Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S

Evening 'Buffet' Ideas- Help!

Sarahcliff, 9 July, 2008 at 14:24 Posted on Planning 0 34

Hi there

The venue we are getting married at is very flexible on what we have in the evening and I would like to come up with something really different (i'm a pain I know!) now I have the usual ideas of Cheese board / Hog Roast / BBQ / Mini Burgers / Fish & Chips / PIzzas.

But I want some other ideas that i can impress my guests with

PLease help me!!

Thank you Sarah xx

34 replies

Latest activity by chrissi, 9 June, 2010 at 23:12
  • claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

this is ours

Selection of Sandwiches

Cajun Spiced Chicken Skewers

Thai Spiced Salmon Fishcakes

Selection of Mixed Quiches

Homemade Sausage Rolls

Goats Cheese & Tomato Spring Rolls

Onion Bhajis

Croque Monsieur

Parma Ham & Peach Wedges

Homemade Fresh Cream Chocolate Éclairs

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

What about mini fajitas, with nachos etc or you could have food served on a lazy susan for people to interact over the food. This works well for thai style food, different skewers with vegetables, fish and meat or a maybe a noodle bar or sushi?

Ruth

x

• S
    Sarahcliff ·
    • Hide content

Good good thank you thats what I am talking about, I know that hotels etc do lovely buffets with sandwiches, rolls quiches etc but I wanted to be an individual and do our own thing!]

thanks very much!!

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

Bacon butties?

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

SOme ideas here: https://www.carfraemill.co.uk/venue/wedding-scottish-borders

I love the idea of a fondue but not sure on the practicality of it...

How about a 'round the world' style buffet - one traditional item from a range of countries then you can put info sheets next to each dish on where it originates from - an educational buffet!!

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing bacon and egg butties with chips!!! Yum!!!!!

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

What about a huge paella? We had a veggie one alongside our hog roast and most people ate that too - it was in one of those huge pans - about 1.5m accross!! It would certainly be different!

• D
    Beginner October 2009
    Domrepbride ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah

I recently went to a reception and they the following which was fantastic.

Salad,Potato Salad, Coleslaw, a selection of wraps (Cheese, Tuna and Beef), Fresh pizza, Onion Baji's and Chicken.

It made a change from the normal sarnies.

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

oh well, sorry that my buffet isnt individual enough for you? i quite like it

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds delicious to me. I'd rather have lots of choice. Although bacon butties are lovely, I'd prefer more options along side them.

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

thanks CD, that was my thought too x

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

This is mine. It's not very different or original but I may get some roller skating chimps to serve it up ?

Selection of Cured Italian Meats
    Freshly Baked Rustic Bread
    Farmhouse Pate, Spiced Pear Chutney
    Smoked Fish Platter
    Great British Cheeses, Fig and Almond Wheel v Cold Roast Chicken, Tarragon Mayonnaise
    Broccoli and Stilton Quiche

Tomato and Red Onion Salad
    Red Cabbage Coleslaw
    Tuna Niçoise Salad
    Traditional Potato Salad

Selection of Fresh Seasonal Fruit

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i would have them wearing pink tutus as well.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooooh, now that does sound lovely!

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The food or the chimps? ?

Claires - tutus? Now you're just being ridiculous. It's a wedding, not a circus. Tsk.

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

oh sorry, i thought you were trying to be 'different'

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

There's a fine line between 'different' and tasteless.

(I may give them some sparkly revolving bow ties though. Much more classy).

?

• S
    Sarahcliff ·
    • Hide content

no no no not at all! I really appreciate your ideas and I love it but I am going very traditional breakfast and usually I am quite quirky so I thinjk everyone will be expecting something a little different from me!

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you or your yummy buffet - Smiley smile

xxxx

• S
    Beginner July 2008
    Shilling2b ·
    • Hide content

We are having a cheese cake so we are having that for the evening snack with some home made pates buiscuits and bread etc if people want to make it into sandwiches etc.

Think you just need to work out what most of your guests really like to eat! Oh and make sure it is easy to eat as otherwise people wont bother.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

It's great when people try to be a bit different but as a wedding supplier who only survives at weekends by eating buffets, remember that it still needs to be food that a variety of people will want to eat. While Claires isn't entirely 'different' (sorry Claires) the flavours and and individual dishes are actually quite quirky twists on the norm.

Fondues work for intimate weddings. Bacon sarnies and the like (always a great choice) are ideal for the larger weddings.

One of the best ways to be different/quirky is to choose a theme. i.e Carribean, indian, Thai, traditional British etc. Then you can do suitable twists that suit everybody.

Traditional British with a mediterranean twist could be - mini yorkshires with sausage and Gravy, sausage and cheese on a stick but chorizo sausage and feta, One big hot serving of a regional dish (my cousin had a big pan of scouse at her wedding in liverpool) alongside a mediterranean dish such as paella etc, etc.

HTH.

x

p.s Claires, I'd be hopping up and down with delight if I spied your buffet from the stage. Count Duckula's too actually!

• Laurella
    Beginner August 2008
    Laurella ·
    • Hide content

We are having a pudding buffet, cakes, biscuits, fruit and cheese.

• Fenella Fudge
    Beginner June 2008
    Fenella Fudge ·
    • Hide content

We had gorgeous little fancy cakes like mini creme brulee, lemon meringue, trifle in small but tall glasses! Looked fab! Not that I ate any!

• C
    Beginner November 2008
    corrie ·
    • Hide content

Depends what will impress your guests. Knowing my friends and family it will be something there is a lot of and goes well with beer and wine !

So its cold meat and cheeses with baps and crackers and salads etc. With sausages, pork pies and veggies quiche things. Then big fat chips on the side !

I wouldn't worry about impressing people - more making sure there is a good choice and plenty of good quality food. And spend more on the decorations or entertainment which would give more of a wow factor than fancy food (in my opinion !)

• hely08
    Beginner September 2009
    hely08 ·
    • Hide content

How about spanish tapas selection or cured meats and cheeses ? or

fish and chip van turing up ?

TBH tho at most weddings ive been to not much gets eaten and the simpler the better as most people want to get back to dancing and drinking !!! ( maybe thats just my friends and family ?) so bacon sarnies or finger buffet usually go down well !

however loved the idea above of a mini pudding buffet YUM

oh and Claires i thought your selection of food sounded lovely and also a twist on the tradition !!

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

its too late, i am hurt, i shall be crying into my chicken skewers and sausage rolls now?

only joking.

• Monkeybear959
    Beginner June 2008
    Monkeybear959 ·
    • Hide content

We had massive bacon butties with bottles of ketchup or brown sauce around the place... everybody loved it! Especially my husband!!

Claire xx

• **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

We had meze as part of our meal (wedding abroad so it wasnt actually different for there) but it was good for my guests because plates of things were just put all over the tables and everyone had to dig in and were chatting away.

I think the idea of a theme is good, depends what kind of food you and h2b like. Do you have any kind of theme for your wedding which you could incorporate? That would make it more unique.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The options at my venue are very similar to yours, and I'm happy with it, half of it probably will get left anyway!!

• C
    Beginner July 2017
    chrissi ·
    • Hide content

Hi im having the traditional buffet but then i have 2 chafe's 1 will have chicken curry and the other will have a stew in you can get a chafe from any catering store for about £30 and about £7 for a pack of 12 cans to keep the food warm. hope that gives you some idea you could put anything in these tho like soups, paella's, casseroles, chilli's, pasta's and the list could go on and on i hope this helps

• buggerlugs
    Beginner June 2012
    buggerlugs ·
    • Hide content

Here is ours-

Selection of open sandwiches

King prawn and brown shrimp cocktail

Selection of cured meats and pickles

Marinated olives and vegetables

Pork, duck and cranberry roulade with smoked bacon

Curried squash with lime crème fraiche

Home smoked salmon crostini

Beef Blanquette, tarragon dumplings

Chocolate espresso tart

Pistachio biscotti

• N
    Beginner September 2010
    nic&al ·
    • Hide content

We are having Bacon butties, sausage butties and homemade chip butties. Yum Yum! Our venue calls it a footballers buffet so will go down VERY well with OH mates. Love fajita & nacho idea that was suggested. Would definately impress me xx

• C
    Beginner July 2017
    chrissi ·
    • Hide content

I didnt even look at the date lol it came up when i searched for recipes and ideas on bing lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics