Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner December 2014

Engagement party......who to invite...

tarabella, 9 of July of 2013 at 16:56 Posted on Planning 0 8

I have always thought that you only invite people to the engagement party that you will be inviting to the wedding.......any thoughts? There are differing views within the family. ?

8 replies

Latest activity by Наталия, 22 of October of 2020 at 22:31
  • Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

It's a party I thou u invited who u want?

Saying that I never had one or even been to one! x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We just went with the people we wanted there, who we speak to and spend time with. With the wedding I know there are at least a few people who I don't care about being there who probably I will have to invite, but I don't think the engagement party needs to be everybody who's invited to the wedding. We also invited quite a few people who will only get evening invites to the wedding, although I don't think we invited anybody who won't be invited to the wedding at all.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Any engagement party I've been to has always been far bigger than the wedding party. So unless my mates are actually so horrible that they get a load of declines for the wedding day, they must have invited people that weren't subsequently included at the wedding.

I didn't have one (not my thing). Had I had one, it would have been a massive excuse for a party, and therefore would have included anyone and everyone.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

We had about 200 people at our party, people from work, friends from lots of different circles, family friends etc. It was nice to see my family and OH's family mingling together and getting to know each other.

We're only having 70 people at the wedding.

Go with what you want, if you want everyone there, do it! It's your party.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a bit odd to invite people and not invite them to the wedding.... unless you were havng very small, intimate wedding.

I didn't have one because a) seemed too much like hard work, and I found planning wedding enough stress as it is and b) I kinda feel like people are compelled to offer you presents, and they are not really receiving anything.... does that make sense? I know, for example, everyone (or non-rude poeple at least) brings a present to the wedding, but you are offering them food, and wine, nice setting etc. I didn't want to make people feel like they were obliged to bring a present.

I felt relaly bad when distant relatives etc who weren't invited to the wedding still sent us a present in a card, eg my nana's best childhood friend sent us £50 in a card. So generous

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We had one and invited everyone who would ultimately be invited to the wedding or at least the evening. However me and OH went to one last year and when the wedding rolled around this year we didn't receive an invite which we thought pretty rude and a bit odd.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I never had an engagement party, but i'd have only invited people who were coming to the wedding to it.
    I think anyone who attended the engagement would nearer the wedding expect an invite and feel a bit insulted or maybe used about not getting asked to it? Especially since majority would probably give gifts or money. Personally I wouldn't ask people to celebrate our engagement then not ask them to celebrate actually getting married ? If I were having a small intimate wedding and not many at all then I probably just wouldn't have an engagement do (exactly why we chose not to) ?

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    claireanne89 ·
    • Hide content

We invited more or less everyone we knew!

its was in a pub function hall so it was just an excuse for a big party and there was no limit on the number of people.

There was a lot of people who came to the party who aren't invited to the wedding as we have to limit numbers due to costs. The people we aren't inviting to the wedding understand and aren't really too bothered as we're not that close anymore.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics