Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2014

Dry Hire Catering

H_ele_n, 18 of January of 2014 at 20:11 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi All,

Can someone explain to me what I should expect from my caterers for a dry hire venue? Do they usually provide table and chairs, as well as cutlery and chine (or neither?!) Our venue doesn't have a kitchen, so I'm wanting a company who can bring food in (I was thinking of a food van like you see at festivals, to park on the street (I'm thinking pie and mash or fish and chips, that kind of thing). I'll want the food to be served though, would the caterers quote for serving staff, or would I book that separately? Would caterers usually run the bar for us, providing alcohol and/or bar staff? Sorry, I'm totally clueless, have been googling for hours and can't get to the bottom of how this works best! Would the caterers help to turn around the drinks reception room (for which we'd want canapés) for our evening disco? That seems a lot, but people have suggested to me it's how it often works!

Any advice appreciated!!

5 replies

Latest activity by H_ele_n, 19 of January of 2014 at 12:48
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It all depends on the caterer in question. You're better off finding caterers in your area and directing your questions at them.

Some will offer inclusive packages others will provide an itemised quote based on everything you require.

Your average caterer is unlikely to provide tables and chairs some will offer the opportunity of hiring crockery, linen and glasses from them.

I have a feeling that the type of caterers you are interested in i.e van types wont be geared to also providing all the extras you require.

When you say you want a caterer to turn up and park in the street are we talking the car park to your venue or on a public road? The latter may require a street trading licence.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh and hello welcome to hitched! ?

• H
    Beginner October 2014
    H_ele_n ·
    • Hide content

Thank you - that's helpful. So I think I should probably find the caterer I first, and then fill in the gaps of the things that particular caterer doesn't provide using other companies. It feels a bit risky because I don't know how much it will all cost. I think you're probably right about the van caterers not being geared up for the extra stuff.

Yes, I mean on a public road - the venue owner mentioned that other people have done that but thanks for mentioning the licence - I'll check that because i don't want to be stung with extras!

v. grateful for your help!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It can all be a bit over whelming when you first start planning.

Don't be scared of shopping around and getting lots of quotes from different service providers by doing so you are not committing yourself to use anyones services, it's the only way to build a clear picture of what you can and cant afford.

Good luck.

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    sjcbride ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

i think the others are right when they say you'll need to speak with the caterers as I'm sure all are different however we're having a marquee wedding so we're having caterers in and they are sorting the following for us (though of course we are paying for it all)

staff to serve our reception drinks (provided by us)

cutlery, crockery, glasses, table cloths etc for the wedding breakfast

our choice of food - we were quite definite over what we wanted with this so if you know what you want make sure you tell them. For example a more traditional caterers who can provide all the bits and pieces may well be able to with with a takeaway van to put together your package. Ours have with a separate hog roast supplier.

Service of all food

we're also getting staff to serve at our bar (drink provided by us, physical bar by the marquee folks) and put out the evening nibbles and cakes (again provided by us) - these may be coming via the lady who is helping with the venue but the caterers had said they could supply these.

not being supplied by caterers.

tables and chairs - these are coming from our marquee supplier. There are plenty of companies who can do this for you and your caterers will probably have experience of companies if you need it.

ive probably missed some bits but hope that helps. From all the research of traditional type of caterers I did for ours a fair few of them basically offer almost a wedding planning service and can advise you on all sorts. If you're willing to pay for it they seem to be able to sort most things. Ours also brings in the necessary kitchen equipment and they have a catering tent they run it all from. Out of interest where abouts are you looking incase my caterers might be able to help?

• H
    Beginner October 2014
    H_ele_n ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - this is really useful to know. I love the combination of things that are catered and other elements provided by you, such as nibbles and cakes, as well as the drinks. I guess they charge you corkage. We're in South London, so do let me know if that's anywhere near you! I've asked our venue for a recommended list of suppliers too - hopefully that will be helpful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics