Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

eBay wedding dress custom made??

Much_ado_about_weddings, 26 of August of 2016 at 19:28 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all,

Everyone will probably think I'm mad for considering this, but has anyone had any luck with getting a custom made wedding dress from eBay? If so, which seller did you use? I'm in two minds whether to just risk it, but am aware there is probably a customs fee too...

I haven't found anything that I really love in any bridal shop so far and have been to quote a few shops now. It's not the end of the world if I don't find 'the perfect dress' but I would love to wear something that I'm really happy with on my wedding day! I'm just under 6 foot and size 8 so want something slim-fitting as I look like a marshmallow in anything pouffy!! I have my eye on a dress like the one in the photo below but know from having read loads of articles that it's likely to turn up green and more like a sack than a dress :/ however the longer I search for a perfect dress, the more tempted I am to try one like this... Any experience anyone??

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191953423294

10 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsTz, 30 of August of 2016 at 10:45
  • T
    Beginner January 2018
    ThroughGreenEyes ·
    • Hide content

I played with the thought of buying a wedding dress off ebay when the time comes around for me to buy one but decided against it as alot of them are copies of designers and won't be the real thing.

There may be some sellers on there who have made original dresses but I would think it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Have you been on a website that shows you different dresses by different designers such as;

http://www.findyourdreamweddingdress.co.uk/designers/dress-designers/

http://www.guidesforbrides.co.uk/wedding-dresses/designers/wedding-dresses/

You can input the kind of style you are looking for.

Hope this is helpful Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

They are usually copies and you do hear horror stories but for that price if you could afford to you could order it in plenty of time so that if it turns up green you can still find something else! Especially if they have good feedback. Saying that, you may find if the sizing isn't right then even a good seamstress might not be able to alter it to a decent fit as they often don't have a lot of excess material to play around with when they are copies. (Basing this purely on an episode of Don't Tell The Bride I saw once!). You do hear of people who are really happy with their eBay dresses. My friend ordered one and she is very happy with it and it was a good fit (haven't seen it yet myself).

Only thing that would put me off personally would be from an ethical stand point of whether you'd be happy with a designer's work being copied, and also whether the people making the dresses are treated fairly and not just in a sweatshop somewhere earning a pittance (but then even expensive designers don't have that guarantee)

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

I dont think buy the wedding dress online will be a good idea

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would stay clear of anything like this, they are usually copies but often poorly made and for £20 I doubt very much it will be made well at all! If you would rather not spend a lot on wedding dress have you considered monsoon or debenhams? The quality is very good and the designs beautiful. If you still want a dress shop wedding dress have you looked at Justin Alexander? I found a design similar to the one you like on eBay and I must say Justin alexander dresses are gorgeous!

Here is one of his signature collection

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

That dress is a popular style of dress, you will definitely be able to find that in a shop. I wouldn't risk ordering a dress off eBay but, if it is only £20, you could always take a risk and see what it is like.

I ordered a veil from China via eBay and it was beautiful and only cost £17. I'm not going to be able to wear it though as it doesn't go with my dress, but I was really happy with it x

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm still undecided but might give it a risk for the price! I promise I'll feed back on this forum what it turns out like! Just wish I knew how much customs is likely to charge?!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is from Justin Alexander so I am biased when I agree that his designs are lovely!

I didn't get charged anything when I bought my veil x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I bought a second hand dress off eBay. It listed sizes and turned it to be a Chinese dress custom size from jj's house unworn. On the whole I found it well made but unfortunately the style did nothing for me. The usual knowing what you want until you try it on! At 20.00 I would tend to assume it's not great however someone else (can't remember who) found with a few alterations she was really happy with her Chinese dress so maybe worth a risk. I also agree monsoon, debenhams, etc do some lovely well made dresses.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

That picture is gorgeous but you get what you pay for and chances are it wouldn't look like the pic, but I'm sure you could find a nice designer dress in that style in the UK

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Check the feedback some of the sellers pay people to order then they leave positive feedback, if you go down the feedback list and all the names are repeated or are the same amount of letters/ digits long, plus they've mostly ordered underneath skirts then be wary.

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

There's a group on Facebook called 'China dresses and china wedding supplies - purely reviews'. I bought my bridesmaid dresses from ebay and I found the group so helpful to know which sellers were good and which should be avoided. There are loads of brides on there who have bought wedding dresses off ebay, but they are mostly copies of designer ones I think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics