Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB

elderflower cordial making disaster

MrsB, 17 June, 2009 at 16:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Just on the off chance that anyone knows...

picked my flowers, soaked em for 3 (nearly 4) days as per recipe.

stirred daily.

just went to rescue them for the boiling and adding sugar bit and there was some mould on the top.

I've strained them but I presume the whole batch is ruined? or will the boiling kill off the mould?

anyone any ideas? thankyou!

5 replies

Latest activity by Annabel, 18 June, 2009 at 11:08
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I have no idea. I just had to hum a few bars of the theme tune to The Good Life, though.

Maybe the mould will make it elderflower beer ??

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

Did you add any lemon juice? I usually add sugar before leaving them to soak for 24 hours and I've never had mould.

• Jellicle
    Beginner January 2008
    Jellicle ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, don't know. the recipe I have used in the past had boiling and sugar stage before the steeping I think, BUT the cordial went mouldy in the bottles so I obviously did something wrong. I will await someone with cordial knowledge!

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You need to make sure the bottles are completely airtight or you can freeze it in small batches and defrost it as you need it.

• MrsB
    MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Sophs, I nearly called Clementine 'Felicity' you know ?

I did add lemon juice - plenty of it, actually. Anyway, I've binned it, breaks my heart but it's not worth it. I decanted it and it went cloudy and looked odd

Don't think I'll get a chance to pick any more now. Sob. Oh well.

I think, although I followed the recipe, it was steeping too long. I went on another forum and they said there's no way 3 days is needed. it went manky after 2, so I'll do it for 2 days next time.

• A
    Beginner February 2008
    Annabel ·
    • Hide content

Mrs B - I have a much simpler recipe that just involves steeping the flowers in water, sugar, lemon juice and some citric acid for a few days, no boiling required. Have used this for the last couple of years with no problems.

You should be able to still get flowers for another week or so if you would like me to post the recipe for you.

Annabel.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics