Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kalie85
Beginner

Eek I'm going wedding dress shopping tomorrow!

Kalie85, 11 October, 2010 at 21:01 Posted on Planning 0 8

Just thought I'd say I'm going dress shopping tomorrow so if anyone has any advice or tips feel free to share! One thing I'm unsure of is what underwear to wear, strapless bra? Ordinary bra? Magic pants? I can't decide!!

8 replies

Latest activity by ruth23, 12 October, 2010 at 16:12
  • aecy
    Beginner October 2011
    aecy ·
    • Hide content

Big pants and a strapless bra, or leggings if your not feeling brave

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

No real advice as i've only been once myself - but have a lovely time Smiley smile

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I wore big pants and a strapless bra. Go with an open mind regarding styles etc. Most of all, enjoy it and have fun! I miss trying on dresses.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

1. Keep an open mind. A wedding dress is unlike anything you've ever worn before (unless this is your second time of course!) so the usual rules of shopping and what suits you don't apply. Listen to the staff when they suggest things and try on LOTS of different styles until you get a feel for what suits you.

2. Wear comfortable underwear. Various random women will be seeing you in your undies so make sure they're not too ratty and you're comfortable. A decent strapless bra is useful but straps can be hidden on a normal bra if need be. Don't be shy, they've sen it all before!

3. Do try on a veil with various dresses. It gives you an idea of the 'complete' look. The lengths of veils vary tremendously and make you look very different.

4. Take someone who's opinion you trust. You want them to be assessing how you look in the dress not projecting their thoughts of the dress they'd like on to you. Mum's can be good but often they just love their little girl in any dress and sometimes impartiality may suffer!

5. Do not underestimate how tiring getting your kit off repeatedly can be! Make sure you take some water as you'll get very thirsty.

6. Many places won't let you take photos so don't be disappointed if you're not allowed. Take a camera just in case.

7. Don't be pressured into putting down a deposit immediately, regardless of the deal they'll do you. They want your business so give it to them on your own terms. Make sure you allow some time between shops to reflect on the dresses and they can often blend into the others if you've tried on lots.

8. If you really like a dress, consider what the shop is like. If you don't like them, look around for other stockists. You want to ensure minimum stress through the order and fitting processes so make sure the shop suits you in terms of their personalities. You may even be able to negotiate a better deal elsewhere.

9. Have fun!

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

No extra advice except to say enjoy it!

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, only new to this myself so am not much help at all am afraid, just enjoy the experince!!!! i'd say wear something that your comfy in x

• Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou all for you advice, and yes it was very tiring! But the ladies were wonderful and they just seemed to know the style I was after and what would suit me! Now I have the dilemma of which dress to choose because they were nearly all wonderful!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Glad it was a positive experience for you and can't wait to see some flashes of what you have chosen!

• ruth23
    Beginner September 2011
    ruth23 ·
    • Hide content

I wish I'd asked what the experience would be like before I went wedding dress shopping for the first time... ended up very embarrassed in my see through undies, hahaha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics