Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kj82
Beginner December 2010

Evening buffet - how many to cater for?

kj82, 15 of November of 2010 at 17:04 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi ladies,

We are having a hot buffet at around 6pm for ceremony guests. We will be having a further 100 guests in the evening. How many would you cater for in the evening? All 140? Or do you think we could get away with just the extra 100?? All thoughts welcome, thank you! xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Sarah-Em, 15 of November of 2010 at 19:37
  • H
    Beginner January 2018
    heath1980 ·
    • Hide content

I would say 140

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Our venue have told us to cater for about 75% of the number of evening guests.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours too - its actually part of our contract.

HTH

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hi

ours have said 80% of the total number so around that number will be fine

• MrsKeating2B
    Beginner April 2011
    MrsKeating2B ·
    • Hide content

We are having 60 guests for a 3 course carvery at 3pm then 140 guests for a buffet at 7pm.. We are catering for 120 at night.. the majority of people wont eat a great deal after eating earlier plus the time people come to the evenign doo at 6:30 majority will have had a bit of something to eat..nothing worse than wasted food!x

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

You will not believe how many beautiful buffets I've seen being tipped into bin liners at the end of the evening.....and how many times a bride has bundled me up with a massive doggy bag for the drive home.

It is actually a hard one to get right. On one hand you don't want wastage and on the other you don't want the embarrassment of there not being enough (have only seen this happen once). You've also got to put into the mix that different venues have a different interpretation of a guest's appetite. I'd say 75-80% of your guests is a pretty good guess.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi!

normally I'd say about 75% - or at least that's what our venue have recommended and what we decided to do but our Wedding breakfast is a sit-down 3 course meal and it's at about 3pm. Seeing as yours is rather later in the day I'd probably cater for 50% of the toal numver of guests, i.e. 70-75 guests... Unless you think they will all be hungry! LOL I think it depends, for instance I know in our case there are quite a few people who are not big eaters and who never eat at the evening dos (we've attended a few together), so we know we can safely get away with catering for 75%.

Hope this helps! xxx

• Sarah-Em
    Beginner September 2011
    Sarah-Em ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hot buffet between about 16:00-18:30 and then a cheeseboard in the evening which will be served at about 20:30, our venue has suggested that we cater for 75% of our evening guests . . . although apparently the cheeseboard is a hit and there's never anything left by the end.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics