry over any leftover prosecco/beer/pimms from the drinks receptions!

if you haven't already sent your invites out how about sending a little tick box thing with them asking what people drink (obviously not quantities) but that way if everyone puts vodka you know to get loads more vodka...if nobody says whiskey you know not to bother with whiskey etc??

Good Luck!! x

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much ladies! This is really helpful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics