Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2015

Essex wedding - venue help?!

chloezgarrard1, 28 of October of 2013 at 16:23 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi, this is my first post as I am new to this website Smiley smile I have been engaged for a little over a week and am excitedly looking for venue ideas!

I have been looking for marquee venues and also barn venues in Essex, however my ideal venue is a blank canvas so I can build up exactly what we'd like.

We'd like an outside ceremony and are considering an outside wedding breakfast and reception too. Maybe some sort of woodland theme or like the end of Mamma Mia? I'm thinking lots of lanterns, candles and relaxed! Does anyone know of anywhere or could recommend anywhere please??

Thank you so much Smiley smile xxx

23 replies

Latest activity by Sam&Louise, 1 of November of 2013 at 13:47
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Do you have any idea of what kind of budget you might be trying to work towards? Essex has loads of stunning (but mega expensive!) venues so I don't want to suggest any that are too far off the mark Smiley smile

Newland hall is a beautiful marquee venue, where you can have an outdoor ceremony (under a gazebo type thing) You'd not be able to eat outside too (as far as I am aware), but their marquee goes right out onto the lawns and theres a rusticy barn out back and a field which are beautiful for photos.

If you want a complete blank canvas, Thames chase barn offers that, but as far as i'm aware you can't have your legal ceremony there as it's not generally a wedding venue.

The Reid rooms is also a great barn venue, which is a pretty blank canvas in the sense that you get in your own caterers and can decorate as you see fit. We've seen loads of different things done there- often along the country garden, woodlands rustic themes. It works perfectly.

Maidens barn is another one- again, amazing barn venue where you can get married outside (under a structure). There's also a marquee which is generally used for the drinks reception and some outside space, a field over the back for photos/alone time (Theres a full wedding gallery for Maidens barn in my signature if you want a look)

Oh and welcome to hitched!

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

For a woodland theme I believe there is a relatively new venue http://www.heathhouse1898.com/

It's just down the road from my sister and when she visited she said it was beautiful. As they are new they may be able to do good deals too.

I can also second Pavone's suggestion of Maiden's barn Smiley smile

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Technically in the UK, you can't get married outside - you have to get married at least under a licenced structure (like a pergola etc). So if you want a really outside wedding, you'll have to do the legal bit elsewhere and then have your ceremony where you want it.

As someone who got married on a day when it chucked it down with rain (despite it not ruining it in the slightest), just make sure you have a back up plan in case of bad weather on your day.

Another black canvas venue in Essex is Ingatestone Hall. You get the land, the kitchens and the toilets and the rest is up to you. My friends got married there earlier this year and it was lovely.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched! I can't think of any other blank canvas venues other than the ones mentioned but just thought I'd say hi as a fellow Essex bride to be

• G
    gemmalawrencex ·
    • Hide content

Hello & Congratulations on your engagement!

Do you have a specific area of Essex you are looking at? I can recommend Marks Hall Coach House - it's absolutely beautiful and you can get married outside.
    Not sure about whether you can have your wedding breakfast outside though.

Festival brides have this https://www.festivalbrides.co.uk/wild-woodland-lake-glamping-colchester-essex - which looks amazing. Only downside is that you can't legally get married there. If you got married legally elsewhere though it would suit your requirements well.

If we ever renew our vows I plan on a woodland setting ..

Good Luck xx

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a friends wedding at Marks Hall Coach House. The barn is beautiful and allows outside caterers I believe. You can get married under their gazebo or in the barn, plus they can also put up an awning alongside the barn on the terrace.

Our reception in September was Crabbs Barn in Kelvedon (you can also get married there too though). Couldn't praise it high enough. The staff are so friendly and professional, the barn is stunning and the grounds are immaculate. You have to pick your caterer from a short list but couldn't fault our caterer either really. Amazing.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be pedantic, this is true for England although not in Scotland........that said, the bride wants an Essex venue so your point is correct.

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

And welcome to the forum Chloe....congratulations.....?

The girls (and a few guys) on here will help you though the battle fields of wedding planning....

Peter

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    faye_h ·
    • Hide content

Blake Hall is a barn in Essex where you can get married outside - you stand just inside an open-sided stable and the guests sit in the open.

Otherwise if the budget allows take a look at Gaynes Park, it's stunning!

We tried finding a barn venue in Essex but for various reasons couldn't find one that was just right so we extended our search to Suffolk and are getting married at Haughley Park Barn. If you don't mind extending the search area I'd recommend taking a look at Haughley, it's beautiful.

Good luck with the planning!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pedantic indeed Peter but I will let you off ?

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content

Hi fellow Essex bride!

Blake Hall is a lovely venue, my sister got married there last year. I am not sure how you would get around the ceremony part, but there is a great private home called Barnston Lodge where you hire the land - www.barnstonlodge.com. I viewed it with my sister for her wedding. That would work as a blank canvas. Also second Ingatestone Hall, the grounds are lovely and it feels very private.

I'm getting married at Fennes - definitely not a blank canvas but lovely all the same!

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content

Oh and Smeetham Hall barn is lovely too. There is another venue which I have never visited but may suit your theme - Mangapp Manor - I think you get married on a thatcued pagoda over a lake? Only open during summer.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a brill idea! Lots of people have suggested venue recs, what I'd say is just be aware of the legalities of getting married outdoors, you might need to make time for doing the legal civil bit indoors before or after.

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched. Lots of suggestions for you already and having worked at most of them I can confirm some really wonderful venues. Whereabouts in Essex are you?

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    chloezgarrard1 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all your helpful comments! And for the warm welcome Smiley smile

I live in Southend, but have been looking as far as Colchester. I guess 1 hour away would be about right!

We haven't ruled out a church so if we find a perfect venue for the reception, then that is an option.

When I said outside I did mean under a canopy, or 'roof' of some sort as I have heard that this is how it is done in England!

Many of you have provided me with some wonderful places to look at, and some of these have been mentioned to me previously.

How about a smaller venue, or a venue not specifically for a wedding? My friends are having their reception in a 'venue' joined to a nice pub/restaurant who provide the catering, and the function room has a garden. Sounds ideal but we can't have the same venue as them!

Oh and my budget is realistic but as cheap as possible!!! Smiley laugh

• G
    gemmalawrencex ·
    • Hide content

I shot a wedding last year here: https://www.thebullatgreattotham.co.uk/ - it's lovely and the staff are really friendly. The couple got married at their local church and then went here for the reception. Sort of gastro pub/restaurant.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds just like the Tower Arms in Brentwood.

There's a private garden & patio area with a marquee out back (a lovely one, with draped ceilings and walls) just for you and your guests. The garden also has a bouncy castle!

It's away from the main pub area and your guests don't need to go via/through the pub to get to your bit, they can go straight to your area from the car park.

We shot there last month and it was lovely! I was so surprised by how fancy it was.

There's also accommodation on site if that's something you were looking for. The website doesn't really show it off too well, but if it sounds like the kind of thing you're interested in you're welcome to get in touch and I can forward you a gallery from there.

http://www.towerarms.co.uk/Home

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The pub is nice but I wouldn't recommend the accommodation personally, my friends stated in the bridal suite and weren't that impressed.

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    chloezgarrard1 ·
    • Hide content

The bull is actually where my friends are getting married this weekend!! I'll definitely check out the Tower Arms as I'm hoping it is more affordable and flexible to what we want.

Thank you Smiley smile i'd love some more photos of the venue if you do have some please?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course, if you just want to drop us an email when you get a chance I'll email you the gallery over for you ?

our email is *******@*****************.**.**

Shame to hear about the accommodation Gnashers, everything else seemed tip top.

• H
    Beginner August 2013
    hannahjo ·
    • Hide content

You seem so excited Smiley smile Happy for you.. NEVER EVER compromise on your wedding venue no matter what! Its said marriages are made in heaven and hence it should be hosted somewhere beautiful!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Bonnie! ❤️

Park Inn Thurrock was gorgeous too actually, didn't know they had a marquee option!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics