Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NearlyNup
Beginner March 2013

Eloping to Europe

NearlyNup, 1 of October of 2012 at 21:07 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

Hi,

Haven't posted on here in a while! When I joined this site we were thinking of a low-key do in the UK but now we're thinking of just running away and marrying somewhere sunny and rural in Europe, possible Malta or Italy, as soon as we can afford it. Can anyone give us some advice on these places? There would be us two, the best man, the maid of honour and two other guests and we would like to keep the budget under a grand. Is there anywhere else Mediterranean-y that would suit our needs?

2 replies

Latest activity by Ampy, 8 of October of 2012 at 09:03
  • Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptuals and welcome to the abroad section.

We were in the same boat as you but our numbers are growing ;-)

We still haven't picked a location yet - but one thing for you to bear in mind is that some places require you to be resident for a while beforehand (some can be weeks!); also some places are just a blessing rather than a legally binding wedding. Sorry if you know this already, it's just one of the pitfalls we have found ourselves in.

Good luck with the planning x

In respect of the budget you have - is that for the ceremony and food etc? I assume flights and accom are separate? x

• NearlyNup
    Beginner March 2013
    NearlyNup ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

We've found a package website that would do the whole service and paperwork for £400 if you book it with accommodation, or £500 if you sort out your own place to stay, in Malta. Waiting to hear back from them about a quote but hopefully £1000 should cover the flights and food for six too. (We only really need to buy a suit for him, a pair of shoes each and the rings - flowers come included in the package and the dress was bought a while ago).

As for residency that's why we're more likely to go for Malta (no need to be a resident) or Italy (you need to turn up I think 4 days beforehand) but Italy is looking a lot more expensive.

We plan on telling our families a week or two before we go to give them the chance to come... it's so tempting to just run away with each other and our four witnesses though, as there is some tension between the families.

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Wow that sounds fab, as I'm a panicker make sure you check the company out beforehand. I imagine people on here will more than likely have heard of the company. Sorry, I don't want to sound patronising but I get freaked out at the thought of someone getting their heart broken - I think once you mention the word "wedding" it's a free for all for people to rip you off.

By the time we come to book all of our stuff I will have personally vetted every individual involved and had web cameras fitting at their homes just to keep an eye on them lol.

Sorry to hear about the family tensions, do you not think that the thought of your wedding would bring people closer together?

I don't know much about Malta - but I don know that Italy can be expensive.

Decisions decisions, good luck with your planning, keep us posted, xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics