Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Engagement/Wedding Ring Dilema

Hells82, 8 June, 2012 at 21:44 Posted on Planning 0 7

Help needed please. I have a White Gold engagement ring and have just been told that the reason my finger is bright red and has been since wearing it is because I am allergic to Gold!!

We don't have enough money to afford platinum so am trying to find a nice new silver engagement ring and wedding ring.

Can anyone help me and put me in the right direction of somewhere that sells these but not tacky?

Thanks!!!!

7 replies

Latest activity by Born2Shop, 12 June, 2012 at 00:59
  • H
    Beginner September 2013
    hev54 ·
    • Hide content

It might not be what you're after but I have a palladium ring. It's part of the platinum family and used to actually be more expensive, but now it's much cheaper and looks exactly like platinum. We couldn't afford platinum either but this palladium one is fab.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered palladium? Hard wearing like platinum but no where near as expensive.

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

Oh no what a pain - is it definitely an allergy? I only ask because my finger gets very sore under my ring if I don't wash the soap off my hands properly

Anyway, if you do need a new ring, what is the budget and what sort of style are you looking for?

Have you thought about going to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham and getting something made to your specification?

• H
    Beginner
    Hells82 ·
    • Hide content

HI, yes definately allergic whole finger red and sore especially round the nail, took ring off wedding finger and on other hand and other hand started to flare in 2 days!

My engagement ring is a square set, vintage style very delicate.

Great idea about Birmingham jewelery quarter! Thanks a lot

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

My wedding ring is palladium and was less than £100. I wear it with my platinum ER.

• D
    Beginner April 2013
    dee32 ·
    • Hide content

I'm allergic to gold too (including white gold), but don't have any problems with silver.

This site has some really lovely silver engagement and wedding rings: www.rudells.com

Hope this helps.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Its probably the nickel in it you're allargic to. I have a nickel allergy which includes any white gold or yellow gold under 23 (or around that figure) carat - as the gold is coated in nickel to make it stronger The higher the carat, the purer the gold is. I've got quite a bad allergy (well rediculously bad to be honest) in that even the nickel in the silver coloured coins (50p, 20p, £2 etc) turn my hands/fingers into a very sore red rash so its very rare I pay with cash nowadays. Nickel is also found in costume jewelery, so be careful if you're looking for any 'cheap' accessories.

My engagement ring is silver - but make sure you look for british *sterling* silver. I do feel for my OH as my allergy did restrict his choice, but any jeweler I've been too knows what to look for if you've got a nickel allergy as it's pretty common.

H Samuel's do a good range of silver if you want a high street jeweller, and they include some with diamonds in too. It'll be worth having a look at some local jewelers, silver is a low cost metal so you could maybe even get some bespoke, which is what we're doing for our wedding rings.

• B
    Beginner May 2014
    Born2Shop ·
    • Hide content

I can totally recommend the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, as I come from Brum. Much better value than anywhere you'll get on the High Street, and many will custom make you whatever you want to your budget. General rule of thumb there is that whatever you pay, it's worth double. We got my engagement ring there this Easter, and it's worth £1200 more than what OH paid. Can't recommend it more xx good luck! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics