Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner March 2013

Erk, cake help needed!

Esther82, 7 March, 2011 at 15:00 Posted on Planning 0 7

So... It's years till my wedding so I needn't worry about that for a while. But at the weekend during much wedding-related chat with a few engaged friends I was asked to make a cake for one of their weddings. Apparently their caterers will allow them to bring up to three "cutting cakes" so they are asking three different friends to make them.

Problem is that I am not the world's best cake maker. My sponge cakes always tend to be on the "flat" side (think it's something to do with my oven). I have checked and cupcakes are not allowed, which is a shame cos that's sort of a speciality of mine.

The only other thing I can really do well is fridge cheesecake but that's not going to survive for hours out of the fridge!

So i need help - what sort of cakes are easy to make, and don't require crazy amounts of skill/really good kitchen equipment?!! I'm really flattered to be asked and I don't want to say no but I really don't know what to make!! ?

7 replies

Latest activity by Esther82, 7 March, 2011 at 17:23
  • caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

My speciality is chocolate brownies.. would that count?

I also make a mean blueberry-banana cake, both are really easy cos I don't really 'do' complicated

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Why dont you do one of those big cupcakes? Umm basic sponge or chocolate cake is pretty easy you just have to know your oven so might take a couple of trials to get the time and heat right, if your akes are cooked through but flat try sifting your flour in to get more air into your cake and/or adding some baking powder to encourage it to rise.

The only other thing i can think is a cake that is meat to be sunken and squidgy like a chocolate truffle cake!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

How about a fail safe vanilla sponge?

weigh 3/4 eggs, butter, flour and sugar should then weigh the same!! oven 180c and as long as you dont keep opening the oven door voila, lovley cake Smiley smile

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

For something different what about a raspberry and Amaretti Biscuit crunch cake - goes down a storm whenever I make it.

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Hi Esther,

First of all breaaaaaaaaaaaathe, baking is easy but like any activity, the more you do the better you get and the easier it seems to get!

I have taught loads of people to bake as I truly believe that my purpose in life is to teach everyone to bake confidently and everyone is always amazed at actually how easy it is!

Best thing to do is find out what flavours of cake your friend wants and let me know, I will find you a tried and tested recipe and give you a step-by-step guide to follow if you want?

xx

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

My new favourite recipe - http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/

It's moist and delicious

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Nigella's Malteser Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't put the maltesers on the top it just looks like a normal chocolate cake but it tastes sooooooooooooo much better. Almost fail proof too.

• E
    Beginner March 2013
    Esther82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, I guess I will have to have a practice and see what works and what doesn't.

Like the sound of the raspberry and amaretti one though. Will have a google around and see if I can find a recipe.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics