Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2024 Worcestershire

Eloping then having a uk ceremony?

Lucy, 21 September, 2023 at 20:36 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2
Hi ๐Ÿ‘‹

My first time on here. Newly engaged ๐Ÿ’
My partner and I are planning to marry abroad just us and our little boy. We both have huge families and are expecting both sides to be disappointed with our choice.
However, we have been thinking about having our wedding abroad alone, but then having a late afternoon blessing/ceremony back home with family and an evening reception? No formal wedding breakfast just a buffet.
Has anyone done this or been to a wedding similar? I donโ€™t know if the idea of a ceremony even makes sense after already being married abroad? But we would like to have our families involved somehow?

2 replies

Latest activity by Liz, 15 October, 2023 at 23:07
  • S
    Savvy May 2024 Bedfordshire
    Sarah ยท
    • Hide content
    Hi Lucy!
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    Haven't been to anything similar, but we are planning on doing the same thing elope just the two of us abroad and then having a reception when we get back with close friends/family. We're thinking on putting together photos of our day so everyone is included in that way, and get a cake, buffet with different things that we both like. In the run up we're enlisting the help of our best friends to go dress/suit shopping with have a stag/hen do. One of our friends is a photographer and she has seen a real increase in elopements especially going abroad and mixing it with reception on your return is a nice way to celebrate with friends/family.
    Our friends have been so understanding about our choice and that the day is about us and we want it to be intimate, also that we love travelling so makes sense (and financially in having the honeymoon at the same place/straight after). Family we are yet to voice our plans to and consious it wont be well received but its our day in the end!
  • L
    Beginner November 2023 South East London
    Liz ยท
    • Hide content

Hi Lucy

Congratulations! We are having a UK elopement then a separate reception. We are doing it for personal reasons but its turning out as equally as expensive as having a full day. However the reception is in a lovely venue and we have quite a few guest. If you are financing it yourselves you can do what you want.

Our family took it pretty well and the good thing with a separate evening party/reception invite you can exclude kids (we haven't invited our own to that!) Also we aren't doing traditional speeches - just a joint one. Everyone knows we will be married before the "reception" part and no one really cares. They are just happy to come and celebrate with us. Whatever you do just make sure you are happy with it.

Good Luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics