Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2014

ESTA - Help!

KyleighB, 28 of November of 2014 at 08:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2

Does anyone know much about the ESTA form you have to fill in for entry to the USA?

We're off on honeymoon to New York for 3 nights then off to Antigua so we both need to fill in an ESTA but im getting confused over some of the questions!!

One of the questions is - "Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?" I've read this as are you travelling through America to get someone else. The only option is yes or no. So although we are going to New York we are technically passing through?! Confusing!!

Also, the question - "Do you have a current or previous employer?" Husband has been self employed for as long as I can remember. Does this mean he does or doesnt?! Again, it only gives you the option of yes or no!!

Any of you lovely people know the answers?

2 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 29 of November of 2014 at 08:54
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I read the transit thing the same way as you did (i.e. you're just in the US to go somewhere else). As you're hanging around for a while i'd say it's not transit. Why would they care where you're going after your holiday there? None of their business (they probably disagree with that ?)

That employer question is just really badly put isn't it? Why they can't be clearer about what they mean is beyond me. Has he had a previous employer? Maybe you could tick yes because he has in the past worked for someone else?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

it's $14 if you apply directly rather than using a travel agent. There's lots of fake websites or agencies that charge a fee to do it for you. Are you using this website? https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

We travelled earlier this year but I don't remember the employment question. Might have changed since then i guess.

As for the transit question, i'd say No. We were in a similar position - we travelled to NY for 5 nights then on to Aruba. We didnt have any problems by clicking no anyway! I see transit as more of a layover type thing, a few hours stuck in the airport waiting for a connecting flight.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I would also read transit as a stopover on a flight or for a cruise you only need to have an address for the first night in the US. Don't remember the employment question either but basically think they are just checking if you are employed which he is so answer yes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics