Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2013

Engagement ring insurance

hampshire_bride, 21 March, 2012 at 13:20 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to all of this. I got engaged last month and I think it's a good idea to get the ring insured. I have never worn such expensive jewellery and have never even owned a ring of any sort before. It's taking a bit of getting used to wearing but I absolutely love it :-) Anyway, that aside I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for an insurance company? I guess I would want it covered for theft, loss and severe damage?. I'm paranoid about it falling off even though i have to tugg a bit to get it off!

Thanks in advance for any reccommedations.

11 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 22 March, 2012 at 11:19
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Do you have household insurance? We put mine under that, it is the most expensive thing I own so definitely wanted it insured! I went to the jewellers and told them I wanted it covered under my insurance so they printed something out that I sent to the insurance company to be added on.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Depending on how much the ring is worth, it may well be covered automatically on your home contents insurance. This is normally for items up to £1500 but you'll have to check exactly what it covers you for (damage etc).

If it is more than that you can add it as an itemised addition to your contents insurance.

Do a fresh quote first with your insurer over the internet. When I tried to add mine on it was coming out as an extra £10 a month whereas to cancel the policy and take out a fresh quote with it itemised from the beginning was only £2 extra a month.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Added mine to the house insurance, so it is actually listed and covered at its value.

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    Bride123 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is absolutley worth insuring your ring like others have suggested. My engagement ring is listed under house content insurance. if you have house insurance contact them it is worth doing!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

If you have home contents insurance you should list the ring under that. Also, bear in mind that a lot of companies can also offer something that is generally called "personal belongings away from home" - this would be the better place to list the ring, as this is then covered IN AND AWAY from the home, so if it were to fall off you would be fully covered.

I know of people who have been emptying their rubbish into the wheelie bin, their ring fell off, and because it was ONLY listed inside the home the insurance company didnt pay out, because once its in the bin it is technically no longer in your home (the garden is your home, however you need to remember that the wheelie bin is emptied and if you dont "find" the ring before they empty it, then its become "away" from the home and hence not covered). I really do not want to scare people, but this is the best cover to take for a high value item like a ring.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Mine had a year's free insurance through the jewellers' when OH bought it. As it happens, our house insurance was due for renewal when that year ran out, so I made enquiries of my existing insurers to include it as a specifically named item. It added loads to the premium, so I just shopped around for a new insurance company and included it from the start. I'll be adding our wedding rings as well come the summer as my finger will be the most expensive part of my body by then!

• Xtalulu
    Beginner March 2013
    Xtalulu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Mine is insured as personal belongings to its value on our home contents insurance so it's covered out and about. Because it was over the single item limit I think I costed under £100 on our annual insurance and we had to provide proof of valuation, also they requested the ring is checked every couple of years to make sure the diamond is still seated securely.

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

Mine was added to the house insurance, I know it put the price up a bit. I can't say much more about it though - I have never seen the proof of valuation, which nearly gave everything away, apparently it arrived on the day OH proposed. But luckily I didn't pick up the post that day so I had no reason to suspect him of receiving post from a jewellers! Smiley smile

• J
    jhndavid ·
    • Hide content

Most insurance companies cover you but it pays to check on this. Also check that you have a replacement policy and not an indemity. which means you will only get present day value and not the replacement cost etc. We got our wedding rings from there too. I believe we got a VIP discount because we were prior customers. We wanted them engraved and we when we went to pick them up, there were no engravings.

• H
    Beginner August 2013
    hampshire_bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advise everyone. I will contact our home insurer and compare that to the online quote I found and see which is best. I hadn't even thought of putting on that as I didn't realise it would cover things outside the home. Thanks very much again.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I took out insurance on our rings through the jewellers that we purchased them from, this cover damages etc plus they are insured through the house insurance too....... only advice I'd give is shop around all the different options people suggest to see what works out best for you.

Regards

L x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics