Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2011

Essex Brides? Friern Manor

Mrs_T*2B, 17 August, 2010 at 22:45 Posted on Planning 0 87

Hello Everyone!

I have just signed up after booking our wedding last week! ?

We are having a Church wedding and decided on friern manor in Dunton essex for the reception..

So really just to say Hi and if there are anyone out there who has attended or held their wedding/reception at friern and have any stories (good or bad ? would be great to hear from you!)

Cheers

x

87 replies

Latest activity by ShellG, 17 February, 2011 at 18:39
  • M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am looking to book Friern Manor , What part are you having your reception in ? I really like it but cant imagine it set up at night because there is so much natural light coming in and i worry it wont have the party atmosphere , I really love the place though so would love to hear from other brides , I am looking to get married in the marquee and then not sure what part to have reception , help appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxx

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    Mrs_N*_2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We are having our reception at Friern Manor after having the ceremony in a local church

We both fell in love with the place as soon as we saw it. I don't think you should worry about the natural light. I know two people who have had their weddings there and have heard nothing but good things!

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

Having reception at Friern Manor too! Looking forward to hearing about it ?

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

I went to a Reception there last weekend (just the evening!), the room with the Marquee bit attatched - which was very nice. I have to say they did a wonderful job. The staff were lovely and attentive (had to ask them to put more loo roll in ladies, which they done straight away). The buffet was amazing. They had a selection of sandwiches which were in fresh sliced bloomer bread, and a whole mixtures of sides, inlcuding homemade sausage rolls Yummm! All the food was served by the staff which was great.

Only downside was there wasn't much outside shelter, it got so hot in the room that people wanted to go out for fresh air, but it was pouring with rain, so they couldn't. Drnks are also a little on the pricey side... £15.00 for two pints and two Malibus & Cokes!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Where did they put the buffett , I cant imagine it set up for a party , I have only seen it in the day for a cermony! Do people stay in the house rather than the marquee attached? I only have got 80 guests but im struggling to imagine it set up in the evening with the dance floor etc...

thank you so much ! Such a big discision to make where to have the wedding!!!!

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    Mrs_N*_2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure where they put the buffet for the marquee side. We are having the coaching stables. They are very helpful so I'm sure if you called them they would be able to go through it with you. Also, have you seen the video they have there? That shows what the buffet looks like so is worth having a look.

xx

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

Do you know how to upload a photo on the forum? thanks x

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

We are looking round there on Saturday - would be an ideal location for us as we only live 5 minutes away!!

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

Perfect! I live in Hornchurch and half our guests are here, half are from Rayleigh so it's great. Uploaded my dress pic now!

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    Mrs_N*_2b ·
    • Hide content

I am originally from Hornchurch so most of my family and friends are there too. I was worried about not finding anywhere pretty enough close by but the venue is perfect!

Off the subject of venues does anyone have any recommendations for hair/make-up. Have looked at lots but do not know how to choose!

Thanks girls xx

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

I live over in Ockendon, Thurrock!!! Haven't got a date set yet, but I've chosen my venue, a place in Brentwood!!

The wedding I went to had around 80-100 people. They had the breakfast meal in the marquee bit, and then the top table was made into the buffet area, leaving the other tables where they were. The inside bit (the house) was the dance floor, and obviously the bar was next to that. Hope that helps x

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

I Live in Upminster , Where in Brentwood are you getting Married?

So would you recomend Friern Manor where you went??? Apart from the heat ? I really like the food , attention to detail there , its the house set up that puts me off!!! but i dont want people to have to travel to far and stay in hotels etc , so the location is perfect !!!!

xxx

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at De Rougemont Manor Hotel

https://www.derougemontmanor.co.uk/

I think Frein Manor is lovely, they have great grounds for Photos as well. Personally I don't like the idea of having 3 weddings in one place. My venue only accommodates one ceremony and two evening receptions, but they are at different sides of the grounds, in seperate buildings, they also have loads of bedrooms which is what we need as we have people coming from all over!

I don't think you should worry about peple travelling, its your wedding you should be happy...most people will assume there will be some extra costs either cab or hotel.

Have you looked at anywhere else? There are loads of places around our area!

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

There are no other weddings on our day and we're planning on having the reception drinks in the house then the wedding breakfast in the coaching stables. hope this helps x

ps: i have just done a make-up course if anyone would like to hire me ?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

I Would like the coaching stables better but its to expensive!!! unless i get married on a sunday ???

theres so much to decide!!!!!

has anyone considered the last minute packages you can get - ive looked at leez priory , so nice but i dont think i could do it in 3 months!!

I think il go back and look at friern manor again!!

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

They told me it was the same price for any day so I chose Saturday. Go back and tell them that!

• L
    Beginner February 2012
    Lulu2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Essex Brides!!

Just wanted to say we viewed Friern Manor a couple of times but we went with Orsett Hall in the end as we didn't feel FM was big enough for us. Anyone else had an experiences of Orsett Hall??

FM is a beautiful venue though and the food looks amazing so I am slightly sad we couldn't book it! Anyway, I am going to an evening do for a wedding at FM end of October so I'd be happy to report back to you once I've been. I'm really looking forward to it!! Good luck with the planning! ?

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

Ooo great, would love to hear about it!! I've been to a wedding at Orsett Hall, very grand! Lovely xx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

What is the cermony room like at orsett hall , thats what i like about friern manor , the feel of actually walking down the aisle!!!!

What month are you getting married mrs meehan? I went on sunday and they gave me so many diff prices!!!

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lulu... I too know Orsett Hall very well. I went there April 2009 for my sisters hen party, they do themed nights. It was a very nice venue. The only reason I haven't chosen this is their food it was rather bland, I don't think their Food Hygiene score is very good as well. But its a lovely venue all the same!

• M
    Beginner February 2011
    Mrs Meehan ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if they walked down like an aisle, it was years ago so I can't remember v well I'm afraid. I'm getting married in a church so didn't ask about any of this at Friern. Just having our reception there. It's Feb! Weird they gave you loads of diff prices?! When is your wedding?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

I was looking at summer months , maybe thats why as theres diff prices for diff months!

I may have to look earliar in the year as the summer is sooo expensive!

did you look at any other venues??

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Hornchurch too! I'm an Orsett Hall bride to be. Friern Manor was a contender too though but my OH had his heart set on Orsett Hall. Lovely to have some other local brides to be

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

What did he prefer at orsett hall - il ahve to go and have a look there !!!!!

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

TBH it was the only venue we actually went and viewed because it was the one he liked the most! His best friend who will be his BM had his reception there before it burnt down and really liked it then. We took my dad to see it too and he loved the look of the place and said we should go with our gut instinct. So that's what we did. Although if money had been no object we would have picked Gosfield Hall, for the grandure and the fact they only hold one wedding at a time. But unfortunately it was well out of our price range.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The ceremony room i have picked is the smallest and i will still be walking down the aisle and i will walk in through big double doors. If you go for the Whitmore Suite you walk in from the side and then turn left into an aisle IYKWIM. ITs a nicer entrance i think but we don't know enough people to fill the room and we weren't willing to pay a surcharge for being under numbers just for a longer aisle walk

• L
    Beginner February 2012
    Lulu2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hey!

Great to hear more about Orsett Hall! We are going for the Gold Room. Love the decoration in there and they do have an aisle to walk down as cassmk2 has said. I've had a look at the Orsett Hall listing on this website and it has been updated with some nice pics so you can see how the rooms are set up with the aisles and the tables and chairs. Will definately report back about Friern Manor! xx

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    Mrs_T*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your feedback everyone ? really good to hear positive things about Friern manor!! We are having a sat in Sept, which is the date we were set on from the start as its the same day we got engaged Smiley smile, it wasn't that much more compared to a friday in feb, but also gives us more time to save up and i didnt think it was that bad considering how much you can pay at other places.. they have set hire prices but they did have some great offers for fridays out of season so can save alot of money here if you can do everything on the quick!! were having the coaching stables area, when we went to view it the marquee/house side was set up for a wedding and looked beautiful

orsett hall is lovely we went to a wedding there last year, thought the food was v nice - the ceremony and reception were in the same room and had use of own outdoor space but they do have more than 1 wedding per day. friern manor will also have 2 receptions on the same day but the 2 areas are kept very separate so cant see that being a problem!

good luck everyonexxxx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

I like friern manor that you can choose your own menu and build it up how you like , i want my guests to be well fed!! What are the menu like at orsett hall ? i cant see that on there website???

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Orsett Hall menu is limited but delicious!

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    Mrs_N*_2b ·
    • Hide content

That's what we loved about Friern Manor too - the menu looks lovely. They have a tasting day to in March next year where those that have booked get to go and taste a variety of food and choose the wine.

My H2B was particualry keen on the bacon sandwiches at the end of the night!

xx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MARBELLA BELLE ·
    • Hide content

I loved the biscuits you got when you went to view ! they was yum!!!!!

How many people are you have to your wedding ?

Have you chosen a colour scheme yet ?

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics