Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ebony_rose
Genius

Engagement rings online. Found the one, with FLASH!!!

ebony_rose, 22 of March of 2011 at 13:35 Posted on Planning 0 35

So, my OH is planning to propose.

Even though we've already agreed to get hitched, he wants to do a proper proposal, complete with a ring.

Now ladies, I (and my OH) need your help with finding a ring. I've told him what i like, and shown him some, but I think he's quite scared of buying it without me there and getting it wrong incase my pregnancy hormones make my foot displace his testicles.

I want to get one online, as waddling round the shops is a killer ATM.

If any of you ladies got your rings online, or know of any good sites, could you flash, or tell me the site please. Apparantly, my £45,000 choice of a Tiffany ring isn't an option, he's such a meanie.?

We've got a budget of about £1500, so if you've seen any lush rings for that budget, please flash those too.

I don't want a plain solitaire, I like my bling, and would like some diamonds on the shoulder. I don't like cluster rings either...

Can anyone help please?

TIA. xxxx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After much searching, I found I ring I LOVE. 18ct white gold 0.75 ct diamonds, and much to OHs relief, slightly under budget. If i'd have gone for platinum it would have added another £350 to it, so gone for the white gold.

Thank you to all you ladies who helped. Just got to wait for him to propose now. xxx

35 replies

Latest activity by sproggers, 25 of May of 2011 at 10:17
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Hiya. I'm not loads of help as I didn't get my engagement ring online but I've heard Blue Nile are pretty good. My ring is based on a design on there (my OH saw it and had it made by a local jeweller). You can build and design your own ring so can make exactly what you want. x

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm hard cos i dont know what your taste is but my ER is from ernest jones and they have some nice ones in there for your budget

£1100

£1299

£1499

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I got my ring from a shop in Hatton Garden (a sapphire with a diamond on each side) but before that I was considering this one:

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/exclusive-18ct-gold-050ct-brilliant-cut-diamond-ring-06011838

• R
    Beginner August 2011
    robertson2b ·
    • Hide content

Both my engagement and wedding rings came from Blue Nile and I would recommend them 100% when looking around jewellery shops for my wedding ring, many of the jewellers commented on the quality of the diamond.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like ones like this, but where the stone in the middle is 1 stone, rather than a cluster of stones.

I also like the split shoulders.

Never even thought of Ernest jones. Thank you.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like this one too. Quite simple, but classy looking.

This is going to be hard. Who'd have thought i'd struggle to spend OHs money.

Thank you for the recs so far ladies. xx

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

77diamonds were really good. You can purchase online, although we actually went up to London to see them.

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content

This is my ring, it's hard to see from the angle of the picture but there are diamonds down the band as well. Four on each side I think. There are 21 diamonds in total but one main one. The total is 1.25 carats and I love it. It's antique art deco and I chose it, with the fiance of course, from Cavendish Jewellers in York. It was over your budget but it is very bid on so you could get something similar for less money as they had a huge range. They've got a website with some of their pieces on but if you rang them and told them the types of styles you were looking for I'm sure they'd send you some pictures.

My ring gets commented on absolutely everywhere I go and it's the best decision I've ever made! I totally love it Smiley smile

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Miss Doone I love your ring! my ER is new but my wedding ring is from the big red antique centre in York

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah thank you!!! Well as for the wedding ring...it's been a total nightmare! Because of the shape of the ring, and the fact that I hate those shaped rings, I need to have a completely flat band...literally as flat as possible....to sit under the diamond. That's proven impossible! So I managed to find a cheapy one in HPJ for £25 in 9carat gold which I bought as a temporary measure and then after the wedding when we've got more time I'm going to have one made properly in a more expensive metal to match the ER. Or I might go to Cavendish in York and try to get another antique one from there.

I looked at Big Red Antique Centre in York too!!! We must have went to every antique dealers there was until I found 'the one' ha.

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    MrsLeighToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am new to this website, although I have been lurking for a while. I got engaged xmas day 2010 and my engagement ring is from Diamond Geezer which has featured on Dragons Den. I can not recommend them highly enough. You pick the setting you want then the diamond, depending on size, clarity or price and go from there. Here is my ring, not the actual one on my finger as i can't seem to get a pic which isn't blurry (ring is so sparkly).

http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamond-engagement-rings/viewring.php?sku=05-0110-6160&detectflash=false

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Miss Doone that is one of the most stunning engagement rings I've ever seen............

Stunning! x

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

This is where we got my engagement ring from,

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with the above, I have an art deco diamond solitaire that has stepped diamond shoulders and love the fact that no one else has the same ring as me. Art deco rings were known for each peice being made individually so each peice is unique to you, the older diamonds are also cut lovely, I've had a few jewellers comment on how nice my ring is and sparkly too. (With older rings you dont have to worry about them being blood diamonds! )

With your budget you could pick up a lovely peice of history that no high street shop window will ever have, plus you will get the style you want. Smiley smile

Happy Hunting - it took me 3 months to find mine but it was worth it.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

This is what i got about 3 weeks ago....(i proposed to my OH in january with a ring so had to wait til he had saved up the money for mine) , it was just under £1400, its a platinum princess cut solitaire with seven diamonds on each shoulder, sparkles so much when the light hits it, i didnt think id be into blingy but when the woman brought it out to us i knew instantly it was THE one........i absolutely love it!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am liking the thought of an older ring.

I would have liked a ring that was passed through the family, but unfortunately, there are no rings suitable in my family, or OHs.

Some lovely rings ladies, thank you. x

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah thank you so much Smiley smile

I totally agree with the other post with the fab art deco ring...sorry I forgot the name of the poster ha...that it's completely unique and no one else will have it. LOVE it Smiley smile x

• C
    Beginner April 2011
    CM2007 ·
    • Hide content

I'd have love to have gotten an art deco ring but mine was the one that his father gave his mother so has sentimental attachments. Unfortuntaley, they weren't engaged in the 1920s!!

Have you looked up Hatton Garden? Most of the shops have their "pre-loved" jewellery on their websites. Also the jewellery quarter in Birmingham - not that I've ever been there.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live very close to there, so I may have to face the shops as i've seen nothing online.

I know my OH would like to do the whole trying rings on shizzle, but TBH, the thought of it bores me to tears.

I'm not wired right when it comes to weddings, or anything romantic, so this may be quite difficult.

Thanks ladies. xx

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    mrskay2bee ·
    • Hide content

Not sure where in th uk you are? I cannot reccomend the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham enough!!!! There are a real mix of stores so you hav to do some shopping around, some are just like high st who make profits & give you the "spiel" about how good they are. Some are lower quality places & some are just great. I bought from Paul Green wo makes all his own stuff. He even makes for the high st!!!! So you get a bargain as you cut out hig st profits! My ring was half the insurance value price! You will save and more s now as price of metal etc is going up. isnt everything right now!!? May have to start walking to save petrol & cashfor the big day hahah!

• B
    Bella&Brad ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, im sure ive emailed you previously about my jeweller, he is fantastic, i just sent him a picture of the ring you liked and he has said he could do that ring for under £1000, i did also mention that you would like 1 stone in the middle rather than a cluster, but he cant quote you on that as i didnt no what size stone you would like. He has done both our engagement and wedding rings and they are amazing. I saw my engagement ring in a jewellers and took a photo of it , showed my jeweller it and he was about 40% cheaper. our rings come with a GIA certificate. Give him a call and get a quote, you have nothing to lose. his number is ****, let me no how you get on, good luck. xxx PS everyone i have recommended him to have not been dissapointed. xxx

• M
    Curious July 2012
    MrsG2Bee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the same ring i have and love it x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.

I've managed to find one I LOVE!!! (And OH is very suprised I kept under budget ?)

xxx

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I havent got a pic of my engagement ring.

It is my grandmothers. She had left it to me when she died when I was 10 years old.

My mum had kept it safe until I moved out at 20 and she gave it to me so I could wear it as a normal ring.

Unfortunatley it was too large and so it stayed in the jewellry box unworn (couldnt afford to resize it)

After living together for 4 years, we started talking about getting married, and every so often we would go to the jewelers to see what styles we liked.

Then I remembered one day that I had my grandmothers ring, and I said to him, that what would mean more than anything to me would be to have my ring resized and be able to use that as an engagement ring rather than spending a fortune in the high street shops.

Its gorgeous. Very dainty, but very unusual. I think it must be dating from around the 1920's/1930's.

Its not a typical shape, so I will have to have a wedding band made to fit around it.

I am just about to pop to the jewelers who resized my ring to see what they can suggest.

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

I dont know if you live anywhere near Brighton but we went to the Lanes ( quite well known for jewellers there) There are so many 'diamond' places to chose from there and you get a really good price/service if you see something, we managed to knock the man down a couple of hundred and they resize on site for you. Maybe worth a day out?

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can't say that and not flash! But yay for finding one.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Updated in OP, with flash!

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Love it ER! x

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

Very pretty.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Yeay! Thats very pretty, look forward to the propsal story now

• M
    Beginner
    martinjack ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I have also seen beautiful engagement rings at custom engagement rings. These are really nice and worthy rings for partners.

• sproggers
    Beginner May 2012
    sproggers ·
    • Hide content

This is mine, a little bit different, a bit of bling and something that wasn't that expensive that I can still feel I can wear it! lol ( This pic doesn't do it justice at all though) it's really sparkly ?.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics