Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner December 2009

Early menopause????

amee, 10 July, 2009 at 15:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

Has anyone any advice they can give about the implications of the above?

Heard from the doc today that my blood tests results have shown that I'm in early menopause. Have to go in on Monday to discuss things with her. I'm 27 so obviously a tad surprised this is happening to me already and pretty upset as my H2B and I were hoping to start a family after our wedding next Sept.

Thanks

Amee

7 replies

Latest activity by amee, 13 July, 2009 at 17:18
  • tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh how very scary for you, I'm sure they can help with the family things nowadays! I'm afraid I don't have any experience with it, good luck at the discussion

?

• A
    Beginner December 2009
    amee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks tahdah.

I so hope so, its going to be a long weekend!

• teenybash
    Beginner February 2008
    teenybash ·
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry to hear this.

you may have done this already (sorry if you have) but have you asked on Baby Talk? there may be someone there who might be able to help.

• rachel anne
    Beginner
    rachel anne ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amee, sorry to hear that you are going through this. I may be able to help a little but I'm by no means an expert.

The bloods that your doctor has taken will have been tested for a hormone called FSH. If this level has come back above 10-12, then that is an indictation that your ovaries are starting to fail but you currently are not in the menopause.

Anything higher than 30 is classed as being in early menopause, so it all depends on the number that the FSH test has revealed. Please double check that your doctor has done this test on day 2 of your cycle as any other day than day 2 will show a higher level.

The reason I know all this is that I am 34 years old and 2 years ago I was told that I had high FSH after suffering several miscarriages and infertility. My highest FSH level came in at 13.6. Due to the infertility, I ended up having IVF and the consequence of having high FSH is that you generally don't respond very well to the stimulation drugs and may not produce as many eggs as someone without high FSH. This was true for me as I only produced two eggs in the end.

Sadly, my IVF failed but I fell pregnant naturally the following month and now have a healthy 1 year old so don't give up hope!

If you want any more info, please feel free to PM me.
    Take care
    Rachel.

• Mrs Cee
    Beginner
    Mrs Cee ·
    • Hide content

?I am sorry to hear you are going through this I've been diagnosed with this or premature ovarian failure as my FSH was 28 which is considered to high to conceive naturally, however sometimes like Rachel says miracles do happen. I was gutted when I was told I never even heard of FSH and then when I found out that there wasn't alot they could do to help and had I consider adopting or donor eggs!! I had 2 ivf's with my own eggs but i didn't respond well and after much though I went for donor eggs sadly 1st cycle didn't work but I still have 4 healthy frozen embryos waiting for my next cycle hopefully in September. There is hope please don't get too upset and if you need any advice give me a bell.?

I was 29 when I found out and I'm 33 now.

Also you might want to check out the discussion boards at www.fertilityfriends.co.uk, they have a board with other people suffering with the same thing and I've found the girls there to be a great support too.

here is a link directly to the board /forums/pof-early-menopause.112/

• A
    Beginner December 2009
    amee ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the replies ladies.

I didn't think to ask what the reading actually was and the receptionist at the docs wouldn't tell me, just told me to wait until my appt on Monday. Patience has never been a strong point!! ?

I shall try not and give up hope just yet.

Will update after appt on Mon.

x

• P
    Beginner July 2011
    polarbear ·
    • Hide content

Hi

not sure if it will help but there's a really good book called 'what your doctor may not tell you about the pre-menopause' by dr john lee, which is really good and explains all you need to know. you can get it off amazon but if you can't find it let me know, i've got the isbn numer ?

hth,

xxx

• A
    Beginner December 2009
    amee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, will go and have a search for the book now.

Was at the docs today and my fsh level was 30 in April, came in at 51 this week so definately going in the wrong direction.

I'm going to have another blood test in Sept to see how things are going but in the mean time I'm going to try and not be stressed, eat healthy and see if my body will re-adjust.

For those of you who don't know I went on a food replacement diet and lost 6 stone between Novemeber and February so the doctor is wondering if my body is in some kind of shock.

As per my post on WP the news has made my H2B and I rethink our plans and we have brought our wedding forward so if there is a chance we can have children, we could start sooner rather than later..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics