Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner

Elopement Ideas

NoFuss, 23 of February of 2020 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 0 6

For various reasons we want to get married without really having a wedding.

We'd like to go away just the two of us and get married somewhere in the countryside, with a few photos and no other fuss.

Any ideas, either an inexpensive package or a place we could go for this?

We're from South London, and wouldn't mind driving up to a couple of hours to get somewhere.

We tried to register our marriage the other day, not realising that we needed to have the venue already picked out, oops!

We need something for a weekend with availability within the next 6 months.

We're not religious so it would need to be a registry office or humanist ceremony.

Thanks for any help with this!

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 25 of February of 2020 at 23:19
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If all you want is a legal marriage and some nice photos, I'd just book your local registry office for the legal stuff. They don't tend to be very photogenic places so I'd then find the photographer I liked and ask his or her recommendations for a good place for a photoshoot. Job done!

I've found that even 'simple' wedding packages end up being waaaaaay too complicated. And if you're looking for weekend availability within the next 6 months, most 'wedding venues' are going to be booked (in fact, I'd suggest booking your registrar asap as they book up fast too)

• N
    Beginner
    NoFuss ·
    • Hide content

We wanted to go to the countryside somewhere for a weekend.

If we do it locally, then we could end up with questions/pressure to invite people etc.

• R
    • Hide content

You could always book a registry office near where you have the photos if that makes it easier. Although you don't have to tell people what you're planning until you get back, so could always use your local one, say on a Thursday or Friday and then head off for a long weekend away somewhere photogenic.

I'd still look at finding the photographer first, then picking the photo location and finally booking the registry office. Many photographers only take a certain number of weddings per season, and it would be a shame to set your heart on one and then find he or she is not available for your chosen date/location.

• N
    Beginner
    NoFuss ·
    • Hide content

Not quite that simple as not telling anyone. I'm a full time carer for my mum with Alzheimer's so I have to beg family for "cover".

I haven't thought about a photographer to be honest, we both hate having our photo taken, but it would be a shame not to have any!

• N
    Beginner
    NoFuss ·
    • Hide content

I cannot seem to find any website with a list of registry offices (and prices, capacity etc.) I'm surprised that no one has curated a list.

The government site requires a postcode and will just give a few nearby.

• R
    • Hide content

How about Oxfordshire? Some beautiful countryside, pretty villages or you could stay in Oxford itself, which is a beautiful city with botanical gardens, the river, incredible history...

Or the Cotswolds if you want to go a little bit further.

• R
    • Hide content

Either of these any good?

https://www.minstermill.co.uk/weddings

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/uk/oxfordshire/belmond-le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons/weddings

Both are beautiful locations, though no idea of price and I know they will be very popular.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics