Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

X
Beginner August 2013

Dry hire venue (one that allows outside catering) in london

xx_sophie_xx, 22 August, 2012 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for a dry hire venue (one that allows outside catering) in London for my wedding in July 2013. I need a venue that does ceremonies as well as the reception. It will be a big wedding with around 80-100 guests for the ceremony and 200-250 guest in the evening. Also would love the venue to close quiet late around 1-2am. But I will consider 12.30am too. I’ve been looking for ages with no luck and will welcome anybody's help. My budget is around £3500 for the venue hire. Thank you in advance for your help x

14 replies

Latest activity by Jessie_bride, 23 August, 2012 at 18:55
  • J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Have a look at Harrow Arts Centre in Harrow, it's in your budget and holds the right number.

Also Finsbury Town Hall in Islington is dry hire, and MC Motors (I think) in Hackney.

HTH X

• before40
    Beginner October 2012
    before40 ·
    • Hide content

Might sound a bit backwards but try and identify caterers in the area of London you want and ask them where they've done work before or see if they list on their website, not necessarily with a view to using them though! Also think there is an option for outside catering on the hitched venue search.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello fellow Londoner!

I can't think of any dry hire venues offhand but sure some will spring to mind.

Either way I wanted to mention rhubarb and blue strawberry caterers who I believe are worthe a mention and may be able to help with your search.

My partner work for grays inn (chancery Lane) who I believe do a package including a reasonable corkage fee if that helps.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of my best friends used to work in events there! How strange.

Before 40 has a very clever idea there...work backwards as you might find something that way.

Does it have to be London or can you go a bit further out?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

It's not quite 'in' London but I had my reception here: https://www.landmarkartscentre.org/venue-hire/weddings/ one of the few places big enough for our/your numbers (we had 200, but that was for a sit-down meal, you can have more).

You can't have the ceremony there BUT the hire fee is less than you've budgeted... you could get married somewhere else and sail down the river to get to the Arts Centre! That was my first choice but budget didn't allow it so we had Routemaster buses instead. There's a church across the road if you are interested in a church wedding.

• X
    Beginner August 2013
    xx_sophie_xx ·
    • Hide content

Hey jessie_bride thanks for the suggestions. i checked out the finsbury town halland the MC motors but didn't really like it. i really liked the harrow art centre but when i spoke to the they said it could hold only 180 for a seat down meal or 200 but i would have to lose the dance floor and buffet area which i can't do without!

but thanks for the help! x

• X
    Beginner August 2013
    xx_sophie_xx ·
    • Hide content

Hey before40,

that is an amazing idea about using caterers list and i am getting straight to it today! will let you know how it goes! also i have tried the catering option on the hitched venue search but all have been out my price range or do not hold the number i require :-(

x

• X
    Beginner August 2013
    xx_sophie_xx ·
    • Hide content

Hello funkyjameseo,

if any dry hire venues do come to mind please let me know! also the caterers you mentioned do there do african food?

thanks

• X
    Beginner August 2013
    xx_sophie_xx ·
    • Hide content

Hey i live in greater london (bromley) so i'm willing to go a bit out of london but not to far! lolx

• X
    Beginner August 2013
    xx_sophie_xx ·
    • Hide content

Hey saisi,

i will have a look at the art centre and see if we can find some close by to get married in. thanks for the help x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh really small world! how long ago was this? Chances are I probably know your friend (i've had most of the events team at my house at some stage ha)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im not sure about the ones i already mentioned but I know this one does african food https://www.beautifulfoods.co.uk/

Im not sure the type of venue you are after but this si a village hall type place in brixton http://www.karibueducationcentre.org.uk/hiring_centre.html

• before40
    Beginner October 2012
    before40 ·
    • Hide content

Ah, as you're in Bromley and I'm not a million miles away in Sutton, have a look at Scotts of Carshalton as they have a list as do Anise Catering as they were some of the ones I looked at. Am sure one of them mentioned a large venue in Mitcham but not sure if that was a dry one or not - as you want venue & ceremony combined start with Bromley Registrars, they should have a list of licensed venues. And Croydon and Kent I guess too. Another thought (and really sorry if this a stereotype, not meant to be) I found some of the bigger venues were focussed on Asian weddings so might be worth looking from that angle too.

• before40
    Beginner October 2012
    before40 ·
    • Hide content

Ah, as you're in Bromley and I'm not a million miles away in Sutton, have a look at Scotts of Carshalton as they have a list as do Anise Catering as they were some of the ones I looked at. Am sure one of them mentioned a large venue in Mitcham but not sure if that was a dry one or not - as you want venue & ceremony combined start with Bromley Registrars, they should have a list of licensed venues. And Croydon and Kent I guess too. Another thought (and really sorry if this a stereotype, not meant to be) I found some of the bigger venues were focussed on Asian weddings so might be worth looking from that angle too.

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

Another idea could be to have a civil ceremony in a registry office (I think Islington holds up to 300) then hire a football/rugby club and erect a marquee? It's more work but it could give you the numbers you want. Another option (don't laugh) but a local high school might hire out their hall? I worked at a school that did this and often held wedding receptions for 500 people!

Good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics