Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Random Name

Ernest Jones

Random Name, 23 of October of 2011 at 06:36 Posted on Planning 0 35

Anyone bought their wedding/engagement ring from them? I've seen something I like in one of their shops. Did a quick Google and some mixed reviews. Including a Watchdog post.

Some of the negative are old posts so wanted to hear from someone who used them recently.

Have you had any issues with your ring?

Am also going to check out Hatton Garden

35 replies

Latest activity by darkivy, 27 of October of 2011 at 15:58
  • ellenlouiserobson
    Beginner August 2012
    ellenlouiserobson ·
    • Hide content

A lot of people have recommended Ernest Jones to me for our Wedding rings, my engagement ring is from H Samuel and had no end of problems with it ( I'm on my second ring already and only been engaged since April)

My sister has a diamond set wedding band from there and she's been married 9 years and not had a single problem with it touch wood.

We are going to go to Ernest jones on our ring shopping day and see what they have to offer x

• ButtercupSoph
    Beginner June 2012
    ButtercupSoph ·
    • Hide content

Hey Date Twin Smiley smile

My OH got my ER from Ernest Jones, and we went there to get my Wedding ring too (they gave us 10% off because he had bought the ER there). We haven't had a problem with them. They were helpful (in the shop near us) in finding us what we wanted. And the rings are beautiful and I haven't had a problem with them.

I have nothing bad to say about them (yet lol) because my experience with them was good and I'm pleased we chose them.

Smiley smile Soph xx

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!

Soph, only 8 months left

• ButtercupSoph
    Beginner June 2012
    ButtercupSoph ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know !! Yippee!

So excited!

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't buy our rings from them so can't comment specifically on that point, but we did have some issues with the jewellery my husband bought me as a gift for the wedding day. I had seen a diamond and pearl earring & necklace set that I really liked, and he told me (after the fact) that he had originally bought them for me, but the quality was so poor that he had to send them back.

In the end we did get a nice set of earrings from them (a different design), but the necklaces were not good enough and he eventually found one elsewhere. So I guess I would just say exercise caution and examine the jewellery carefully before buying.

As a side note, I think that high street prices tend to be quite high for what you get. You might get better value looking somewhere like Hatton Gardens or the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter - or online. We bought ours from Wedding Rings Direct and they are lovely, and much cheaper than they would have been on the high street for the equivalent amount of gold and the design (mine is shaped to fit my ER).

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We got ours from Ernest Jones and the service was great and the rings look lovely but have to wait 7 months to wear them so can't comment on quality just yet.

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

We had an awful experience with Ernest Jones with my engagement ring. Went through five faulty rings and then gave up. Every ring had a problem with it. They said the whole batch must be effected but continued to sell them. We gave up in the end and went to Rox and lovely one there with no problems at all.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I had an awful experience with Ernest Jones. They completely ruined my engagement ring when re-sizing and then repairing (three times!) and were horribly rude to me as well. That was at one store though. I made several complaints to senior management about them. The last time I had an issue it took four complaints to get them to understand just how rude the manager was to me and the deputy manager over rode her decision and changed my ring free of charge in the end.

I didn't wear it for nearly a year after I got the latest version of the ring and in fact i'm now having the ring reset at an independent jewellers because i'm so paranoid about it breaking again.

• ClareMarie85
    Beginner March 2012
    ClareMarie85 ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring was bought from Ernest Jones in 2009 and i've had no problem with it whatsoever

x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jones and Samuels are the same company, under two different names.

• ellenlouiserobson
    Beginner August 2012
    ellenlouiserobson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear really?! That changed my mind about Ernest Jones then, I had a REALLY awful experience with them which caused me nothing but stress and made me ill.

My engagement ring was from there and it being the first bit of expensive Jewellery I've ever owned I was extremely careful with it, took it off for bed, for doing housework even going in the shower and then I was looking at it one day and noticed that some of the claws had fell off but luckily the stones were still there.

The OH took it back to H Samuels who said they wouldn't refund or exchange as it was " Wear and tear" , bearing in mind I got engaged in April 2011 and it broke in July 2011, the woman behind the counter said I had probably got it caught on my clothes and tugged it free which snapped the claws?!?!?!

When I went back to talk to them they wouldn't talk to me as I didn't purchase the ring, finally I went to their head office and got Consumer Direct involved and they were quick to act once they found out I knew what I was on about / doing.

Unluckily the first ring they dispatched was the wrong size and had to go and get re-sized , but now I am absolutely petrified the ring will break again ☹️ I don't wear it when I'm in the house I just keep it inside the box on my bedside table. I take it off when I do absolutely anything with my hands and if I'm at work and need to do something I put it in the drawer. These things are supposed to be sturdy and last a life time but I feel like mine is doomed to break again.

I would have just got a refund and went to a different Jewellers but this ring means a lot to me as my OH picked it ( Surprise Engagement ) and it already upset me that I had to give up the ring he proposed to me with for a whole new one as it just wasn't fixable.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Yep, had all sorts of problems similar to yours. It needed resizing but when it came back the claws were loose and there were black marks all over it. Then they sent it to be replated and it came back and the band was cracked. They sent it off to be repaired and it was fine for about 6 months and then one day it just snapped in two as I was taking it off to do the washing up. I was livid. They refused to take any blame for it, saying it was obviously my fault and was wear and tear and I must have been doing something to it (because you know, a 9ct solid gold ring just snaps as you're doing the gardening or something...) Not to mention the manager was rude to me every single time i went in and complained. It took 8 weeks for the deputy manager of the store to finally hear about it and she over rode the managers decision and exchanged it free of charge for me. But i will never ever go back into ernest jones ever again.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

We got our bands from them back on 2007 and no problems whatsoever, although no diamonds involved - just plain bands.

You've just jogged my memory, when I was eighteen (12 years ago! [:'(]) my parents bought me a diamond bracelet and it was faulty, we had to return it. It turns out there was a widespread fault as they stopped selling them. I was gutted as it was gorgeous!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I got my engagement ring from EJ in 2003 . No problems at all with it , it just had a replate before the wedding and looks brand new .

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

Both my rings are from Ernest Jones.

The ER I have some problems with, but it's more down to the setting. Basically the emerald has worked loose a few times. It's a tension setting and it seems that the original ring might have been re-sized at some point before I bought it. It's annoying, and they've fixed it twice and replaced it once. The new one seems fine. The staff in store have always been really good about it and they insured the replacement ring for free for 5 years which was good of them.

No issues with the WR, it's just a plain band though!

You might remember my ER from the other week. It's the one that looked like a sapphire in the dim light at Las Iguanas ?

• P
    Beginner August 2012
    Pesky ·
    • Hide content

When I saw the title of your topic I had two reactions. The first was instant bile rising in my throat and the rushing back of a sick feeling at the mention of Ernest Jones. The second was that I instantly registered with hitched so that I could reply to your post!

My experience with Ernest Jones has been absolute HELL.

My lovely fiance bought me a beautiful engagement ring online from a jewellers in London. I needed it resized after we returned from getting engaged in New York last Christmas and so I thought a 'reputable' (laughs out loud) jeweller like Ernest Jones would be able to do a simple thing like resize a platinum band. After chasing them for 6 weeks to get my ring back (I was told it would take 1 week). I got back a ring with a bent and spoiled setting, not much smaller than when I had taken it in.

I had to have the original jewellers in London (77 diamonds - who are amazing) reset my ring in a brand new setting at a cost to me of £500. After months of tears, stress, emailing and complaining, Ernest Jones gave me £300 as a 'good will gesture.' GOOD F****** WILL??? You ruined my ring you complete idiots.

If I were you, I would consider buying a ring online from a jewellers in London. You really do get your money's worth and the quality is so much better. I think high street jewellers are complete cowboys. My ring cost my fiance £2000 less than it was valued at.

Hope this helps and good luck! You might be fine with Ernest Jones but do you really want to risk being one of the people who are not?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my ring came from 77 diamonds too! I absolutely love it and my fiance said their service was fantastic even down to being able to pick an exact day and time for delivery when he knew I'd be out of the house LOL!

As for Ernest Jones I wouldn't risk getting anything with a setting from there but a plain band would be fine I'm sure. I bough my Mum a bangle from there last Christmas and it's fine.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

My ER is from there and i have had no problems at all. Would def recommend

xx

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

Yeah , it's a awesome shop.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

OH had my ring from Ernest Jones and they were great. It was too big when he gave it to me. We took it back and they said no way would they chop and change such a beautiful ring and they ordered me the correct size.

I thought this was great as I had just exected them to alter the original one.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply ladies. Lots of mixed reviews

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

OH got my ER from there in August. In September, one of the diamonds fell out (literally just fell out one day) and I'm still waiting for it to be fixed.

They said it can take up to 8 weeks because they have to find another diamond that's the exact size as the other 2 diamonds. I fear that I will get my ring back and it will be completely ruined Smiley sad

Whilst I understand that "these things happen", the manager of the store was really unhelpful and rude. She told my OH that he would have to pay for a new diamond etc. but he kicked up a fuss. In the end she said "well we'll send it off to the damages department and see what they say". Stupid woman.

LOL, he looked at her and said "We were gonna buy our wedding rings from here, but going by your quality we might as well use what we get from a Christmas cracker"

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

My ER is from EJ, and whilst it has been ok I would suggest looking at Hatton Gardens. We have bought our WR from the Birmingham jewellery quarter for several reasons including, cost, choice and service.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

TBH I would always avoid such chains. They order rings from warehouses and there can be delays. If there is something wrong, there will be more of a delay as they send it off to get fixed. I think it's much better to go to an independent shop. Hatton Garden sounds good, two of my friends got their rings there and they had different budgets.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Is Hatton Garden expensive?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've not been there myself but I assume it's similar to the jewellery quarter, where we found it much cheaper than average high street jewellers. I would go and have a look around, as they tend to be independant shops they are much more able to offer discounts.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't know, but the friends who bought their rings from there are not rich! One couple had a very very inexpensive wedding so I can't imagine they would have spent a lot.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

My ring is from Hatton Garden and is absolutely perfect. I have heard bad things about EJ so would be wary. I'd prefer something from an independent store anyway

• Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

I also had issues with them. My engagement ring is from there, but I needed a shaped wedding band to go with it, the price they quoted was ridiculous so we ended up going to a jewellery where we got more value for money. Generally speaking, the customer service was not great in that process, but I would say I would still use them for jewellery bought straight off the shelf but not for custom pieces.

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Both my rings are from the same place in Hatton Garden - Simon Lewis jewellers (www.thediamondshop.co.uk) It is an amazing place where you can design your ring with one of the jewellers and then either they make it for you or you and OH can make it together (with one of them around to show you what to do). My OH bought it without me there and he said what was good is that they ask you what you would like to spend and show you what you can get for your money and help you with potential designs, for example, I have a nice emerald diamond in the middle (expensive rocks) with two baguettes either side (cheaper rocks). It needed resizing when I got it as it was a bit big and I took it to the shop and collected it a couple of days later - no sending off to the workshop required as it's all on site. The other nice touch with them was I went back a couple of days before the wedding and they polished all the scrathes off my ER and cleaned it thoroughly so it looked as good as new and matched my WR - all free of charge and only took 5 minutes while I sat and waited. I know two other couples who have gone there and they all recommend it.

Just felt more personal and less factory like but couldn't tell you how it compares to high street prices as I never really looked and don't know how much my ER cost (but we are not loaded if that helps).

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

We bought our wedding rings from there, have a few issues but not gonna post all about it but over all we were happy enough Smiley smile

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. Got them from Hatton Garden today

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics