Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner November 2013

Essex Wedding Venue - Ye Olde Plough House - opinions please?

pookali, 22 of January of 2014 at 14:17 Posted on Planning 0 13

Has anyone been to a wedding here recently, I have read such different things about it online, the good, the bad and the ugly?! I want to visit it but am not sure whether it is worth taking the time?

The things that appeal are it is a large venue, we will have approximately 150 guests, also we want a winter wedding so need somewhere with lots of indoor space. I like the fact that the barn looks old fashioned, and that there is a second room where the ceremony takes place. Also the price seems very reasonable. We wont be spending alot of time outdoors, so although I have heard that that grounds look fantastic this wont be the deciding factor.

The things I am concerned about is the quality of the food, some people have said the reception room is quite dark and the rooms sound horrible. In relation to the rooms, we can always stay at a diffent hotel nearby so that it not a major concern.

Does any know of the venue or has anyone been there recently.

Thanks

13 replies

Latest activity by gpc1, 5 of February of 2014 at 16:48
  • Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

It is a nice venue although I'm not sure it's big enough to accommodate 150 guests. Worth a look though. There are plenty of venues in Essex that are stunning and big enough.

• Jojopug
    Beginner October 2014
    Jojopug ·
    • Hide content

I've been to 4 weddings there in 2013 and it is really a very lovely place but i have to agree that although it is nicely laid out i don't think that it would accommodate 150 guests. The barn was lovely and i would say that the rooms were a bit like a motel and very cramped, i would say choosing to stay elsewhere is better. Also, the morning after the breakfast wasn't very good and the staff had some of us seated in one room and others from the wedding party in another which was quite frustrating.

• P
    Beginner November 2013
    pookali ·
    • Hide content

Oh interesting, thanks for your opinions. I am also considering colchester town hall, have either of you been there. The only thing I don't like the look of is that there is only one large rooms for a ceremony. Do you know what people usually do. Like I know at islington town hall guests usually go to a pub for drinks while they set up after the ceremony?

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    WontBaJonesmuchlonger ·
    • Hide content

Are you looking anywhere in essex??

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

I've not seen Colchester town hall.

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

There are some fantastic venues in Essex that will cater for 150.

Gaynes park, Parklands, Fennes and Braxted Hall are all big enough and all all lovely venues. Depends on your location and how far you want to go.

• Jojopug
    Beginner October 2014
    Jojopug ·
    • Hide content

Have to say i went to view Gaynes park and it is stunning, the converted barn is just gorgeous and there is lots of space!

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

What venue have you chosen JoJo?

• Jojopug
    Beginner October 2014
    Jojopug ·
    • Hide content

I was planning on marrying abroad but due to family i couldn't so we are marrying at Langdale Chase in Cumbria

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Oh ok....A long way from Gaynes Park!

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Oh ok....A long way from Gaynes Park!

• Jojopug
    Beginner October 2014
    Jojopug ·
    • Hide content

Yes it just kind of happened, we discovered that venturing further afield is a lot cheaper than staying local, we got twice as much for our money than we would have in essex!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We've shot there before Smiley smile It's a lovely venue- although I think 150 would be awfully cramped.

The last time we worked there the couple had 9 tables of 8 + the top table, so approx 80 guests total. There was probably space for around 4 more tables comfortably with the way they had things laid out- anything else would have been a bit of a squeeze I think.

Food wise, I honestly can't remember, but know we ate there that day. If it had been bad i'd have remembered! There was a powercut there that day though and bless them, they had a plan B and everything was absolutely fine, so pat on the back to them for that!

I wouldn't say the reception room was dark either. There are lots of windows on both sides of the room. If you'd like to see a gallery from so you can decide whether it might be worth going to see you're more than welcome to get in touch and I can send one over to you. It might give a better idea?

• G
    gpc1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi There

Ye olde plough house is a nice venue. Its situated by a small village called Bulphan and is on the A128 between the A13 and the A127. It has lovely grounds, is in the countryside and has decent rooms on site.

There are 2 other venues nearby.

The Old rectory at Dunton. Small, beautiful grounds and quaint.

Friern Manor - Grand, large, stunning (I have shot there a few times www.gregcoltmanphotography.com) but can be had for a resonable price.

There is also Orsett Hall.

All of the above are situated within ten minutes of each other so a quick drive around all three can be done in a morning to get a feel.

Personally, i love Friern Manor. Im shooting a wedding there in April and looking forward to it.

Hope you find what you need

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics