Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner July 2014

Drink vouchers for day guests

Paranoid_Pixie_:), 27 of April of 2014 at 18:29 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello all

A bit of advice, we are not having drink packages, because I didn't like any of them Smiley winking Anyway, the venue has agreed to open the bar and we are creating 2x drink vouchers for each person. I have budgeted for £4 per drink for each guest. Should I put this limit on the voucher? or just ask the bar staff to quietly limit each guest? I am pretty sure the majority will go for a beer or wine, so I am worried they will then feel short changed if the glass of wine is only £3.00 a glass, but I am a bit worried about some guests taking the mick and getting a triple vodka and coke Smiley winking

What would you guys do? thanks in advance xx

9 replies

Latest activity by alabastamasta, 28 of April of 2014 at 17:22
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing the same but it's for a pint of beer from a barrel were putting on or a glass of prosecco that we're providing. If anyone wants anything else then they pay. X

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile Maybe I should put a list of drinks on voucher, e.g. wine, beer, single measure of spirit etc... ??

or maybe rather than voucher for each person I could do a table voucher and a tick list for ordering drinks on the back, so one person could take that to the bar, might help the bar staff too with serving? or do you think this too complicated? x

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

You are right I think I am thinking about this far too much, I should just go with the flow, I am sure no one would take advantage.

We are just going to pay the bar tab at the end I think, we haven't really discussed when they want payment to be honest. I just thought I would make a start on the vouchers so its something to tick off my list Smiley winking

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes you were thinking about it too much, LOL! Totally agree with Misshazzabelle. The voucher should just say '1 drink'. No one goes to a bar and thinks "but if I order red wine as my drink, that's slightly better value than if I ordered beer, as it's 50p more per glass...." The only time you do think along those lines is when considering whether to buy a plain old coke, before dismissing the idea out of your head as being a waste of the voucher!

The odd few people will ask the bar staff "can I get a double with this", just trying it on, to which the bar staff will laugh with them (or at them) and politely say no. It would indeed be too crass to state that fact on the voucher, and completely unnecessary.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

We paid for people to just order what they wanted from the bar and it went down really well. No one took the mic with it either. Quite a few had soft drinks as they were driving and it was lovely to see my Nan with a whiskey! Not one person ordered a double or triple shot of something.

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

I've seen a few people on here say that when they did free bars or similar they just said somewhere 'no doubles, bubbles or shots' which seems fine and fairly inoffensive to me, if you feel like you want to say anything at all.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably needed when there is a completely free bar (rather than 2 drinks vouchers). I've been to one wedding with a free bar, and I recall queuing up for a drink and being quite astounded when the guy in front of me ordered 30 shots of tequila, which he then walked off with on a tray. I didn't recognise him and have no idea if he was a close friend/family member of the couple, however I certainly didn't see the couple participating with the shots.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

At my first wedding we offered a free drink instead of a welcome drink. We ummed and ahhed too but eventually agreed to give them free reign and not a single person took the mick :-)

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

We've had 'drink me' labels made (Alice theme to the whole day); our venue said not to worry too much about the drinks on offer - some will order more expensive, some cheaper and it usually just balances out Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics