Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner February 2013

Edinburgh ceilidh / modern band recs?

Topper, 16 April, 2012 at 19:44 Posted on Planning 0 5

We're getting married in Edinburgh next Feb and am thinking that the band is something to sort earlier rather than later (not looked at dresses yet!)

OH is Scottish and I think a ceilidh is a great way of getting people up dancing, but will need a good caller for our non Scottish family and friends. I would however like to have a band that also has a modern repertoire for some 'normal' wedding dancing for the second half of the evening.

I've googled various bands and companies that organise bands and have heard some great play lists etc. I think the choice is limited to a degree due to us wanting both types of music but there appear to be some great bands.

Can anyone recommend their band or bands that they have seen? Able to travel to Edinburgh and probably a smaller lineup due to venue and number of guests. At least this will give some direction to my search!

Thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Lynseys Designs, 16 April, 2012 at 21:04
  • T
    Beginner February 2013
    Topper ·
    • Hide content

Good point. I'm going on Saturday to hand over the credit card and have a quick nose around so will ask for their recs too

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

I highly recommend the Jiggers and Callanish. Both are great for ceilidh, though I'm not sure if the Jiggers also do covers, whereas I know Callanish does! However, I think the Jiggers are cheaper. Both can be found by Googling them! Good luck!

• T
    Beginner February 2013
    Topper ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Jiggers are definitely a band that I've come across over the weekend so need to check their style and I'll also check out Callanish

Thanks

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a band called Three Card Trick who are amazing. They are mostly a rocky covers band but they do a 45 minute ceilidh set too. They played at my friends wedding and do a lot of gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh if you wanted to go see them. I booked through Coast Entertainment and they have a sample video on their website. If they aren't your cup of tea then Coast do have quite a few other bands and run wedding showcases from time to time.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

The BEST ceilidh band I've ever seen/heard is Bahookie http://bahookie.org/. I was totally blown away and what an atmosphere. They aren't just any normal ceilidh band though and you'd need to go and hear them to understand what I mean but they mix up modern songs with ceilidh as well as your traditional stuff.

Unfortunately I only heard them last year but I'd have seriously compromised on other things on my wedding day to have them and I just don't do music normally so coming from that that's saying something.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics