Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*libby*
Beginner June 2011

evening buffet numbers??

*libby*, 23 February, 2011 at 15:57 Posted on Planning 0 10

My venue have said we must cater for 100% of our evening guests, we are having a bbq.

I said that everywhere else suggested we cater for 75% as it doesn't always get eaten but she said if we don't cater for 100% there won't be enough plates!

What if a lot of people don't show up? Could I just say we have slightly less guests than we have invited to get around this as the venue holds 150 so we wont go over the numbers as we've invited less than 100 because of this...its £18.50 for the bbq so it does add up on top of everything else!!

What are you doing?

10 replies

Latest activity by mrs a to be, 23 February, 2011 at 20:01
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We were originally told this as our numbers for the night are 80 and any additional guests will be charged at £13.95. We have invited 95 people so far but only telling them we have 80 coming. No way are we paying anymore ?

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has an evening buffet which the minimum for is 75% but we weren't keen on the choices so went for one of their other options (there were 4 evening opitions to choose from). We've gone for sausages, bacon and eggs served in baps witha cone of chips and are having it served about 9pm. It's half the price of the main evening buffet option but we have to cater for 100%.

Does your venue do other options you could consider?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We are catering for 100% - simply because if the food runs out and you only catered for 75% then they will tell you that this is why the food ran out and you won't have a leg to stand on - our wedding is going to be quite big with lots of big eaters so this is a concern for us.

If you aren't worried about this and there is a significant cost saving - I'd consider a small white lie - I mean it's not likely that they will stand and count the people in the room anyway - the plate thing does make sure it is well monitored though, not sure how you would get around that one?! Although it does assume people won't go back for seconds so perhaps if asked that could be your reason.

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

The other option is a normal buffet (still suggesting 100%) but h2b is the bbq king amongst our group of friends so we def want the bbq!

I am thinking more if people don't show up and food getting wasted but i guess for those that don't show up there will be enough that take seconds!

The last wedding we went to most of the buffet didn't get eaten and it all got thrown away so i think thats whats making me think about it, although the wedding before that the food was gone before we even realised the buffet had been put out!

With the cost of everything I just want to make sure we aren't paying out more than we need to but don't want to run out of food either!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a bbq and have been told we need to cater for 100% which is 100 people. Therefore, we're inviting about 130 people instead. I don't expect everyone (especially the children and older guests) to eat a full persons portion, so if we can't under-cater, I'd rather over-invite!

Most people will be milling about round the bar, outside patio and the evening room so I don't think an extra 30 people will be noticed.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We get an evening buffet included for 75% of our day guests, of which there are now 65...

We have another 30 coming in the evening but have decided not to cater for them, I always see food wasted at weddings and so didn't want to waste the money tbh!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Venue seemed fine with it and tbh I don't reckon all of those 30 will turn up, we haven't had their RSVP back yet and deadline was last Friday!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Our venue said the same so we have been naughty and said we only have 90 in the evening- we actually have 130...

Food always gets wasted at weddings in the evening, it's such a waste! They are not likely to count everyone that arrives either (hopefully lol)

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

We have to pay for 120 guests but can have upto 150 (they can get license for 180 if we need!!) but no way would i cater for 100% anyway....... i think ur venue is being abit unfair

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics