Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2022 Lancashire

Dummy Wedding Cake

Lydia, 22 of November of 2021 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 8
Hey guys,

This might be a strange question, but is it possible to have a wedding cake that has fake tiers with only the bottom being real cake? I’m Sri Lankan and we have a wedding custom of handing out the wedding cake in personalised boxes to each guest to take home (which would also work really well as a favour). I absolutely love this cake (fruit cake with marzipan layer) and I really want to do this but I also want a tiered wedding cake to cut for the photos. My fiancée would also rather have a chocolate cake so I want to make it work for him. But I don’t want to have a full wedding cake as it seems like it would be a waste. Is there any way that I could get around this?

Dummy Wedding Cake 1

8 replies

Latest activity by DevinAgema, 30 of November of 2021 at 17:35
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

We are having a fake cake, our maker is putting a slit in the back so we can put the knife in to do the cutting of the cake pics, and then it will be taken away and a simple sheet cake will be cut up. It is far cheaper this way but it still costs a bit. Your best bet is to speak to cake makers in your area and talk through what you want and they will tell you if they can do it or come up with something

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Why not have a chocolate cake on the bottom layer and a smaller traditional wedding cake on the top. That way you get the tiers you want and also no need for masses of wedding cake.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are only doing it for the photos then my thoughts are that when you look back at them wont you always think - "that's a fake cake" and as you say this is still going to cost a bit then why don't you just go with the simple sheet cake.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Depends how good it is, our cake maker is that good you can't tell the differences so each to their own I guess, we are happy with our choice and what we saved we can now have a cake of cheese in the evening which is my preferred option as don't really like cake anyway
  • L
    Lydia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good idea! I’d not thought of just a slit! I found a local cake maker who said she’d do the fake cake and a tier of chocolate cake for £175 which I thought was a great price!
  • L
    Lydia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s an idea, it’s just that in Sri Lanka the cakes are already in custom made boxes for guests to take home. I’m still trying to figure my way around this 😅
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good price, glad you found something x
  • L
    Lydia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I’m so glad I’m not the only one doing a dummy cake Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics