Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner September 2015

Edinburgh people! Recommendations needed please :-)

tash&ste, 31 of December of 2014 at 17:24 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello all and happy new year!

I am in the process of booking our hotel and sit-down meal for our wedding. We are now having a small wedding, with 15 guests in total including me and h2b. We are getting married at Lothian Chambers which is all booked, but we still need to find a nice hotel to put our guests up in and a nice restaurant for after the ceremony.

I have been in touch with a lovely lady from the Angels Share Hotel, which looks beautiful. But the reviews for both restaurant and hotel are just satisfactory, nothing special. However, it is well within budget.

This is the website: http://angelssharehotel.com/ Your thoughts would be most welcome! :-)

Also, originally we wanted a private suite for our meal and drinks, but now I'm thinking it'll feel too isolated. The Angels Share have offered us a big table in the main restaurant with our own little cordoned off area of the bar. This is quite appealing to me, as I'm quite a sociable person and like to mingle. Not sure how my guests would feel though, with it being a wedding and they're all in their best wedding attire. I just don't know what to do! Perhaps a private function room might be more appropriate. I'm torn! The bonus of eating in the main restaurant is no room hire charge!! ?

I've been in touch with the Balmoral, who are a wee bit too pricey in terms of hotel rooms and private suite hire. A meal in the main restaurant would be feasible though. I've also emailed Hotel Du Vin, The Howard, Nira Caledonia, The Roxburgh and enquired about having food and drinks at Angels with Bagpipes. Still waiting to hear back though. Anyone familiar with any of these or know of anywhere else I could try?

We are relying on word of mouth and photos at the moment as we're not local anymore. The earliest we can visit venues is June, but we get married in September so ideally need something in place before then! Your help would be much appreciated!!! xxx

6 replies

Latest activity by tash&ste, 1 of January of 2015 at 17:17
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I went to the angel share for my hen night, stayed 1 night. Rooms are beautiful however I don't think it's special enough for a wedding, breakfast wasn't that good. As for the Balmoral, that is a stunning hotel. I went to a wedding there once, around 6 years ago. The staircase and service is 5*.

I have been to a lot of weddings since and the only one that sticks in my mind is the Balmoral. I know the Apex are also good for weddings!! Let us know what you choose!! X

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Magic182 ·
    • Hide content

What about the George hotel? It's stunning and gets good reviews (not sure about price but know they have deals on just now) ?

• M
    Beginner November 2016
    Mrs.Trouble ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congratulations! I'm quite local to Edinburgh and have also been searching! These aren't hotels, but they are good for a sociable function and meal (not ridiculously priced either). Have you thought about The Ghillie Dhu at the west end? Or the Caves? Or the Whisky Experience just off the Royal Mile? All fab venues for a meal and evening do. (My fave is the Ghillie Dhu, it's stunning inside)

Good luck finding the perfect place Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the info guys!

I've added George hotel and The Caves to our list!

Xx

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I love Edinburgh! My FMIL stayed at the George and said it was quite tatty, put us off for a venue!

As for restaurants, I love Castle Terrace, Michelin star restaurant near the castle. The Dome is also nice.

The most incredible hotel I've stayed at in Edinburgh is The Glasshouse. They have a function room and a rooftop marquee overlooking calton hill.

I'd recommend trip advisor, and I use an app called Zomato for restaurant recommendations.

Angels with bagpipes looks lovely but I've not been in. Check out The Scottish Wedding directory for more ideas too!.

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Calella, I'll check those out! Castle terrace sounds interesting. Xx

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Me again!! I've shortlisted another restaurant that has brilliant reviews - Grainstore on Victoria Street. This looks like the type of venue we like, that suits us both. It's rustic, nice but not overly posh with good food...it sounds perfect in theory. Juts wondered if anyone has dined here? I know it may not be weddingy to some people, but as long as it does excellent food and has great service, that's all we really want for our informal day.

Still going to check out the more upmarket places on my list though! It's not everyday you get married after all! ;-) xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics