Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ohwhatatuesday
Beginner May 2014

Driving myself to the wedding

Ohwhatatuesday, 14 of December of 2013 at 16:47 Posted on Planning 0 10

We're trying to sort out the night before and travel and we are arranging to stay about 15minutes away. Two of my bridesmaids don't drive and as it'll be handy to have my car at the venue anyway (as we are staying onsite on the night of the wedding) I thought it might be handy to drive us there myself.

I won't have my dress on yet as we can get into the bridal suite 2hrs before the wedding so I was going to put the dress on at the venue but have hair and make up done already.

Everyone I've mentioned this too says it's odd/weird/stupid but it just seems to make practical sense. Is it weird? Are there any reasons that I might not have thought of that makes this a bad idea?

10 replies

Latest activity by SunnyGreenStationery98998, 1 of September of 2018 at 07:59
  • F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Seems fine to me. You're not driving yourself to the ceremony really because you'll be continuing to get ready there so how is it any different than if you were staying there the night before and driving up then. If it's what you want and/or need to do then go for it.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Just to add you'd have to save the champagne till you got there though. ?

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry mate i will be doing this too!

getting ready at the venue (albeit a bit earlier 4-5 hours before ceremony) and will be driving myself there i think. Xxx

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! I'll be doing similar (except I can't drive) in that I'll get ready at the venue.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Makes sense to me.

I think I'm going to get my dad to drive me in his car.

Except for posing for pics, no one will see you arrive anyway so it doesn't matter what you turn up in or who drives you.

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I am doing this too. I'm leaving my mums at 10am after our hair is done and driving myself and 2 bridesmaids to the hotel, we can have the room anytime. My BMs can drive but being a control freak I want to drive and be in control.

A few people have said this is strange but I don't see why, it's not like I'm in my dress driving there ha.

Plus also the best man is driving the groom so this way we have a car for the next day too.

Just remember about drinking, I'm sticking to Buck's Fizz in the morning , well a glass, then I'll start on the champers once at the venue.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies. Nice to hear others are doing it too. Whenever I've mentioned it people have reacted like it's a really strange thing to do so I wondered if I was missing something. I'm a lightweight anyway so it'll probably do me good not to drink until I get to the venue otherwise I'll be staggering down the aisle!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Don't listen to anyone who says it's weird, they're ridiculous! There's no reason you shouldn't drive yourself. Now, if you were in a massive ball gown it might be different, for safety's sake, but not if you won't yet be in your dress,

I hate when people think you need to do every tiny last wedding-y thing, as if your wedding would be any better with a chauffeured wedding car to drive you there. Bah, dot your way, it makes perfect sense.

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Not sure why people think it's so weird as you are not getting ready until after you check in??? people can be so odd and opinionated about weddings ... I'll be driving myself the morning of the wedding too!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I thought! But suddenly thought there might be something practical I'm missing that would make it a bad idea! (Though I LOVE the idea of driving in a massive ball gown style in my little citroen!)

• S
    Beginner October 2019
    SunnyGreenStationery98998 ·
    • Hide content

I am also driving myself to the actual wedding.

I am planning of having my car waxed, polished , and valeted few hours before by my favourite car cleaners who will come to my house. Then afterwards i have managed to find some stick on roses to decorate my car.

Why do what is the norm its your day do it your way. Thats exactly what i intend on doing. My day my way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics