Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2016

Engagement party gift?

LauraLtobe, 26 of July of 2016 at 10:50 Posted on Planning 0 6

A work friend of mine is having an engagement party next weekend and I'm not sure if we're meant to get a gift. I've never been to an engagement party before and they're having it because they don't intend to get married anytime soon.

I got them a card when they got engaged (no gift as I'd never met the groom before and wouldn't say we were super close). Do I get them another card and a gift?

Also, another work friend did get them a gift when they first got engaged! Should she get them another present?

Thank you!

6 replies

Latest activity by Наталия, 24 of October of 2020 at 11:53
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't get an engagement gift- just a card.

If you get a wedding invite, you'd be expected to give them a gift then.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I generally buy an engagement gift if it's someone close. That said it's not usually anything expensive. I certainly wouldn't buy another card if you already gave them one and if your friend already gave them a gift they don't need to buy another.

Engagement gifts used to be the done thing as it was the start of collecting what you needed ready for marriage and a home. Nowadays most people live together anyway. And some people like me get engaged and don't bother getting married for ten years lol.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

A gift isn't required but I always take one and I think its common, more than half our guests gave something too mostly wine from friends and money from family... I think wine, champagne or prosseco are the most common physical engagement gift along with cards and/or money popular with family members, small engagement related gifts are good too though (wedding filofax, anything that say engagement etc...) but big presents aren't common I say £10 is more than enough for engagement gifts

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

We had an engagement party, we got lots of bottles of fizz Smiley smile If I was invited to one I would get them a bottle of fizz.

If your friend already got them a gift I wouldn't buy another one.

They're having a party to celebrate not to get gifts (hopefully).

Hope this helps

• It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

I loved having a shelf full of bubbly after our engagement party! Doesn't matter how much you spend, just put a big ribbon round it and enjoy celebrating with them :-)

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I'd take along a bottle of fizz to an engagement party. If I had already sent a card, then I wouldn't get another one. Likewise, if I had already got them a present, I wouldn't buy another one x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics