Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner October 2011

English Getting Married in Scotland - Notices help!

theonian, 27 of July of 2011 at 11:05 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi All,

I'm trying to find some help with regards to notices, but not succeeding so far, am surprised cos I can't be the only one! I am having a civil ceremony.

Basically, my fiance is originally from Scotland, where his parents still live and we both live in England.

According to the Scottish laws, we can send out notice forms and birth certificates up for them to prepare the marriage schedule, I have the option of sending in my notice to my local borough if I reallt want to, but I'm not going to as it's more time consuming and afew £ pounds more expensive.

But, when I called the local borough up, they insisted that I needed to do my notices there regardless where I'm getting married. The scottish office has insisted that I don't need to do this as long as we both send our notices in to Scotland.

Has anybody had any experiences of this and what did they do?

I did make an appointment with the local office, but I won't have the 21 days required (can't get a booking until too much time later) to get the Superintendant Register Certificate (15 days for notice and 6 days for some other admin reason), so I'm just keen to know that as long as I send my notices into Scotland I can get married?!

Thanks for your help!

3 replies

Latest activity by theonian, 27 of July of 2011 at 15:14
  • 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

This website has information that you might find useful
    http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/scotland.htm

section from the website:

IF YOU LIVE IN ENGLAND AND WALES

• As an alternative to the normal procedure of giving notice to a registrar in Scotland, if you intend to marry
      (i) a person residing in Scotland, or
      (ii) a person residing in England or Wales who has a parent residing in Scotland,
      you may give notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar in the district of England or Wales in which you reside. The person you are marrying should, however, give notice in Scotland in the usual way.
    • You should seek the advice of the superintendent registrar if you wish to proceed in this way. The certificate for marriage obtained from him should be sent to the Scottish registrar as quickly as possible.
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Same as Sange, we rang them sent the M10, they called back for a chat and we picked up the schedule on route to the wedding, we did nothing at this end

• T
    Beginner October 2011
    theonian ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for getting back to me all. This really helps to put my mind at rest Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics