Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2013

Earring allergies!

jaxxs, 10 of May of 2012 at 21:05 Posted on Planning 0 8

I really want to wear earrings for my wedding however my ears aren't so keen on this idea!

Recently I bought some from sainsburys which were hypoallergenic and really cheap. They are the first I have found that haven't caused me to have ears which are swollen, red and sore. So any ideas where else in can look for hypoallergenic earrings as I need a small diamond drop to match the necklace I am wearing. Sainsburys isn't exactly full of choice when it comes to jewellery! I was recommended using 18ct white gold but these are rare and mega expensive which I don't mind but I will mind of I spend £300 on earrings that I wear for 20 minutes and have to take out as they cause a reaction.

Im hoping some hitched approved suppliers on here may have some solutions for me! I should add I had my ears pierced 14 years ago, I gave up wearing them as it was agony. Only recently have I put them back in, the sainsburys are the only ones I have found I can wear.

8 replies

Latest activity by honeysparkle, 11 of May of 2012 at 17:32
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Are you allergic to silver? You can get some lovely silver earrings from Accessorize. I'm allergic to cheap earrings but I can wear silver & they're not too expensive!!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried 9ct white gold earrings because they shouldn't be too expensive.

You could also look for earrings made of niobium as it is generally good for sensitive skin.

Do you have a pic of your necklace in case someone has seen something suitable or could make one for you?

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

I'm allergic to silver and cheap earrings, can you wear yellow or white gold?

I've got white gold for my wedding earrings but there are a couple of options, for example, have you tried surgial steal earrings (try a piercing shop) or even putting clear nail varnish on the earring post is supposed to help too.

My earrings are 9carat white gold which cost me about £100 so not cheap but will keep forever and I will wear them for other occasions so well worth it!

• J
    Beginner July 2013
    jaxxs ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried silver and they make my ears throb also.

I havent tried 9ct white gold as I was told they were mixed with nickel which could cause a reaction where as 18ct is purer and not mixed with other metals. I have seen some nice 9ct ones which are £55 - they are only studs but I can wear them everyday and if they are ok then I can go on a hunt for some nice drop earrings.

I havent heard of surgical steel, didnt even think about asking a piercing shop - definately worth asking them as they should know!

Thanks guys - I think a shopping trip is in order this weekend. I do not have a picture of my necklace, its a diamond 18ct white gold which was bought with inheritance money from my nan so is very sentimental. It is quite unusual so I dont think I will find a match and I cant afford to spend a fortune on having matching earrings made. I think diamond shape studs or small drops will match it nicely. I love my pearl earrings but my necklace and dress do not have pearls on them. Unfortunately when I bought the necklace and bracelet 6 years ago, I had given up on wearing earrings and didnt see the point in buying the matching ones!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I think M&S do Platinum plated jewellery, might be worth a try.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I have a friend who has to wear silver (can't be silver plate, has to be silver) she is allergic to gold - it makes buying her presents a nightmare!

I hope you find somewhere suitable

• J
    Beginner February 2014
    jakjawagon ·
    • Hide content

You could also look for earrings made of niobium as it is generally good for sensitive skin.

• honeysparkle
    Beginner June 2012
    honeysparkle ·
    • Hide content

I get this too but find if I paint them with clear nail varnish it doesn't happen. Might be worth a try before having to spend mega bucks ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics