Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2014

Eloping abroad

Muppet, 7 of October of 2013 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 33

Hi everyone!

I'm new so please bear with me! My partner and I have decided to get married abroad next year and I was after some advice. It will just be the two of us, so looking to keep costs fairly low, but I have no idea where to start. I don't even know a location!

So is anyone else getting married abroad, or in secret? any tips?

33 replies

Latest activity by Muppet, 31 of October of 2013 at 16:01
  • M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - I have been looking at packages where they take care of everything at like a resort. This seems like the easiest way to do as little planning myself....

I think weather wise it's looking like Greece might be a good place.

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

We eloped, but not abroad. I considered it, but tbh it's so much faff doing everything yourself that throwing another country into the mix was a complication too far for me.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I've only really looked into it today - it seems oh so complicated, but I don't even know how to go about getting married here either. I'd like to pay someone to sort everything out - so have been looking at resorts that do everything for you!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

It's simple. Find a licensed venue. Find a celebrant/registrar. Book and do paperwork. Turn up at the alloted time.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Do you not have to still give notices etc, get birth certificates? I really have on idea what I am doing!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

That's the paperwork bit. Perhaps you shoudl find out what you need to do before stressing about where it shoud be?

• L
    Laura Radford Photography ·
    • Hide content

Want to take me with you, I miss the sunshine!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys - I am spending today's lunch break emailing for quotes to get an idea of costs. Someone has suggested vegas, but i'm not so sure... can it be done nicely?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Getting married in vegas can be done nicely, you don't have to be married by an elvis impersonator!

I'm sure there is someone on here planning a vegas wedding, I think it's erin8. Perhaps give her a shout to see if she has anymore info

• lionel taplin
    lionel taplin ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched!

Recently shot a pretty intimate wedding in Italy, which you don't need any residency requirements. The couple hired a villa and held the reception there. They had to hire a planner to deal with the local suppliers but they did do a lot themselves. Think in the end it was a bit cheaper than if they did it in the UK.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

If you want minimal planning faff, how about hiring a wedding planner?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh yes, I want a wedding planner! I'm the total opposite to a bridezilla, I want someone to arrange everything for me (even asked the OH if he'd consider don't tell the bride! - he said no)

I don't even want to have to chose my own dress.....

I spoke to a wedding planner yesterday, and we discounted a few places, and settled for possibly Greece (I think) and Italy, so just waiting for quotes and package ideas!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

OH and I are heading to New York in June to marry Smiley smile

we can wed outside for minimum fuss, and its seriously cheap and easy to plan!

Theres's loads of different locations in Central Park which only require a permit if you have 25 guests (however I'm told that its worth spending the $25 to reserve the spot). Or you could choose city hall? There will only be 4-5 guests with us so we will then go on to a restaurant for dinner and drinks.

The marriage will be legally recognised in UK. And we just need to turn up with ID to collect the marriage license 24 hours prior to the planned ceremony.

we've booked a photographer and an officiant/celebrant online and paid deposits through PayPal. I'm so excited about our photo opportunities in Times Sq, and yellow taxis!,

From our experience theres loads of companies out there who offer wedding packages in NYC but for us it's proving much cheaper to source things ourselves!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I have found a wedding!!! We are going to go to Malta for a week and get hitched while was are on our 4 star all inclusive break Smiley smile Now, to start saving, lose weight, and find a wedding dress.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh congrats Lifeizsweet87!

Malta is absolutely beautiful, make sure you go to Gozo for a day trip! Where is your ceremony going to be held?

I highly recommend this company for vintage cars should you need them , the cars were amazing and the drivers were incredibly friendly - http://weddingsinmalta.com/wedding-cars-in-malta/

I went to an amazing restaurant there too, but the name escapes me now...I'll come back if I remember it!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile

Being the very lazy bride that I am, we're going through Thomson travel and they're arranging it all for us (including a cake for 30 people....there will only be the 2 of us, so that will be fun!)

They will even get witnesses for us.

So looking forward to it!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Ww booked the holiday part of the wedding! Wil be placing the wedding deposit at the end of the month!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

WE HAVE PAID OUR DEPOSIT!!! EEEEK In 6 months I will be getting married.

We've sent our date requests, which hopefully will be confirmed within a few weeks. It's officially real.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I probably wouldn't be able to wait 2 years, once I get an idea into my head....

I'm going to wear a white or cream dress, but much more casual than a wedding dress, just like a nice summer dress I think - I'm terrible with finding stuff I actually like, so the search for that starts in the sales after Christmas!

When we get back my plan is to go see my mum and dad and tell them, and then on the weekend maybe get aload of friends together to party and break the news to them, and have a more formal celebration, possibly, in the summer with mine and OH's families involved.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Yes, a huge surprise I think!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Yes, a huge surprise I think!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Yay amazing news. I saw a Photographer blog an amazing wedding the other day where it was just the two of them. Looked beautiful. I'll see if I can find the link.....

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Would be lovely if you could - We're not actually planning on having a photographer....

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
  • M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, Those photos are beautiful! makes me so excited! Thank you for sharing them

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Right? Makes me want to do it again ?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to wait 6 months! Wish we could just get married now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics