Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner October 2013

Evening buffet

Katemat, 28 of March of 2013 at 16:15 Posted on Planning 0 12

Could really do with some advice. I'm getting married in October at 2pm. We will then be having a three course meal at 4 and I'm a bit stuck about a buffet in the evening. We are on a bit of a budget, but have to use the venues caterers. One option that we like the idea of is cones of chips. However, my mum thinks to this wont be enough food. I think she also thinks that it will look cheap. As most people will have eaten a big meal at 4 and asking into account that most guests will be more focused on booze, I think it's a good idea. But I don't want it to look cheap and achy. What do you think??

12 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownHair140, 15 of February of 2015 at 22:25
  • M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

I think the cone of chips sound like a good idea. But will this be the only food on offer in the evening? Could you do a cone of chips and posssibly something else? I went to a wedding where each table had a basket of chips and a sausage sandwich each :-)

• Poppy14
    Beginner April 2014
    Poppy14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, We're on a budget too and our evening food is cassoulet with crusty bread and a large cheese board with chutneys etc. Works out about £6 a head. We didn't want anything too much for the same reasons as you but we have 40 more guests coming in the evening so need something.

chips sounds good, I'd be happy with that as a guest :-)

My sister had bacon and fish finger butties which went down well too.

I don't think anyone would expect too much in the evening x

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

We are having a hog roast, not sure it would fit your budget but you could try?

xxx

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

I'd be perfectly happy with a cone of chips! I can't imagine anyone thinking it looks cheap - more like, "I've had a few beers by now and a cone of chips is absolutely spot on" Smiley smile

We're also eating around 4pm, and not doing a huge amount of evening food. Around 9.30pm we're having sausage sandwiches, a lovely big tower of cheese and the wedding cake.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I don't think cones of chips looks cheap at all - we're looking at chips and bacon rolls but lots of wedding these days do snacky food in the evening instead of the traditional buffet. Most weddings I've been to I barely notice the evening food anyway as I'm still stuff from dinner and concentrating on the alcohol!!

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing very similar to what's been mentioned already - bacon butties, chips and a cheese tower for a bit of choice. I really wouldn't worry about chips looking cheap, when people have asked me what we're having and I've told them their mouths have started watering at the thought!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We're also hoping to go for a giant cheeseboard. Bread, cheeses, chutneys, jams, biscuits and salad Smiley smile

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Basically the same as above. We got told the normal buffet was £15.50 per person and the food was awful, few sandwiches and crisps.

Managed to get chips and bacon sandwiches for £6.50 - reaction has been great from the people I have told so far.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Ploughman's, lots of cheese, chutneys, breads etc- reasonable and quite substantial too in my opinion.

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

Our deal we got was sandwhiches for 80 which I am not happy with as there is no choice. To put 2 more things on the buffet cost £497 ☹️ we have settled for 80 sausage rolls which is costing us £300 so I am putting a sweetie table in aswell as I feel really bad I do not want people to think we didn't want to feed them

• PinkLady3
    Beginner September 2014
    PinkLady3 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding reception last year and the food in the evening was bacon butties and chips. They were yummy and went down v well! Smiley smile x

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think chips and the other food mentioned above /\ sounds yummy! It is always nice to have some food like that to pick at if you are a bit hungry and l am guessing a lot of people will be full from the food earlier on in the day.

• S
    Beginner July 2016
    SunnyBrownHair140 ·
    • Hide content

Hi poppy,

i was was just wondering if you got married at yeldersley hall and if you have any feedback about them?

Thanks

kat

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics