Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DreamsComeTrue2015
Beginner July 2017

Edinburgh Castle

DreamsComeTrue2015, 14 of August of 2015 at 10:09 Posted on Planning 0 8

We are taking our time organising the wedding stuff - I've been hovering around here long enough to know not to rush into anything haha! We've talked back and forth about doing it just the two of us or doing it small but something just didn't sit right with us so we are now doing the whole big wedding thing!

We've decided we want to have the venue picked and booked by the end of the year so I've stated looking around and getting quotes. Has anyone had their wedding or been to a wedding at Edinburgh Castle? I sent them an email on a whim but I'm starting to fall in love with the idea!

It's really expensive though (having the wedding there means that's our whole budget spent so we would probably need to push the wedding back a year) and there are a couple of rules I'm not delighted with. I'm also worried about people travelling and maybe putting them off. But then I look at the website or google and I'm totally loving it again!

Am I being crazy? Is this the start of Bridezilla haha!

8 replies

Latest activity by DreamsComeTrue2015, 17 of August of 2015 at 14:19
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

No you're not a bridezilla I felt the same about Lapland. It was what I wanted end of.

Edinburgh Castle sounds wonderful mad at least Edinburgh isn't in the back of beyond somewhere and would be easy for most people to get to. I don't know where your based but assume most people would be able to drive or get the train or even book a coach for everyone. They could make a weekend of it especially if you source various price ranges of places to stay. Edinburgh is a beautiful city.

what rules are there?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Oops typo. Not wonderfully mad. Wonderful AND lol

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

We looked at Edinburgh Castle but I wasn't keen on the rules and timings. It is beautiful though and would definitely have the WOW factor.

Have you looked at any other venues? There are some lovely ones around the Edinburgh area.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

We also considered Edinburgh castle, more for the pictures then I thought, hey its about whole day, not the pics. We chose Norton house instead which has beautiful grounds

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Norton House was nice but we couldn't see the reception rooms when we were there. Houstoun House is also nice. We went with Balbirnie House (hence our wedding being in January!)

• R
    Beginner June 2016
    ror100 ·
    • Hide content

If you do Edinburgh, and want recommended accommodation, I can highly recommend the Premier Inn @ Lauriston Place. Budget friendly, and very well placed for the castle.

Rog.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! The venue is lovely but I'm just so unsure. There's just a couple of daft things - we have too many people to allow for a band in the evening venue and I really want live music. They're also a bit more restricted on music during the ceremony.

We have just started looking. Ruled the Norton out - we went there to view it for my friend and the service was appalling. I'm sure it would be fine but I'm one of those people that when I've had a bad experience that kind of finishes it.

We are looking at Houston House as well. Balbarnie is gorgeous but we are Central Scotland and I've got older relatives scattered about and most of OH's family don't drive so I'm not convinced it's in the best location.

I'm getting really overwhelmed by the number of venue's we could pick though which is why I'm adamant we don't rush in to anything. It's such a big part of the day and I'm super fussy! Will keep the Castle on the "maybe" list and keep hunting!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

There are so many places to choose from... I would have a think about what is most important to you for your venue.

We went from one extreme to the other. We went over to Loch Lomond and had a look at some venues there. But we decided that if the venues didn't have the Loch view, would we like them... and the answer for us was no. So we ended up sacrificing the proper Scottish view for the style of venue itself. If we could have had Balbirnie House on a Loch, it would have been absolutely perfect (and three times the price i'm sure!).

The main thing for us was accommodation - we have probably 60-70 people travelling from England and even Spain and California.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I love Loch Lomond! I really want to do it at Cameron House but my OH has put the foot down - defo too much travelling involved!

I'm enjoying having a nosy round hotels so Im quite happy to drag the venue choosing out a bit anyway haha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics