Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

**El Dorado Seaside Suites - A few notes!!!**

Flowmojo, 14 June, 2012 at 10:53 Posted on Planning 0 22

I know a lot of hitchers have looked or are looking at this hotel for their honeymoon, and i would throughly recommend it!! I have just returned from two beautiful weeks so thought id jot down some info for those going or considering it (il upload pics later, as they are on my home pc!) as i know lots of reviews with sing its praises and say how wonderful it is and they dont pick up the below (least thats what i found!)

Initial reaction when you come up the drive is that is doesnt appear to be a grand reception compared to some hotels in mexico, thres no huge name sign, or a main reception desk so to speak, but dont let this put you off as it did me (first impressions and all!)

The hotel is set in a jungle and is a heavily bases around keeping the natural surroundings in their original state..so the paths and stuff are build around the trees and so on, and theres lots of palm tress as they have a coconut nursery so dont expect to be able to see the sea even if you are close!! We were in block 38, at the back of the hotel (which is very close to the front of the beach!!) on the first floor and altho had a stunning view, could not see the sea at all.

The beach isn’t what you’d normally expect from the carribean as its all preserved to protect the surrounding reefs. There are some artificial reefs made of huge sandbags they have placed to break up the waves to protect the beach and wildlife there, lots of fishes and stingrays about!!! This means the water is very shallow very far out , although rocky in places underfoot but when the waters warm and clean this doesn’t put you off!

You will always get a beach bed or sun beds by the beach of a morning, there were very few early towel placings going on...plus, there’s literally hundreds of beach beds along the front dotted around so theres no need for 6am get ups!!

Because of the jungle setting, there is a lot of wildlife, iguanas, racoon type things and bugs, lots of them. If you travel with Thomson/first choice, they will try to tell you about a yellow wrist band that fights off mozzys for 12 days and that its 100% amazing. It’s not, dont bother buying them, we did and after a days wear i was bitten loads. Take normal bug spray and make sure you use it!!

The restaurants are amazing for dinner!!! Theres 5, Arrecifes is the international restaurant on the beach and does the most amazing food, have the flank steak!!! The Mexican has the most choice of dishes, the Italian the best service and the Vida grill the best setting. There is a fusion cusine Klay talay above Arrecifes which is amazing, Chinese/thai style food !! Men HAVE to wear collared tops in all restaurants in the evening, so t shirts, polo shirts and actual shirts..you will be turned away if the there is no collar!! During breakfast, men have to have sleeved tops so no vests. For women, anything goes for both breakfast and dinner (covered up inside, however the Sandwicherie is set outside at lunchtime and bikini tops etc are fine)

My GHDs didnt work there, and stuff we needed to charge (ipad, phones etc) took longer them usual to fully charge, its al to do with the voltage i beleive. I think newer GHDs should be ok although may not be as strong as they would be here.

EVERYTHING is priced in American dollars and you have to work out how much this in Mexican Pesos..before we went we were lead to believe it was the other way round so took pesos. For ease id take dollars!!! You have to pay departure tax once you leave the country, this was £45 per person (1600 mexican pesos) and can only pay in cash but you can pay in dollars, Mexican pesos and pounds or even a mixture of 2 or 3 of them.

We booked trips there, theres no price diff in booking here before you go!

Theres 2 shops on site, one branded shop where they sell stuff with the El Dorado logo on and another souviner shop, these are expensive...visit playa del Carmen, 25mins down the road (hope on a bus at the end of the drive, they go straight there!!) and buy gifts here, its much cheaper and a wider selection!

If anyone has any other questions or need to know something else, let me know!! Overall it was the most amazing, clean, special holiday ive ever been on and would defo say to take a visit there!!

22 replies

Latest activity by Flowmojo, 20 June, 2012 at 16:25
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Oooh thanks so much Flow! Bookmarked for future reference, I really appreciate your tips.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Flow,

El Dorado = Pure Heaven!

We had the most amazing 2 weeks there, it was quiet, peaceful, good food, good service so we are chilled out to the max. I agree with your comments but all the problems were so minor that we didn’t really mind. However I did feel sorry for the people who had paid for a Garden/Sea view as there were so many trees in the way there was no view. We had a top floor room and the views were much better.

We are looking to go back in a few years time but would defiantly go for a swim up / pool room. We spent most of our time on the quiet end of the beech but would have liked more pool time. The little cabana huts were amazing, we found one that had no stopper bits on it so I was rocked in the breeze while Gary lay in the sun becoming browner by the second.

Our first reaction was the Au Naturel sign……………..we didn’t ask for nudist?? But there was a hotel in the hotel that was (phew).

To start with the lizards made me jump, till I saw the MASSIVE iguana that resembled a small dog. We didn’t by the wrist band thing as we brought Deet Cream with us – worked a treat! My GHDs didn’t work that well either as they have to go through a converter, I did straighten my hair for a night but it went to frizzy that Monica (from friends) hair had nothing on me. So I didn’t do that again.

We didn’t really buy too much but in the jewellery shop I bought 2 sets of earrings. Now they list the price in dollars and then convert it to Pesos to charge it to me then I get taken from my account in sterling. It came about 100 Dollars which was converted into 1,260 Pesos when went to £57 – somewhere along the way in the conversion line they lost a bit of money (yay for me).

We took a mix of dollars and pesos but when you get to a till they always ask you how you wish to pay so it doesn’t really matter. We tipped in Pesos and took a mix out on our trips. We used dollars to get out as it was £45, $62 or 780 Pesos.

Food wise we liked them all apart from the International Restaurant as they seemed to put onions in everything. In the Vida Garden Grill we did the ‘Surf and Turf’ offer – OMG the steak was the best I have ever had. Gary had sirloin and I had tenderloin. Go for tenderloin! It was massive, juicy and oh so rare, mmmmmmmm *drools a little*

I cant wait to go back there (I hope to in the next few years)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

defo this!!! What block were u in?! i was looking at girl who resembled you during our overlapping weeks incase it was you, clearly you did not see my Mrs Flow t shirt that week!!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I was looking out for you too ? if i ignored you im really sorry *thinking back to remember is she saw some one staring at her*

Im not sure what block but we were in room 4028. Where were you?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you would have been block 40 then..we were 38!!! did you have the swim up suite then?!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

No we were on the top floor - what floor were you on?

We have said though that the swin up rooms are the best ones so next time would have one of them. Did you do any trips? We did Coba, was really good. Had another booked - the dinner on a boat - but the weather was so ad it got cancelled ☹️

For people going, if you do the Chichen Itza trip take a brolly or a hat as there is minimal shade. We met a couple who said people gave them funny looks when they turned up with a brolly but when there was no shade they all wanted to come under.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this Flow, what trips did you go on? Did you get any special treatment as it was your honeymoon?

Oh also photos please ?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

Charlotte what date are you going again, and where do you fly from?

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fly from Gatwick on 20th - you? x

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we did chitzen itza..and yes, take a brolly tho they do offer you ones there!! It was 40degress and as its inland theres no wind to cool you down, people were passing out because of it. its immense tho, especially as 2012 is such an important date for the mayans, if defo reccomend this!!

We also did Xel-Ha which was awesome..its a massive (the largest i believe!) natural aquarium waterpark type thing, you can snorkel and what not there, theres a jungle, cenotes (underground water caves u can swim in) and a lazy river you float down on huge inflatable tyres, takes about 90mins but theres loads to do on the way!!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Oh I thought we might cross, but we fly home on the 18th! Think we go on the 7th from Manchester ?

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ekkk so exciting x

• G
    Beginner October 2013
    Godzil ·
    • Hide content

To start with the lizards made me jump, till I saw the MASSIVE iguana that resembled a small dog. We didn’t by the wrist band thing as we brought Deet Cream with us – worked a treat! My GHDs didn’t work that well either as they have to go through a converter, I did straighten my hair for a night but it went to frizzy that Monica (from friends) hair had nothing on me. So I didn’t do that again.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

This sounds amazing! I think there is this place and another for swimming with dolphins, I can't decide which one would be best. Did you do the dolphin experience flow?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no, cos we did it in cuba 2 yrs ago, they do do swimming iwth dolphins at Xel-Ha though!!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I def want to do that whatever it takes.

Another question (sorry), when you said about collared shirts for the guys in all restaurants does that mean they must wear proper long trousers too, no jeans/shorts? My OH only ever wears polo shirts, jeans and combat short type things on hol so thinking he will need to get a selection of new things.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Flow I have another question sorry! Ive never been on an AI holiday before so no idea how much to take. We plan on doing 2-3 trips, the ones you did and the dolphins. How much did you spend if you dont mind me asking? xx

OH AND MORE FLASHES PLEASE ?

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

You can wear knee length shorts as long as they look good rather than tatty. My OH wore his trainers each night too. We were in a restaurant and they told several people to do their buttons up on their shirts as some people wore a t-shirt with a collared shirt over the top and loose. Not sure about polo shirts as i didnt really see anyone in the evening wearing them.

Id just suggest getting a few collared shirts (any excuse for a shop)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Mr F wore 3/4 length, and sometimes chino shorts, and also denims and trainer so all were fine as long as he had a collar!!

Trips are faily expensive, chitzen itza i think was around £70 per person and the Xel-Ha water park similar..we took £500 between us and came back with nothing !

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

I am planning on going here for a week for our 1 year anniversary next May. Loved reading your thoughts on the place xx

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

Did you go Coco Bongo's Flow?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really want to know what to wear if we decide to go here!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No we didnt, Mr F had been before and said it was basically like being treated like cattle and hearded around...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics