Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Monkey
Beginner July 2013

Electric toothbrush

Mrs Monkey, 5 of March of 2015 at 12:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I'd been thinking for ages about getting ourselves electric toothbrushes (everything I read says they are better then a normal toothbrush). OH's sister gave us two Oral B Professional Care 600 toothbrushes for Christmas. She gets things free by doing surveys on the internet so they are probably a few years old. I hadn't used them until the other day because they have a shaver point charger and we don't have anywhere to plug it in. So I finally bought a plug that converts it so I can plug it in to a normal socket.

Now here is my problem - I left it charging for hours the other day and it never reached fully charged (the green light will stop flashing) I only managed to get 4 uses out of it before it ran out this morning. The leaflet says I should get 7 days worth of brushing from one charge. It's been plugged in now for 3 1/2 hours and it still isn't full.

How long do you have to charge yours for? Could it be because of the plug I've used - do shaver sockets have more electric coming out of them?

Also what electric toothbrush would you recommend? (in case I have to go buy one!)

11 replies

Latest activity by Nims, 10 of March of 2015 at 19:40
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

My Oral B 3000 Pro takes 24 hours to charge and that's through the standard charger plugged into a 3 pin socket. If more than one person uses it then the charge won't last as long. We have three using ours and it won't last a week.

But the 3000 is a superb toothbrush and I'm on my second one. First one lasted ten years so pretty good I reckon. Heads are expensive mind and the generic ones off ebay aren't that good. Got ours from Argos last year on a half price offer. Worth looking out for those offers, make them much better value.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I use the Oral B Professional Care 1000 - I bought one for both of us but R. doesn't like it, meaning that I always have one charging and one in use. I use it twice a day and the charge lasts at least a week. I'd definitely recommend.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I have an electric toothbrush but quite often I still prefer to use my manual one! Mine takes about 24 hrs to charge and so does my OH's.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I used to have an Oral B that lasted well over a week. I replaced it about 6 months ago with another OralB (can't remember which one) and that only lasted for 3 days. Could be that particular one has a rubbish battery life.

I know share OH's Sony Sonicare with him and it's great. Lasts a good 10-14 days with both of us using it.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I think we have the same brush as you, and have noticed the same thing. We just leave the charger out but hidden away so its easier to pop it on charge - usually it flashes in the morning, we put it on charge and then use it again at night. So it never gets a full charge (I've never seen it stop flashing) but we just got used to charging it fairly often.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

I was just assuming it would be like charging a mobile phone and a short charge would last ages! I don't really like leaving things charging when I'm out of the house or asleep so I guess I'll have to do short charges every day.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We have a Philips Diamond Sonicare. It's INCREDIBLE. We share it (because it was disgustingly, eye-wateringly expensive, even at half price!) and just swap the heads- they just pop on and off so no effort. We both use it twice a day and charge it about once a fortnight I think.

It's so bloody good that for the first few weeks I had to use it on the sensitive setting because my teeth couldn't handle such a thorough cleaning!! ? but now I've got used to it. I love that it buzzes every 30 seconds so you can then clean another 1/4 of your mouth. It's so good.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I have only recently lost my electric toothbrush virginity, and i loves it! it is only a cheapy oral b something or other, but it does the job!

I just keep the charger on, so it is always charging...

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I have an Oral B Professional Care 2000 one, which I use with the "sensitive" head. It takes a long time to fully charge - I think almost 24 hours - but once charged it will last for at least a week. H has an older Oral B one and leaves it on charge pretty much permanently, it will only do two cleans before needing recharging.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

You'd think with all the advances of technology they could make a toothbrush last longer without having to pay £250!

Maybe they should make a solar powered one - I could leave it in my window all day then

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I've never used a proper one, but H uses the "normal" toothbrush that has a battery! That seems to last quite a while. I wasn't a big fan but he is a smoker who is addicted to coffee so every little helps! I'll get him a proper electric one as soon as they stop being obscenely expensive!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Currently £99.99 at John Lewis, usually £249!

http://www.johnlewis.com/philips-sonicare-hx9332-04-diamondclean-electric-toothbrush/p231331170?sku=231331170&kpid=231331170&s_kenid=1bf19b21-e7e7-8e09-baf3-00002a88fe10&s_kwcid=402x34077&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=231331170

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics