Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BadgerBeetle
Beginner November 2012

Elderly relatives

BadgerBeetle, 7 August, 2012 at 22:44 Posted on Planning 0 10

As I mentioned before in another post, my Nanna is 86 and suffers with Dementia. She is, however, so excited about the wedding - she's even managing to remember the date which is amazing.

I want to have some little touches to make the day special for her. She may not remember all of them, but I see Dementia as living in the moment and I want her to enjoy every second of the day.

I'm making her an A4 sized order of service in a presentation folder, so she will be able to see all the pictures and read all the words, prayers, etc. I'm also giving her special confetti in the church, and she is on the top table for the meal. We are going to present her with flowers after the speeches too.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? I would like to think of more little touches for her.

C. xx

10 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 8 August, 2012 at 15:10
  • BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

I have seen the lockets etc, but I don't think Nanna would appreciate me having one with me unless I was constantly reminding her... I am asking her for my 'something old' though, so that will be very special Smiley smile

She absolutely adores my OH and as she's Italian she's incredibly emotional - I'm sure she's going to spend all day crying! Actually, I might look into some special tissues for her haha xx

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

I'm borrowing something from my sister, although we have a few options at the moment!

I've just seen personalised hankys on eBay that I love, so think I'll be getting her one of them too. xx

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    Rachel88 ·
    • Hide content

Aww the sounds just lovely and very touching!! Smiley smile

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile I don't have any contact with my mum, and my dad died a few years ago. So she is head of the family and guest of honour! I'm just so sad that she has Dementia, going to get lots of photos and other bits together afterwards in a scrap book for her to keep as a reminder, and i think we are going to take her to my dress fitting too Smiley smile xx

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I think what you have planned is absolutely lovely.

I don't have quite the same situation myself but do have several elderly relatives attending and I also think it's important to make them feel comfortable - there will be an area they can sit and chat with a cup of tea during the disco etc.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Not much to add as i was going to suggest hankies, but I think the things you have mentioned are really lovely and so very thoughtful xx

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

My grandad is giving me away, and we have had a corsage made for Nanna to wear. Just wish I could think of a few more little things to do! xx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

At our daughter and son-in-laws wedding, Grandma to the Groom has alzheimers and when they got married which was about 18 months ago, she had a fairly good memory but with a few lapses in between. She was going to be seated at the top table but she didn't really want people looking at her so she sat with close family at the front so she could see and hear everything. They bought her a silver photo frame to put a picture of their wedding day in which she loved and the whole of the presentation etc for both Grandmas was filmed on DVD. They are both so pleased they did get this because now she no longer recognises who they are but they do get comfort from knowing that she enjoyed their wedding day immensely and they have her on DVD when she was aware of happenings around her which they will be able to treasure forever.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics