Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

DVLA Have Lost My Certificate!

Red Baroness, 28 August, 2012 at 14:01 Posted on Planning 0 14

Well, they say that it's been posted but couldn't tell me when. Apparently I have to phone back tomorrow when they can take it up with Royal Mail. I knew this would happen! I even sent it recorded delivery to ensure it would arrive.

Anyone else had theirs go missing?

14 replies

Latest activity by Red Baroness, 29 August, 2012 at 15:08
  • karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Not married yet but what certificate do you mean? Your wedding one? If so you can get a copy at the Register Office. In the future see if the places you need to send it will accept a certified copy, you can get that done at a solicitors or Bank and then you don't need to send it off.

K

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

No, but that's just ridiculous. I would be demanding they pay for a replacement. (I know you can get another one, about £20 or so I think?)

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Ridiculous isn't it A? With their reputation for losing original documentation, I just knew this would happen!

Nope, they don't accept copies, or else I would have certified it myself.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

That's a right arse Bazza. You couldn't have done anything differently.

I haven't even sent mine off yet. Only been married 5 months.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Dvla don't accept copies. Did you send a recorded delivery envelope to send it back to you in? I bet they'll just blame it on royal mail. I think you can claim for it though.

My bank don't do certified copies.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

K, I only updated mine as it expired this month, Haven't changed anything else yet.

Nope, which I'm regretting. Although there's no guarantee that they'd use it anyway. The stupid thing is, the first time I sent it all (recorded delivery), I forgot to tick one of the boxes on the form, so they sent the whole lot back, including the certificate. I then had to send it all again! Seems they run into difficulties when sending documents back separately.

They are blaming it on RM. Not sure which out of the two is the lesser evil!

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Very annoying for you. I think wait and see what they say tomorrow, if they aren't helpful speak to a manager and tell them that you will want to be compensated for this. That might get them to pull their fingers out!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, shall see what they say. Doubt the story will have changed much though!

Shall let you all know. Ladies, I would definitely recommend sending them a pre stamped recorded delivery envelope!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh no that's awful

Mine came back the day after my new licence - I had an extra marriage certificate printed (paid for on the day) and I am using that one rather than the handwritten one. Can you claim back the costs of a replacement (I think they are more money if you order after the wedding)?

Hope your phone call gives you some joy tomorrow

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Nightmare!

I've done what Thusday Bride has order two copies for the day, I have a feeling this happens a lot and at least it only cost me an extra £4!

Hope it gets sorted or even better found! Good luck

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

What a nightmare. Definitely provide them with a self-addressed envelope next time and get the stamps for recorded delivery and put them on the envelope. It costs maybe a few quid more but they will use it.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

When I came to do this I was really annoyed and spoke to them about it. The only way that it is sure to get back to you is to buy a pre-paid special delivery envelope from the Post Office which the DVLA can use to send it back to you. Recorded Delivery is pointless, it can and does get lost as it just goes in with the normal post - you just get a signature on delivery but it is not tracked.

I know that doesn't help you now but wanted to let people know that it is best to spend the £6 on getting the special delivery pre-paid envelope rather than chance it as it's a lot of hassle.

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can order two copies for the day? How do you sort this out? Sounds like a good idea.

Any update Red Barroness??

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can order two copies for the day? How do you sort this out? Sounds like a good idea.

Any update Red Barroness??

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Yes, you can order extra copies beforehand. Usually when you give your notices and pay the balance of the fee. I pre ordered 3 copies for on the day, so we received 3 hand written copies. I wouldn't be as fussed if it had been a normal printed one. At least I still have 2 handwritten copies, but I'm still not pleased that they've lost the third!

Just spoke to them. They couldn't confirm that it has definitely been send out, but stressed it's normal procedure for it to be posted out 24 hours later. I had asked them to confirm the date that it was posted you see! I now need to wait for a letter from them, which I need to sign confirming non receipt of the marriage certificate. Then they take the matter up with RM. If RM can't locate it, it's the DVLA's responsibility to 'sort the matter out', or so I was told. We'll see!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics