Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2015

ER white gold and scratched

clevercroc, 4 of May of 2015 at 21:31 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all, last week my boyfriend proposed to me me with the ring we chose together. It's a blue topaz with diamonds in a 9ct white gold band. I've only worn it a week and today I noticed the underside of the band had lots of fine scratches on it. Is this normal? I'm really anxious about the ring now and if it looks like this after a week what will it look like in ten years?! I've been super careful with it too as it's new on and I'm very aware of its presence. Any advice or tips greatly appreciated!!

6 replies

Latest activity by elvira-darkside, 7 of May of 2015 at 08:31
  • V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

My ring is a platinum band and is the same after a few weeks wear, they are all fine scratches and not very noticeable. I think it is to be expected. White gold and other golds are softer than other metals so it will scratch. Some gentle polishing will improve it and make sure you get your ring services by a good jeweller on an annual basis to maintain it.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Totally normal. You can have white gold rings re-dipped so I plan to do that every few years with mine. Try not to let it bother you, I have a white gold ring on my other hand that I've been wearing for 10yrs and it still looks good despite the little fine scratches.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, scratches started appearing on my WR pretty much straightaway but it looks fine. If it starts to look yellow, that's the time to get it re-plated.

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

White gold does need re-coating every so often (when I had mine I had it done about every 2 years). It's not expensive so don't panic - it's to do with how soft the respective metals are between the gold underneath and the coating on it. Perfectly normal though.

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    clevercroc ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still a bit concerned. I went to get my wedding ring last night and the jewellers I bought that from thought it looked too scratched for only a week of wear and suggested I take it back to where we bough it and show them. It wasn't completely scratch free when we bought it as we had to take the one that had been tried on rather than ordering a new one. It would have take 8 weeks to order an L and I'll be married by then!!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My ER ring is also blue topaz and diamonds on white gold but mine is 20 years old. I do have it cleaned and polished every 12 months or so and have it re-plated every 5 years. It is a soft gold as others say so does mark easily. In the early days, I wore rubber gloves all the time when cleaning and never took it off but now, I only wear it when I go out anywhere and don't wear it round the house. My first ER which was also white gold got stolen when we were burgled so this is my second ER and I am paranoid about leaving it in the house when I go out now!

If it was me, I would take it back to where you bought it and let them know your concerns. They may offer to have it cleaned for you before the wedding but allow a couple of weeks to do it as some jewellers send them away rather than do it on the premises. If you can take it to a working jeweller rather than a high street shop, they should be able to do it in house for you. Hope you get it sorted though.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if your jeweler does this - but mine essentially 'loaned' me my ring while my actual one was being made. exactly the same ring (i just needed a smaller size). i kept the shop one for around 7 weeks until mine came in. this wasnt something id even asked about, it was just policy. they may let you do the same?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics