Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2010

evening buffet?

mrs.g.anderson2b, 20 of May of 2010 at 16:58 Posted on Planning 0 23

Is anyone not having an evening buffet? we arnt sitting down for dinner until 4pm , so wonder whether its worth having an evening buffet or not?

funds are short also so thinking this is a way that we can not bankrupt ourselves.....

23 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 22 of May of 2010 at 08:55
  • Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there Mrs G! ?

Our Wedding Breakfast meal is also at about 16:00 and we have decided to have our buffet at 21:00 and we are only catering for 40 people (50%)

Hope that helps!

Sara

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

how many are you having for the day and are you inviting more for the evening?? and what time are you finishing?

if not some ideas on here have been supplying some hot bacon rolls later on /cheese rolls

or a cheese platter??

this will bring cost down but feed the peckish??

• M
    Beginner September 2010
    mrs.g.anderson2b ·
    • Hide content

Having 40 during day and h2b wanted all and sundry to the evening so if everyone attends then will be about 150 in total for evening.

have hardly had any rsvps back for the evening so was going to do the buffett for 50 people. if people cant have the courtesty to rsvp and just turn up, why should i have the courtesy to feed them? feel a bit desperate chasing for responses....

dont know what to do...i know its etiquette but we just dont have the money.....

• *PJ*
    Beginner July 2010
    *PJ* ·
    • Hide content

We not going to be sat down till about 5, got 100 guests coming then got about 70 evening guests coming, we are going to get 200 pasties.much cheaper!!

P xx

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel love, we're in the same boat. We're having our sit down meal at 3pm for 150 guests and then our evening reception starts at 7pm with the day guests plus 100 more. I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do for feeding. I'm thinking of having a small buffet that I cook myself (basically buying up our local Iceland's party stock) cos we're skint.

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

We're only catering for 2/3s of our guests as part of the evening buffet. I wasn't planning to have one as I NEVER see them at weddings so I didn't see the point. Then OH pointed out that the reason why I never see them is because everyone scoffs the food so quickly. Our venue also told us not to underestimate how hungry people get after a bit of a boogie. I was still a bit unsure, so we're just bringing out our cake, the sweetie buffet and a cheese platter for the evening - and to be honest, I still think we've gone overboard!

But sister also said that I'm going to need the buffet to sober a few people up because my friends do tend to go a bit OTT on the champers....

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

We are having bacon rolls at about 9pm - that should help soak up some booze. We sit down for dinner at about 4pm. Will also have lots of sweets out at the evening reception too.

We wanted the bacon rolls or bread and cheese as cheaper than a buffet. I think it would be good to feed people in the evening if you possibly can!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I've done a few weddings recently where they haven't had a buffet as such, but served the wedding cake with teas and coffee instead. Seems to go down well.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

well we're sitting down to dinner at about 5! and We're still having the buffet! We're having people to the evening do that wont be at the whole wedding so i think it would be rude not to have something for them!

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

We are having one but thats cause its included in the package.

I'd maybe have one, either do it yourself (you could easily do it for cheap) or just cater for about 40 people....?

x

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some venues dont allow to bring your own food...so just check that one first! I know mines allows you to bring your own shortbread for the tea/coffee reception and you can bring tray bakes for the evening. Hot food/sandwiches cannot be brought in!!

• snap
    Beginner June 2011
    snap ·
    • Hide content

I started a thread on this topic the other day because im not having one either, because i cant afford the venues prices, and because we are having a late meal, and the venue dont allow you to bring your own food.

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS, we're catering for over half for supper.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter is marrying at 3pm and they are having the main buffet after the ceremony and the photos which they reckon will be around 5pm serving. They decided against an evening buffet because most of the guests said they wouldn't really be hungry with eating so late so instead they are having two wedding cakes - one four tier wedding cake in a wonky style which they are serving as the desert at the main meal and also a 3 tier pork pie cake which they are cutting up for the evening do and serving with mushy peas which all the guests we've spoken to think is a brill idea and much better than another full buffet!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

We looked into this as well but at £4.50 per roll, we thought it was too expensive for what it was. Plus my husband has a compulsive obsession that all his food has to be piping hot (he gets really agitated if his food isn't instantly on his plate from the oven and it must burn his mouth or he's not happy!) so he was worried that people at the end of the queue would end up with cold, greasy butties so we went for the pork pie idea instead!

• Frizzball
    Beginner October 2010
    Frizzball ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

I would never invite someone to a function and not feed them

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies, I waa planning on feeding all 150 evening guests but after reading these posts I'm not so sure!!!

We are having 5pm ceremony with hot buffet at 6/half 6, then a cold buffet at around half 8 for eve guests. Do you think I need to feed all 150?? *gets excited that might be saving some pennies!*

• *PJ*
    Beginner July 2010
    *PJ* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What does WWS mean?? sorry, see it all the time hand havent a clue!!! thought id ask!!

P xx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, the advice we got from the venue was if you are marrying late and having evening guests within a few hours of the main guests eating their first buffet, their experience is that lots of food gets left so to cater for less than the number invited on the evening. Apparently, evening guests tend to eat anyway before they arrive just to make sure that they have actually had something to eat in case there isn't anything left IFSWIM ! I certainly wouldn't want feeding again if I'd only eaten 2/3 hours ago but I know some people do eat more than they normally would if it's free ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It means What She Said ! - Don't worry, it took me a year to find out what LOL meant!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

We got married at 3pm and by the time we sat down to eat it was almost 5.30 after all the pics had been taken & we managed to prise the guests away from the bar!

We just catered for 50% of the guests in the evening & to be honest there was so much food left over.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics