Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~~~liz~~~
Beginner January 2008

Epilators - worth the pain?

~~~liz~~~, 3 June, 2009 at 11:26 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

As above really. Are they really worth all the pain? I bought one a couple of days ago but I'm too scared to try it yet. Ive read some mixed reviews on it so thought I would see what the Hitched collective make of them.

20 replies

Latest activity by Carrot, 3 June, 2009 at 13:42
  • Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Worth the pain but not the ingrown hairs imo. Nothing I did helped (tend skin, exfoliating and moisturising etc). I've given up now.

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

I like mine and have been using it for over a year now, I dont get many in grown hairs but i exfoiliate and moisturise almost every day

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks chicken. I will give it a go (maybe after some wine).

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ILS. How often do you use it,does it still hurt as much?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I've just sold my once used one on fleabay.

It wasn't that painful but it would have taken an age to remove all my armpit hair. That makes me sound like i'm really hair but I wasn't, it just didn't seem to take that many hairs as you swept it through. I couldn't be arsed.

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well Im too scared to use it on my legs let alone armpits! ?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I used one a couple of years ago, and got rid of it because it was really painful plus I had to shave again afterwards because it left so many hairs behind! It may just have been me or the model I bought. Plus I am a wimp when it comes to pain.

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

I use mine every week for armpits (takes about 2 mins each one) and every other week for legs

It does take a long time to do legs but it is better and lasts longer than shaving

Ive got so used to the pain now it doesnt hurt at all - unless I catch my armpit in a funny way and then ??

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content

It seems I may have wasted my money then. I'll get drunk be brave and try it tonight. Does it not leave you nice and smooth then? Im so fed up of shaving and having prickly legs!

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its similar to waxing, I find I need to epilate as often as I needed to wax when I waxed but its cheaper

I find Im proper smooth for about 2 days but only really need to epilate after about 10 days - 2 weeks

I am very dark haired though so it might be different if you were lighter or blonde

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im very dark haired too. Im not too bothered about being totally smooth, just want rid of the stubbly legs!

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

Good luck with that!

I've thought about getting one but for the amount of hairs on my legs I don't think the pain is worth it [laugh[

• voddy vixen
    voddy vixen ·
    • Hide content

I have one I use occasionally but find it takes too long to get every hair, so tend to go back to shaving or waxing.

Didn't find it particularly painful to use on my legs but hurt like hell when I tried it on my underarms. ?

• S
    Beginner June 2009
    soontobemarried ·
    • Hide content

I found it took too long, and I still ended up with some hairs left< so had to shave anyway

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right, thats it. Too many of you have used the crying man, its going nowhere near the pits!

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I had awful problems with ingrowing hairs on my legs, but then I am a bit lax on the exfoliating front. It took forever too, I just find it much easier to shave. I do however use it <whispers> on my upper lip <whispers> - it hurts the first time but you do get used to it and I definitely get less regrowth there now.

• AngelFace123
    Beginner November 2007
    AngelFace123 ·
    • Hide content

I use mine on my thighs and underarms. I can't use it on the bottom of my legs, far too many ingrown hairs so much easier to shave every morning! I do have very fine, light hair on my legs so not sure if that has anything to do with the ingrowns because I moisurise everyday and exfoliate regularily.

I'd take a couple of painkillers 30 minutes before, helps numb the pain. Once your past the shins its normally not as painful.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Great for underarms, okay for bikini line (yes, I have a high pain threshold ?), rubbisher than a rubbish thing for legs. What I've found is that it stretches the hairs and then they snap off at or just below skin level, which means subbliness, ingrown hairs and horrible shadows of hairs that you can see beneath the skin. Like Chicken, I tried absolutely everything in terms of Tendskin/exfoliating/moisturising... nothing helped.

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content

I love mine. It does take a long time to do my legs but it's worth it as the regrowth is very fine and slow-growing now. I also use it on my bikini line (when I can see it, i.e. not at the moment) and my armpits. Armpits are by far the worst, much worse than bikini line. I've got one of those epilators with the ice attachment to numb the area but I only used it twice and now the ice thingy is sitting in the freezer somewhere.

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

I seriously can't begin to imagine how anyone uses one of these. I tried once and the pain bought tears to my eyes. I'd rather be waxed. <shudder>

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wine helps ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics