Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Driving license question

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 26 of July of 2013 at 13:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

I got my driving license (old paper one) while living at home with parents. Their address is the only address the DVLA have ever had for me.

Having lost the paper one many years ago, having moved house many times since leaving home (and never changing my address with the DVLA), and now on my online application for a replacement, my question is:

When it asks me to list my addresses for the last three years (current address only 10 months), do I put:

1. My parent's address, which is where I will be linked to.

2. My genuine previous address, which will be unregistered on their database and might incur some kind of fine for failing to inform them of the numerous address changes?

I have never had a driving offence, been stopped or been required to present my license anywhere. The DVLA have never had any cause to contact me. However, I HAVE owned, taxed and insured vehicles registered at my various addresses in the last 19 years. My parents still reside at their address so might legitimately still claim it as my permanent residence (have never bought a permanent house myself)?

Thoughts? Any experience?

20 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 27 of July of 2013 at 11:21
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I'd go parent's address for your licence (note sp you naughty Dr)and keep it up to date from now on.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Just put your parents address and keep it at the correct address from now on! You can get a hefty fine for not having accurate details on your license, convictions or not.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Gah. I always struggle with this. Also, practice/practise, offence/offense etc.

Given that you were the person who gave me the means to distinguish stationery/stationary ("E is for envelope"), fancy making me a little memory prompt for this?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm (unless American, in which case you were right) the thing is a C and the action an S. Now thinking of mnemonic..

How about C is for Cat (noun) and S is for spaying (verb). It's not very good, is it?

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know this. I MUST sort mine as its all out of date and wrong. Old pic, wrong address and in maiden name.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent, Cats are Spayed. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be something I remember. That is now banked.

My most rubbish memory prompt is used to differentiate the capital cities of Rwanda (Kigali) and Uganda (Kampala). Rwanda is alphabetically first but its capital is alphabetically last. It's not elegant, but once you formulate it, it sticks!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Well, after the system failed to identify me and I made a panic call to the DVLA, I'm halfway to sorted.

I am still at my parents' address. They bought the story of it being my only permanent residence so done. Will change to my new one with this application.

Unfortunately, the name on my record is incorrect (hence the system not tracking me). I use two different spellings of my middle name, the more common for job/bank etc and the official for goverment documentation such as passport/marriage cert etc. My DL is registered to the common spelling, so will not cross-match my passport (obviously not an issue 19 years ago when first applying).

So no easy online application for me. Anyone want owt at the post office?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you see if they've got a sale on tenners for me please?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My favourite is a mnemonic for remembering how to spell diarrhoea...

D oesn't

I t

A lways

R un

R eally

H orribly

O ver

E ach

A nkle?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I have got to change my name, so annoying as I only changed my address 3 years ago. It's not worth the £1000 fine plus the fact that your insurance is void if you are driving with an invalid licence ☹️

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for parents address

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm pretty sure your driving licence can't be invalid just because it's in your maiden name? Who's to say you changed your name? It does have to match your log book, insurance and tax though. All of mine are still in maiden name. I can't be arsed to change them.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I didn't say your licence, I said your insurance (which I now know to be untrue). It should be renewed every 10 years though.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Just found this on the Post Office website. You are OK with a paper licenece if your details haven't changed and if you have an expired card licence then this can effect your insurance.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ahh sorry - I thought you said your insurance would be void because you had an invalid licence - meaning if you hadn't changed your name on your licence it would be invalid and therefore so would your insurance.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I have moved a couple of times and not bothered but Mr Ska is very organised and naggs me to do stuff right.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this!! I always get this word mixed up and often have to right it for work - this is a very useful way of remembering it!

Re the driving licence - I know it's slightly different as it was mainly for uni but I kept my mum's address while I was living away for uni then about a year afterwards, and just used my mum's address when finally updating it and nothing happened.

Edit - Sorry - just read you've already sorted this - missed that bit!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

That would of cost a fortune, , ,?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

This reminds me that I need to update mine- thanks footers.

At once stage I used to move from one grotty house share to another every six months. I never changed my licence though and even when stopped by the police they diddnt seem to mind.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics