Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester

Drinks reception/photos

Anna, 17 of February of 2022 at 23:37 Posted on Planning 1 4
Hi, the photography style we will be after for our wedding is documentary style, however, we do want a few family and couples shots after the ceremony whilst everyone is at the drinks reception.

Our day is already pretty tight on time as it is, but I want to make sure I've left enough time for these important photos. From experience how much time should I set aside for this?
I will of course ask the photographer that we go for as well and talk this through but I just wanted a rough idea.
Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Latest activity by Anna, 19 of February of 2022 at 23:16
  • MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    We have only set aside 10-15 minutes for five-six group shots and another 10 for pictures of us two. I suggest you write a list of precisely what combination of pictures you want and have someone on hand to do the cat herding and make sure everyone who needs to be in a picture is there so it is as efficient as possible (our master of ceremonies is doing this). We have also put a note on the bottom of our orders of service saying "there will be a small number of formal photographs taken after the ceremony at [location] in the following order: [group shots from biggest to smallest, so people can go when no longer needed]. Please make yourself available for the relevent photos."
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Actual family group photos usually only take around 10-15mins but then if you have groomsmen and bridesmaids they can take just as long as there could be all kinds of combos that you want from them and unless you want everything to look boring you are going to want to use some different locations around your venue.

The same also with the two of you if you have a venue with lots of nice grounds then assumedly that is one of the reason's for booking that venue. So depending on the size of the venue you could spend 15-20 mins just walking a circuit from A to B taking shots at different points as you go.

The groups and couple / bridesmaids / groomsmen (everything ) shots can be done really fast but its going to be boring and all be done in one spot so a waste of booking that beautiful venue.

Then if its raining then everything is going to be done inside which always slows things down - its noisy and no one can hear themselves being called from another room and then there is usually a bottleneck in doorways moving people around.

Then there is another issue after the ceremony people are going to want to congratulate you but if you are tight for time then the groups will need to be done straight away. What happens then is that people take the opportunity to congrat you when they are called up for a photo and so it takes twice as long.

Most venues allow 1.5 hours between exiting the ceremony or arriving and calling people in for wedding breakfast. And that 1.5 hours will consist of chatting mingling congrats drinks then groups and groomsmen / bridesmaids and couple shots then back to mingling - or if you have a venue that looks fantastic inside then that can be a good time to get those shots as after the meal it may be too dark.

If you have the photographer all day in the summer after the meal that can be a good time for some more couple shots.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We have allowed 90 mins, although we don't have many group shots it can take time to assemble everyone and as Bill says, we have a stunning castle venue so will want more pics of us and it takes time to get to different parts and for the photographer to set up the shots. I would as you photographer what timings the feel work as you don't want to rush them, for me the photos are an essential part of capturing the day for future memories so wouldn't want to cut it short or not get the right shot
  • A
    Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the advise - I will definitely consult the photographer we go for, but it does sound like I need to allow for more time for the photos!

Thank you 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics