Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Savvy July 2023 Essex

Eco-friendly and Sustainable Weddings!

Sian, 16 of July of 2022 at 11:03 Posted on Planning 2 5
Hey! So in day-to-day life I’m very much into sustainable living (recycling, avoid single use plastic, reducing my carbon footprint ect) and therefore also trying to follow these values when planning my wedding so would like to start a discussion and share ideas on how to keep your wedding as eco-friendly as possible but without breaking the bank or completely scrimping on the details.

I’ll start with a few conscious choices I’ve made:
1) My dress is a cancelled order I purchased from a boutique from the website StillWhite. I was looking for a pre-loved dress when I came across ‘the one’.. so even though its technically still new I don’t feel so bad as the dress was otherwise unwanted. Also got it £300 cheaper than its RRP so added bonus for the budget!
2) Booked a local venue. The majority of our family and friends all live in Essex so it’s less travelling for everyone. We’re even suggesting they all come to together in minibuses to avoid bringing lots of cars.
3) A fully vegetarian menu. Now this is more due to the groom and I being vegetarian, but no meat = less carbon. Plus I would feel too much guilt serving dead animals.
4) Flowers…. Artificial or real? Now this one I’ve not worked out yet. Obviously there’s the whole process involved in growing, cutting, transporting and storing real flowers… but artificial are plastic / silk and I wonder what happens to them afterwards. Do you keep them or does the designer take them back and reuse them over and over?

5 replies

Latest activity by Sian, 20 of July of 2022 at 17:38
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Flowers wise - you keep them as that is part of the benefit of having artificial over real ones.

What about your suppliers also, some photographers are willing to drive for over 5 hours (round trip ) to shoot your wedding. I mainly photograph Leicestershire weddings with a few just over the border. I have a blog on using local here

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I had a bouquet made by a florist who uses locally grown flowers (a lot come from her own garden). And our venue was decorated with locally grown garden flowers.

I bought a dress in natural fibre that could be redyed to wear as a formal dress later on. And all my accessories were items I could (and have) used again.

Ditch all the single-use stuff like wedding signs/favours. If you're having bridesmaids/groomsmen, either get them to wear clothes they already have. Or go for a mismatched look which means they get to wear something they like and are likely to wear again.

Make sure any decorations can either be repurposed, recycled or passed on. Try using flowers in water or live plants rather than flowers in oasis.

• Sophie
    Savvy November 2023 Derbyshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen wedding stationery (invites, signs, place cards etc) printed on seed paper so it can be planted afterwards in people’s gardens and I really like that idea.
  • Lauren
    Beginner June 2023 Warwickshire
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    Love what you’ve planned so far! I really struggled with my dress - I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something I would only wear once (although I’m technically wearing my twice, once for an intimate ceremony and then again at a garden party two days later). In the end I decided to order a high street dress. It wasn’t as sustainable as I’d like, but it was a lot less material than a lot of other wedding dresses and I feel confident I can repurpose it afterwards. To be honest I’d probably get away with wearing it on my honeymoon if I want to!

Other things I’ve planned are: getting married locally (just parents as guests), then having a separate celebration party at my future in-law’s garden, borrowing tables and chairs from friends / family / local village hall to save buying or renting them, not having wedding favours or centrepieces (no formal sit down meal), having less flowers (because we’re in a garden) and trying to use only in season flowers, making my own decorations from sustainable materials, not requesting a particular dress from my MOH so she can pick something she likes and wear it again. Probably more but they’re the main things! Sorry it was long 😅
  • S
    Savvy July 2023 Essex
    Sian ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I found a website where you can get personalised packets of wildflower seeds so they double up as both a name card and a favour. Some options even make a donation to a wildlife or conservation charity as a percentage of each packet sold which I think is such a nice idea. The website is called ‘wildflower favours’ 😇

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics