Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kizzi10000
Beginner August 2016

Engagement ring during ceremony

kizzi10000, 20 of January of 2015 at 19:58 Posted on Planning 0 11

Been wondering what to do with my engagement ring, and what order they're worn on the finger.

When I got married before I put my engagement ring on my other hand, but forgot to put it back on, and ended up with no ring photos of my wedding ring, just engagement.

So to stop me from forgetting this time, I thought about keeping my engagement ring on. But then the wedding ring would be on top of it, and that's the wrong way round. Though I could always swap them afterwards. If I remember. Not sure if ER would fit on another finger.

And IS there any order to how engagement/wedding/eternity rings are worn?

Just a small pondering after my son asked me what happened to the engagement ring when I got married lol

11 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 21 of January of 2015 at 15:03
  • B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a bridesmaid it would fit who might be more likely to remember you need to put it back on? This was suggested by the hairdresser at a wedding I went to, she said it's what brides tend to do if the ring doesn't fit their other hand.

• R
    Beginner June 2015
    RomanticRedHair152 ·
    • Hide content

Pass to your MOH to pass back to you after ceremony

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I just put mine on the other hand and put it back on with my wedding ring after the photos. I think having my H try to put it on top of my ER during the ceremony would have been awkward.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to take my engagement ring off on the morning, and wear it on the other hand; that was always my long term plan anyway, because my ER is a sparkly band and my WR is a plain band.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The best thing to do is switch it to your right hand before the ceremony. Then after the rings have been exchanged you can switch it back if you like.

I wouldn't give it to anyone unless they can wear it. There was an incident in the summer where a thief entered a church during the group photos and stole a bridesmaids little clutch bag. The bride had given the engagement ring to her for safekeeping. (It wasn't one of my client's weddings just one I heard about)

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'm lucky in that my ER fits my right hand so I will wear it on there then pop it on my left hand soon after? X

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I put mine on my right hand and switched it back afterwards.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yep, I put mine on my right hand and then swapped it back. Apparently your wedding ring goes first as its closest to your heart :-)

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning to put in on my right finger during the ceremony and swap it back after, however I have jsut tried it on my right hand and it's a bit tight! Which means it probably won't fit in the heat of the summer - so I may en dup giving it to one of my BM's.

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

When I was BM for my sister she gave her ring to me to wear during the ceremony and I gave it back straight after Smiley smile I'll do the same I think.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to switch my ER to my right hand, but afterwards I'll be wearing the ER then wedding band to hold it in place!

My ER is getting too big since I lost weight and jewelers are reluctant to downsize it since it's a tension set stone. Chances are I'd lose the stone if they messed with the size Smiley sad

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. Will probably just swap hands or fingers with it - if I ggive it to someone else to look after I'm/they're more likely to forget about it lol. Might ask the tog to remind me if we have ring photos and i've not put it back where it should be

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics